MEOW #152 Let My People Go

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

michaelm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:01 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:25 am OK, probably be busy getting ready for people begging for candy tomorrow (and for the Trick or Treaters as well :D) so I'll post it now:

Band On The Run Graphic Reveal.jpg

The idea with LET MY PEOPLE GO was that there were 6 theme answers which, by their very Biblical nature should have stood out. Now what to do with them? There were two “hints”, one a visual and the other in the clue/answers. The visual one was the graphic itself that showed the sea parted and two large waves, one on the right the other the left. It was subtle to be sure, but not as much if you take it with 73A which sits in a spot commonly reserved for “nudge answers” and says “The other half of start”. There are any number of better ways to clue END so why that way? Well because it gives you START and END, and if you take the start and end of the 6 theme answers you get “BAND ON THE RUN” which I contend is a well-known song by a very well-known group, and aptly describes the Israelites exit from Egypt.

As stated, I was originally going to call this GENESIS and EXODUS, but a tester quickly pointed out that, while that made sense for the mechanism, it was not Biblically correct since Genesis may be the 1st book, but Exodus definitely is not the last. I could also have done Alpha and Omega, but I already had that title a while back for a much different puzzle.

So, I thank the 40 or so of you who answered my Birthday wish and solved the puzzle. I’m afraid this coming week’s will be a good deal more difficult, and I apologize in advance but I do not have a better time to release it, so check in on Wednesday to see what kind of mischief I have planned for you.

T
IF Exodus was the last of the first five books, puzzle could have been Torah! Torah! Torah?
Maybe not.
Thanks again, DrTom.
Well that would have completed the story ark for sure!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think I was too caught up in RES + END = RESEND, and the ELDER / RELED anagram pair. I saw the 6 Biblical entries, and I caught the Red Sea reference, but didn't know what was supposed to be parted. RES and END were parted, so...