"Out Of Bounds" - December 13, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Toby

Post by Toby »

NFL not my thing, and I was chasing the wrong rabbit at the last step.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On shore. Though I had to google. Does it make me un-American that I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the NFL?
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Yeah! I’m back to solving after a few bad weeks. On shore for sure!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

On shore. Definitely a new mechanism, for me anyway. Enjoyed it.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore. Needed Google to complete the grid and the very impressive meta.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Ashore! Took me longer than it should have. I was missing a necessary detail.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore. Wonder Twin powers...
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Huh. I guess I finally have it.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Saw the gimmick immediately, and after way too much Googling I knew who it had to be, but couldn't find any justification whatsoever. Took a break to wash dishes, and an idea came to me. One more quick Google -- and I'm on shore! The crowd roars!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On dry land. I had most of it pretty quickly, but the last piece wasn’t what I expected it to be.
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Done and done. Pretty clever, at least I thought it was, and I'm not good with the clever ones, because I'm not, you know, clever.

Hitting Wisconsin tomorrow, I'll have to celebrate by picking up some New Glarus Spotted Cow.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Here's a look into my mind:

Oh, no! An NFL player? Definitely not in my wheel house. I know nothing about sports. And, I know less than nothing about football.
Oh well, I'll fill the grid at least.
Aha, I can always rely on Mike Shenk to be a little fair to me even if he does a football meta. Yes! I see what must be the path and I clearly think I've got about 83% of this one.
Wow, even *I* should be able to figure out the rest at this point (even if I do consult google a bit, which I don't enjoy doing). BUT, I just can't make it all the way.
I'm getting really frustrated. This may not be in my wheelhouse, but I feel it's close to me, very near to me.
OK, for now I'll leave it even if I think a bit more work might get me there....maybe later on in the weekend.

For all the football fans....enjoy your happy meta
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Back on the beach. No twins wonder-ing or wandering about. Now, to a fun-filled and chaotic weekend. Cheers!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore after an embarrassingly long time. The sad part was that I didn’t need to Google anything. I guess I am just a little slow today.
Inca

Post by Inca »

As I was doing the dishes, it hit me. I knew I had it. A quick Google and I was done.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach.

To those who are not football fans: Don’t give up! You and Mr. G can do it.
Jack Sullivan
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. Have been almost there since about 430....last bit proved a little more of a challenge! I enjoyed this one-not super had but a challenge. Very clever.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore early this week. Last week I missed my first one in quite a while and kicking myself after seeing the solution.
CruciLexiPhobia

Post by CruciLexiPhobia »

Okay, I'm going to post a naked plea for some help. This is my second Meta, last week's killer being my first (which I didn't solve). I've solved the grid and I think I know what the Theme answers are but maybe not. I'm not sure how many theme answers I should have/be using. And I know that the name of the puzzle "Out of Bounds" may in some way be a hint to the mechanism that will allow me to use the theme answers to derive the ultimate answer. And I also see that 21A provides additional info about the player to be named.

I have one wacky mechanism that does yield a correct answer (correct in the sense that it satisfies the clues about the player's number being retired and with respect to 21A) but no way to confirm if it is the correct mechanism. If nothing else comes to mind I might use that one.

So if somebody who is confident they have the answer is feeling charitable, could you drop me a PM and I can bounce my mechanism and answer off of you? If I'm wrong, then I can go back to work.

edited to add: I received some replies so thank you and no more help needed.
Last edited by CruciLexiPhobia on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 pm On shore. In my wheelhouse
Offshore. Not in my wheelhouse.
Congrats Bob.
I’ll be hanging out with Inca and Isaac til further notice.