"Counting Calories" - December 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am
SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 am Had not had much luck in the last few months. Thought my Meta Mojo had deserted me entirely. Did the grid last night and saw nothing. Looked at it this morning and found the right path. Count me ashore. I have another observation, but it might be taken as a spoiler, so I won't say it until Monday, even though I don't think it would help anyone except to maybe confirm what they have already found.
43A must have been the inspiration for you
Yes, I'm sure that's what did it. Always nice to get a nod from MG.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning Muggles. And kudos to Mike for including the names of two of our muggles in the grid.

And welcome to our newest muggles, Softie, Homer Buckle and higgysue

Finally thanks for the responses to our states represented. We are up to 33 muggle states

We have 23 of us keeping Isaac in business and 47 on the shore

On the ship with Isaac are
sharkicicles
Joe R
ErikThor
Softie
Hector
MajorDomoTom
scooby
Tom S
tim1217 - and thanks for the poem
Julie O
Janet P
spotter
Jennifer
MaineMarge
Cynthia J
Ed S
Doug C
Anita
Jacksull
Peter L
CallMeshane
jag
and your humbled tour director

and the shore party is
damefox
Scott M
Beth T
Laura
docison
Chris
Wendy
joequavis
Barbara K
Les
Tmart
Meg
Cindy
Mark L
Frankie
oldjudge
Beth A
Bird Lives
Eric P
Fkelly
Billkatz
orsys
seans
John B
Al
DBMiller
Devilbunny
Patty
Beth C
Heidi
horsesense
Mark C
Tina
djquimby
Homer Buckle
Janet
Brian
Guy L
LaceyK
Juliet
SewYoung
rolias
Ann and Micheal
Kay
and streroto

Now back to trying to figure this out before the Pats game
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Tunneling from one rabbit hole to the next, our crew took a wrong turn, and currently find ourselves waylaid in a cave with chandeliers, billionaires, and little fella from the mid-West -- with his hand in my back pocket! On a brighter note, we're knocking back the most excellent chard!

Perhaps 18-A on Sunday with any luck.

---edit---
WHOA! - Updated from the Wine Cave. No sooner posted than discovered what lies atop this bounteous wine cave. Why, naturally, here we find the splendid TIKI BAR.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Isaac - I'll take a Tequila Sunrise in a Big Gulp, please

(pretty sure that's NOT the answer this week)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

DaveKennison wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 am Did the puzzle this afternoon. Had no idea about the meta until just now, but ... I’m ashore!

And I’m in Colorado.
Greetings from Boulder!
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

May the holidays bring you all what you most need! Keeping Isaac company for now -- on the road tomorrow for the duration, so if no flash of divine insight comes quickly, I'll stay aboard and toast you all with something muggliscious.

Enjoy whatever festivities come your way. Onward to 2020!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I have been making chocolate covered cherries this week and so have two jars of cherry juice left over. Being reluctant to pour it out I am mixing it with ginger ale and vodka. Not a bad little holiday drink and a lovely pinkish/reddish color. Now I just need a name for my drink. I looked on the internet to see if such a drink already had a name and couldn't find it. Sounds like a task for the Muggles. Please help me name my drink.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm As a side note, this week I was wondering if we have muggles from all 50 states (and DC). In looking through what I have, I could confirm muggles in all states except: Alaska, Arizona, Alabama, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Washington state.

I am sure that I have missed muggles from these states but let me know.

As a side note, we have muggles in Ontario and Switzerland. Not sure if there are any other countries that people live in.
Arizona here! (And formerly Hawaii if that counts)
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

I was hung up for the last day, but the light bulb finally came on and I am on shore. A fun one that I liked.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 pm I have been making chocolate covered cherries this week and so have two jars of cherry juice left over. Being reluctant to pour it out I am mixing it with ginger ale and vodka. Not a bad little holiday drink and a lovely pinkish/reddish color. Now I just need a name for my drink. I looked on the internet to see if such a drink already had a name and couldn't find it. Sounds like a task for the Muggles. Please help me name my drink.
My hostess at last night's party mixed Champagne and cranberry juice and called it a Poinsettia!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm Finally got a chance to do the puzzle. Count me ashore! I'm taking care of my 92 year old mother who fell and broke her shoulder and pelvis, so I wasn't even sure I would have time for the grid. Luckily she naps a lot. And, I think she'll be fine in a few weeks. Waiting for the PT to come. Hope they can get her to walk. My back is sore from lifting her all the time.

If you don't hear from me, Happy Holidays to all!
Being a caregiver is a tough job! Your mother is lucky to have you there. Hope she is up and about soon!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

NaluGirl wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm As a side note, this week I was wondering if we have muggles from all 50 states (and DC). In looking through what I have, I could confirm muggles in all states except: Alaska, Arizona, Alabama, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Washington state.

I am sure that I have missed muggles from these states but let me know.

As a side note, we have muggles in Ontario and Switzerland. Not sure if there are any other countries that people live in.
Arizona here! (And formerly Hawaii if that counts)
Thanks. With all the retirees spending time in multiple locales, I am only counting where you pay your taxes
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:43 pm
SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 pm I have been making chocolate covered cherries this week and so have two jars of cherry juice left over. Being reluctant to pour it out I am mixing it with ginger ale and vodka. Not a bad little holiday drink and a lovely pinkish/reddish color. Now I just need a name for my drink. I looked on the internet to see if such a drink already had a name and couldn't find it. Sounds like a task for the Muggles. Please help me name my drink.
My hostess at last night's party mixed Champagne and cranberry juice and called it a Poinsettia!
Wendy
How many did you have? That sounds like a drink that can knock you for a loop before you know it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

From a mug-winning muggle in the vast uplands of northern Delaware, unfortunately still ensconced with Isaac until the right rabbit appears.
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Right after posting my Delaware connection another rabbit appeared. It turned out to be the right one so I am now on shore having enjoyed one or two libations with our esteemed bartender.
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

On shore!
KayW

Post by KayW »

That sounds pretty tasty! ...and an awful lot like a Shirley Temple - if Shirley had a drinking problem ;) I'm trying to think of a family-friendly antonym of virgin. Best I can come up with (well anyway it rhymes) is a Whirly Shirley.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:49 pm
That sounds pretty tasty! ...and an awful lot like a Shirley Temple - if Shirley had a drinking problem ;) I'm trying to think of a family-friendly antonym of virgin. Best I can come up with (well anyway it rhymes) is a Whirly Shirley.
I like it! After all rhyming is a big thing with this group.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Answer submitted; not confident but fits the context and have a path to get there. Wouldn't count me ashore.

From Illinois
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

All can think of is Jingle Juice.
Heidi