MGWCC #803 — “Keep Your Puzzle Buzz”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:42 pm
Was anybody else distracted by other wordy clues? Such as...

I wonder if these were camouflage for the relevant eight entries.
I always try to pay attention clunky clues - the ones where you wonder "Why did he clue it that way?" Often they are part of the meta. But here there were so many:

REEL as a "lakeside contraption,"
HIS as greetings rather than the possessive
"hop, skip, and jump" in the clue for FAR
"Like ladybugs" for RED.
and probably others

In company like this, "Controversial work, sometimes" for NOVEL blends in as just another off-center clue.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

BAY in Biscayne is too short and obvious for me to see so I never did.

Instead the sUper bowl SHow whatEveR was clearly there although horribly ugly. ... and that led me on the wrong path for NINE hours!

Once I fixed that I got it readily.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I really should have waited until 4:20 to submit. Thanks to the Zoom crew for the help on this one.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I was sure USHER hidden in its clue had to be important, but Google didn't seem to say he was particularly known for cannabis use. Was anyone else thrown off by "oPOsiTe of paleo-"? I figured if two clues had POT in the first word, surely it couldn't be the correct path.
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:39 pm I really should have waited until 4:20 to submit. Thanks to the Zoom crew for the help on this one.
There's a Zoom Crew? :o
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

When I was in England I experimented with the MGWCC a time or two, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t inhale it, and never tried it again.
boharr

Post by boharr »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 pm I was sure USHER hidden in its clue had to be important, but Google didn't seem to say he was particularly known for cannabis use. Was anyone else thrown off by "oPOsiTe of paleo-"? I figured if two clues had POT in the first word, surely it couldn't be the correct path.
I only looked in clues for five-letter grid entries.
dlonoff

Post by dlonoff »

I was one of the TAIGA submitters that Matt graciously accepted. I just had a vague inkling about it and then Google confirmed it was a strain of pot, and I didn't give it a second thought before submitting.

I think the last step would've been more elegant had there been a 5 letter entry that was contained in CANNABIS, though that's probably asking a lot. That's what I kept looking for. At that point in the solve I wasn't looking at the clues, and only noticed the double definition of ENNUI after I was marked wrong initially. Never saw the POT connection.

Still liked it overall!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:52 am When I was in England I experimented with the MGWCC a time or two, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t inhale it, and never tried it again.
I suppose it depends on what the meaning of "was" was?
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

So what was was, essentially? It's as obvious as the nose on your face.

It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘was’ was. If the—if he—if ‘was’ means was and never has been, that was not—that was one thing. If was means there was none, that was a completely true statement.

Or was it?
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

I got to the answer fairly quickly but via the wrong last step, which I still stubbornly prefer over the actual path. :)

This was mentioned in a comment on crosswordfiend, too, but it never occurred to me that the 8 theme entries' answers were fully contained in the first word of the clue. I got to CANNABIS then found all but one N of CANNABIS in the clue for 9D, taking the clue as a whole:

"produCtivity mAy be NegAtively affected By thIS"

I assumed (read: "hoped") that there was a minor error in the wording of that clue which could have been resolved by changing "may" to "can" (or adding "often", as was suggested on crosswordfiend) and submitted with a fair degree of confidence. Looking for a synonym of CANNABIS isn't something I'd considered and I'm not sure I would have even thought to try that if CANNABIS itself wasn't practically sitting right there.