MGWCC #807 — “That’s a Stretch”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

Awaiting beam after a late start due to travel. Fun one, and definitely in the week 1 sweet spot.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Beamed on board using all clues and instructions. I do think that it might be possible to solve with downs only and no instructions. Like @BarbaraK, I'd love to hear about how it was done.
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:00 pm
I did figure it out without instructions (but checked before submitting). I can't imagine how someone could get the meta downs only and no instructions. If someone does, I'd also love to hear Tuesday about how you did it.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Beamed aboard, nice puzzle!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Busy day and didn't get this started until late. I'm waiting to be beamed up.
Cindy Heisler
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

Needed this and the wsj after going 0 for 2 last weekend.

I was planning on doing this puzzle (and wsj) on my drive from Denver to Chicago/Michigan this weekend. Since I have these done, does anyone have any favorites from the past? I started a year ago, so anything before that.
Last edited by Kwyjibo on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Late start and a super quick solve. Happy fall weekend everyone!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally was able to do the puzzle (after work!) and am beamed up now
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted...

...and beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Got started late (loooong day today), but happy to be beamed up. Finally the week 1 we'd been waiting for!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed! On page two here with over 350 correct answers. Are people just not bothering to post?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This is def a good downs only no instructions if you’re into that sort of thing.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting the transporter beam.

I, for one, am glad this one was so easy, as was (for me) the WSJ. Last thing I want to do while visiting my daughter’s is sit in my hotel working on the meta. (Not that I would…)
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

submitted. beam pending.
ajk

Post by ajk »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 pm Beamed! On page two here with over 350 correct answers. Are people just not bothering to post?
I suspect that Matt's subscription base contains many people who are not regulars on (or perhaps even aware of) this forum.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed. A nice week one on week three. Thanks, Matt!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 pm Beamed! On page two here with over 350 correct answers. Are people just not bothering to post?
Since Matt has a leaderboard, a lot of people don't post here. I for one beamed up yesterday and forgot to post!
Heidi
rjy

Post by rjy »

Cool puzzle, cool week one, but geeeeez! this was totally unsolvable downs-only, no-instructions… I love that Matt does this concept, and want him to continue because it’s a very cool challenge, but every so often (OK, to be fair this might only be the second time) the puzzles aren’t always published with that notion in mind. I can’t think of any way this one could have been solved in this manner. Please post if you got it - would love to hear what your toehold was.
Ray
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Nice to get one after missing the recent ones...beamed up.