Tricky Treats

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch, finally! Had a good chuckle when I finally saw it. Thanks for the puzzle!
Matthew
Anita

Post by Anita »

No longer lounging! Fun one!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Thanks, Clark - I had to consult some past correspondence to help me solve, but luckily I print all my emails so it only took 6-8 hours to find what I needed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The black cat is out of the black bag and has gone out trick-or-treating. Perfect Halloween puzzle.
Jay
Richard

Post by Richard »

Off the couch

Nice one.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I see one thing but swung on and missed with a guess. Back to the tricky treats board
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Leaderboard Update

11 more solvers bring our total to 62:

Bob cruise director
CPJohnson
Cindy Heisler
Annabelle
Mr Tex
MatthewL
Anita
MarkWoychick
Bird Lives
Richard
mkmf

Wednesday Nudges are on the way!
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
hoover

Post by hoover »

Clark E. Tripe wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:17 am
HeadinHome wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 am Also, I think I just figured out the alias. You three…
Alias? Oh, you mean like when my Mom gets mad and calls me by my full name - "Clark Eggbert Tripe"?
As a proud descendant of four generations of men named Egbert (the fifth is my cousin), I have to point out that your Mom spelled it wrong.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

hoover wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:22 am
Clark E. Tripe wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:17 am
HeadinHome wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 am Also, I think I just figured out the alias. You three…
Alias? Oh, you mean like when my Mom gets mad and calls me by my full name - "Clark Eggbert Tripe"?
As a proud descendant of four generations of men named Egbert (the fifth is my cousin), I have to point out that your Mom spelled it wrong.
Mom said it had something to do with the shape of my head.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Hey Muggles! This is only my second meta, and the first was a while ago... so I completely forgot about the fact that I'm supposed to post nudges on Wednesday. And after my first attempt -- followed by an embarrassing warning from the forum administrator about my posting a series of nudes --here they are:

I originally wanted to fit Carl Yastrzemski into the grid, but I didn't know how to spell his name. (Not much of a football fan!)

For the first part, you’ll need to implement my favorite digital logic gate.

A little bit of pseudo code:

int i = 1;
do {

Take a queue from the short shaded queues;
Enqueue a common word at the end of queue number i;
It’s a common code; did you catch it? No? Oh well
i=i+1;

}
while (“Off_The_Couch” <> true);

ajk

Post by ajk »

LOL I am a dolt. Had it solved after like 10 minutes except for one comically small nuance. Once the second nudge confirmed that the thing I had dismissed was in fact the path I finally stopped being an idiot. Very nicely done.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

D'oh! OTC.
I saw the pattern... but didn't quite make the connection, even though I'd tried pretty much exactly what the nudges say to do.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

OTC on Halloween, before the nudges (which are hilarious BTW).

skulls-sofa-01.jpg
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up due to a nice nudge from Dr Tom. I had misprinted one of the answers in the grid which totally threw me off. What a great puzzle. Thanks so much Clark and hope to see more of you.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Look forward to a reveal on Sunday that will explain Nudges 2 and 3 :ugeek:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Abide wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm Look forward to a reveal on Sunday that will explain Nudges 2 and 3 :ugeek:
Hmm. I'm looking forward to seeing that "Nudge Reveal" myself...

Leaderboard Update

8 more solvers bring our new total to 70:

BarbaraK
Jaclyn
ajk
Eric Porter
AxelPlays
minimuggle
Naptown Kid
THC

Please let me know if I've missed anyone and/or if you'd like more help.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I haven't solved the meta yet, but it sure is nice to visit Linux Habitation again.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Abide wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:13 pm Look forward to a reveal on Sunday that will explain Nudges 2 and 3 :ugeek:
Guess you haven't spent enough time in Linux Habitation. Didn't look at the nudges til after I'd solved, but they make perfect sense to me.

And I loved the intro! Still giggling about "Goto hell".
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Okay, the buzz at the comic book store is that my nudges might not have been much of a help, so here … MAAAAA!! I told you I needed the Commodore 64 for 10 more minutes! Geez! …where was I? Oh yeah, here are a couple more:

Think of this meta as being two distinct parts… like a KitKat…

For the first part, did you notice something in common with the four long shaded down entries (and my first nudge), but don’t know what to do about it? Refer back to my second nudge from yesterday. For those of you who aren’t computer geeks – we call them “People who live in their own places” – Google ”Digital logic gates."

Now for the second part: the short shaded down entries are also needed, but they’re not ready yet… refer back to my third nudge. For those of you who aren’t computer geeks – we call them "swipe right worthy" -– “enqueue” means “add to the end.”

Okay, gotta run... MySpace doesn't update itself, you know!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I, myself, was a Commodore VIC-20 kind of guy.