MGWCC #803 — “Keep Your Puzzle Buzz”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #803 — “Keep Your Puzzle Buzz”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #803 — Friday, October 20th, 2023 — “Keep Your Puzzle Buzz”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is one of this grid’s five-letter entries.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

–Matt

Question and Answer session with Matt Gaffney on Saturday, October 28, 7:30 PM ET.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page
A subscription costs $3/month.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beamed at #2! Damn you Jangler! 😂
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
KayW

Post by KayW »

I feel for you @Dannyvee ... so close!
Submitted :fingers_crossed: - the beauty of not having a streak to protect.

EDIT: LOL and a whiff. Now I REALLY don't have a streak to protect.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm... kinda tough grid with an above average amount of googling. But done. Now... straightforward what to do but I suspect it is something funny and clever. I have one answer that really seems to be the only possible thing but it sure is not clever nor funny so I'm pretty positive what it is not. But don't see how anything else can be it. But then ... I'm not feeling funny or clever.

EDIT: Oh, wait. It IS a meta after all. A hard meta and I haven't solved it but ... oh, my. I missed the entire point until now.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Was going to submit a pre-solve guess to try for that 1-Across achievement since I was actually home at noon today, but saw the prompt and realized this clearly wasn't the week for that.

Beamed! Phew!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

On the board!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Pretty good Muggle representation on the leaderboard! That was a fun puzzle.

Felix licks his chops after ridding my house of yet another mouse. Extra rations for this good hunter!
Attachments
felixmouse.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I've been deeply ruminating on what has to be the answer for the past 20 minutes, but I have some confirmation as well, so that's got to be it.

And beamed at the dozen position! Now time to enjoy the fall!

Last edited by MikeyG on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Right behind you!
sactonortherncal

Post by sactonortherncal »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:06 pm I've been deeply ruminating on what has to be the answer for the past 20 minutes, but I have some confirmation as well, so that's got to be it.
Same boat. First time I’ve ever felt like an answer made complete sense but still didn’t feel 100% about it.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Just missed a board update but pretty sure I’m buzzed in. (Quick refresh! Yes indeed I’m on the board.)

This was fun, and I have another answer that could have worked well in a completely different way, if only it were in the grid!
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Meh... I'm not going to go to discord and I'm not going to ask for nudges but if someone is in a similar "ooh, I think I almost see what I'm supposed to do" wants to bounce ideas I'm open to PM. And oh, heck... I'm open to throwing ideas off someone who has already solved I guess.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up! #28. I wasn't 100% sure, but after some consideration decided it was close enough.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Post (submission) enlightenment strikes :oops: Dunno why I was in such a hurry to submit an inferior answer :confounded:

Think I'll go make me a grilled cheese sandwich. Hold the ham.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up!
Heidi
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

After looking at this for a while, I've got nothing so far. But I'm not giving up!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

KayW wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:27 pm Post (submission) enlightenment strikes :oops: Dunno why I was in such a hurry to submit an inferior answer :confounded:

Think I'll go make me a grilled cheese sandwich. Hold the ham.
I said the same thing about my first marriage. Unfortunately, enlightenment didn't strike for about 12 years.

Almost 23 years into the far wiser choice.....

I'm allergic to cheese, pass the toast.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Not seeing it yet. I'll try again tomorrow.