"Play With Matches" November 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:45 pm The answer is clever.

It’s not so much that the meta is hard, it’s just hard to not get sucked into rabbit holes on the simple elegant path
👍👍
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

On a related note, Mr. Berry is ALSO responsible for this week's New Yorker Cryptic.

HONESTLY . . where do some people find the time???
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Okay I am 99% sure I finally have the first step. Pant pant
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well, I have picked up this week's WSJ meta about 4 times now to no avail. I do come up with new approaches, but none have panned out. The upside is that while on the site I did finally get to take a look at the recording of the 2-hour session with Matt Gaffney, which was very entertaining. I'm sorry not to catch the apparent elegance of this week's meta by Mr. Berry, and I'm looking forward to the reveal at midnight (well, okay, 8 am tomorrow . . . .). In the meantime, I'll borrow from a future solve and crack a bottle of red.

BTW, is anyone participating in "MOVEMBER" this year (aside from @Al Sisti's year-long participation)? I haven't to date, but still time to repeat this beauty (or beast, per my wife).
Attachments
Movember.jpg
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Man alive, I am on the shore!!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hm. While I'm perfectly fine with one of these barstools on the ship being permanently etched with my butt-print...I'm getting a little antsy for some beach time. To wit:

1. I'm still on the boat, obviously; and
2. Would one of you kind souls throw me a hint, please? (Light hints only/no full spoilers, please...)

(Darned rabbits. Sigh.)
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

And, yes, this really is a mindblowing construction! The comments kept me going.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

KAS 5. Dragged to shore with a swift kick to the behind. Amazing construction I agree.

Major kudos to all you solo solvers.

Stay well
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm with Isaac.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Started late this morning but took me a good 4 hrs to get ashore. I had the first step, the problem was it was not the full first step (and that's where i got caught in the riptide). Once that was fixed the storm ended.
Good PB, but IMHO not the best PB which is still the Cheap Shot from about 7 or 8 yrs ago. How about some Pisco Sour (Peruvian style, with lime juice), Cabana beauty?
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖️ 🍷

Phew!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Update…hello, cabana!!!

…With thanks for a couple of helpful nudges.
;)
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I don't have the least toehold. I hate to miss out on a puzzle that so many are calling brilliant and clever. I'll try to get on last call. But I don't even have a clue where to start! :(
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I have a Hail Mary answer but that’s about it. Been working on lots of ideas and nothing panning out yet.
BisbeeTam

Post by BisbeeTam »

Hail-Mary’d one from Isaac’s bar. Ugh.
“Wherever you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

I left the swamps of Dagobah for the warmth of the beach. It was actually a pretty quick flight as PBs for some reason come easy to me and it' s with MG metas where I usually cross my skis. The answer did not match my initial 60 second guess but it's irrefutable. Negroni fir me please
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Inca

Post by Inca »

CromsFury wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:03 pm On a related note, Mr. Berry is ALSO responsible for this week's New Yorker Cryptic.
Thank you for this link. I love Patrick Berry cryptics. I'm not that good at them, but really enjoy them anyway
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the ship, anxiously awaiting my DOH! moment Monday morning.
Rufus T. Firefly
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Pretty sure I have step 1, but I do not see where to go next. Anyone care to verify that I do have step one (as I saw others say step one was longer than they thought at first)?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Kas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:27 pm Hm. While I'm perfectly fine with one of these barstools on the ship being permanently etched with my butt-print...I'm getting a little antsy for some beach time. To wit:

1. I'm still on the boat, obviously; and
2. Would one of you kind souls throw me a hint, please? (Light hints only/no full spoilers, please...)

(Darned rabbits. Sigh.)
Kas. See post #126.