"Sound Logic" November 17, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

Made it to shore. Hiya all!
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore. Such a great movie.
ricky

Post by ricky »

This one has to have been hard to get if you hadn't seen the movie. I had, and it was one of my fastest WSJ solves ever, around 7m total for the grid and the meta.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore with a nice chuckle. Great movie IMHO, but perhaps a bit obscure. If you don't know it, I can't imagine how you would solve.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Well, I played and played with this one and then something from the past came back to me. On a total long shot I checked that something out and there it was! I therefore claim ashore.

I’m beat 🥱!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach.

A strangely direct swim for a Gaffney puzzle.

In honor of 80s week, I'm going to have a Bartles & Jaymes wine cooler. Thank you for your support.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Count me on shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

A slow and steady progression to the shore has resulted in 207 on the beach and one keeping Isaac company

New to the shore are

Adajeo
Schmeel
diplomatt
Grover
Tcassutt
Matthew
DannyWalter
caf.caf Cathy
iblinked
cheekumbaldy
bread-girl
Flamel616
Susan G
ricky
boxofrain
rexthree
BreeZynCO
JeanneC
mitchel674

Good luck to all winning the mug and have a great Thanksgiving holiday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Not a spoiler (I hope), but a twist is that people often misremember the name of this movie. (I almost did.)
PapZ

Post by PapZ »

So happy to join you all ashore! It's been too long, and it's so nice to see you all again. May I please have an NA beer?
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

It would be great if this week muggle winner is from a specific location quoted in the movie (and not my city since there are no cities in Dagobah)
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I keep up with movies very well and I’m sure I would have seen the one in question. Something just isn’t clicking for me though, that would connect to what I see in the puzzle.
This afternoon I will be absorbed in preparation for a big holiday week, so I humbly report myself at sea.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

I haven’t seen the movie, but a quick Google search landed me on shore!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Aragorn wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:10 pm [A} twist is that people often misremember the name of this movie.
In one sense true, but is not the name of a thing the word or words people actually use to name it? (I submitted the name identified by this latter sense.) Perhaps the title of the thing is immutable. All of these words here are simply me remembering that I chose the path I did knowingly and hoping that, if this word or these words identify the result in question, the Journal gods take both paths -- the title and the name -- as valid. Not to mention furthermore that the then draw my name for the mug as a result.
Momo

Post by Momo »

Ashore! I had help from my husband who got it right away (after I showed him what I had so far). Once he made the quote I knew it was right. If you haven’t seen The movie, get it! You will laugh out loud!! Two cosmos and one mug please!!
TheKater

Post by TheKater »

Very late start this weekend but a quick trip to shore for once. Spotted Cow, please!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Aragorn wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:10 pm Not a spoiler (I hope), but a twist is that people often misremember the name of this movie. (I almost did.)
The "common" name and the technically correct title are close enough. And as the WSJ apparently has a human check the subject line of the randomly selected email, either name/title would indicate that the sender figured out the solution correctly.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Really nice day which included walking the Trolley Trail over the salt marshes around Stoney Creek, CT. Then (in contrast), hacking a ton of poison ivy (?) vines from the trees around our new house before they bring the trees down onto our new house. Anyway, long story short… having a nice G&T with Isaac because I guess I didn’t see the movie! Hey Isaac… turn the sound up please, I can’t hear the movie!
One world. One planet. One future.
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Finally ashore
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

I knew the answer immediately even though I'd never seen the movie. So I watched it last night. Very enjoyable, should have seen it years ago.