"Counting Calories" - December 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hmm. I definitely have the answer, but wonder if there is some aspect of the meta I don't yet "get."
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Softie

Post by Softie »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm As a side note, this week I was wondering if we have muggles from all 50 states (and DC). In looking through what I have, I could confirm muggles in all states except: Alaska, Arizona, Alabama, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Washington state.

I am sure that I have missed muggles from these states but let me know.
After lurking for months, I'll join the online ranks. And represent Washington!

Being from a coastal state, I have plenty of shores to spend time on, but I am still trying to find my way to THIS shore...
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

What impresses me every week is the idea for the puzzle. I didn’t find this meta particularly difficult, but I did find it satisfying because it was such a cool idea. The execution might have been fairly easy. Many people with a little construction experience and that website anjhinz posted a couple of weeks ago could have created a grid like this.

How do Matt and Mike keep coming up, week after week, with new ideas for these puzzles?
Jay
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore - interesting mechanism on this one. The answer is one of my favorites.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm As a side note, this week I was wondering if we have muggles from all 50 states (and DC). In looking through what I have, I could confirm muggles in all states except: Alaska, Arizona, Alabama, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Washington state.

As a side note, we have muggles in Ontario and Switzerland. Not sure if there are any other countries that people live in.
I will be the muggle from Minnesota.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

As a side note, we have muggles in Ontario and Switzerland. Not sure if there are any other countries that people live in.
Bob,

I am retired, so live in a lot of places. Not sure if these count, but I am in Sydney, Australia for 3 months. I am also a semi-regular in Hawaii (3 months last year, 2 this, 4 next). However, my tax return says NH if I can only count one place.
---
Currently at sea, grid done. Isaac, I'll have the prosecco with lunch.
Rufus T. Firefly
TMart

Post by TMart »

tim1217 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 pm
His eyes how they sparkled, but I a bit leery,
His metas I knew, often made me weary;
His droll sense of humor, was apparent at first,
And the sly grin on his face made me fear the worst.

The stump of a pencil was held tight by his ear,
And the scribblings, erasures and worksheets were near;
He had broad knowledge and skills that can’t be denied,
That made me nervous and dreadful, to that I will not lie.

He was clever and sneaky - the most dangerous constructor alive,
And I said ‘Oh no what’s this, don’t tell me a KAS5?’;
Though a wink of his eye, and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.
He had a broad face and a little round belly
He laughed and he said "I am not Marie Kelly!"
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

After a brief grinding of the mental gears it all meshed nicely. Ashore and predicting plenty of space on the beach this weekend - due more to folks having other things to do.

Merry Christmas to all! May your holidays and the New Year be healthy, happy and prosperous.

Cheers!!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Got it! Amazed at how Gaffney worked D21 into it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Oh, ashore. I was too lazy to jump in the right rabbit hole the first time I passed by it. Shame on me.

Looking forward to the Chriswords meta suite - thanks Barbara K!

And Happy Holidays to all!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Muggle from Missouri, reporting from the bar on the ship.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

That took me a while, but I'm on shore. Have a great weekend, all!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore. Grid went quickly, meta fairly quickly too. Enjoyable puzzle-thanks Matt!
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

At sea, no shore in sight... :(
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Enjoyed it!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Bob,

I am retired, so live in a lot of places. Not sure if these count, but I am in Sydney, Australia for 3 months. I am also a semi-regular in Hawaii (3 months last year, 2 this, 4 next). However, my tax return says NH if I can only count one place.
---
Currently at sea, grid done. Isaac, I'll have the prosecco with lunch.
I will go where your tax return is
thanks
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

higgysue wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 pm

I will be the muggle from Minnesota.
And a new muggle to boot. We welcome new muggles all the time. My high school friend who lives outside Minneapolis says it is very cold there now
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Some metas just jump right out at you. Not this one! I am, happily, on the shore.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm no longer 20A!

I don't really like these kinds of puzzles. I saw some red herrings which had to be put in there to throw me off. I wasn't making any progress for a while as I took a break at work to look at the grid every once and a while.

I was feeling really tired today. When I got home, I lay down in bed and figured it out very quickly.