"Significant Digits" Oct. 13, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm completely at sea here, but my brother claims to have figured it out, so I've asked him for a nudge. Otherwise, I will be asking for help at Last Call.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Gave in and finally requested a small nudge. Then made a bunch of attempts, and now finally ashore.

Now to stop procrastinating and do some house cleaning. Or.... the Eagles will be on soon... Hmmm.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

No nudges. No shore. Mocktails with Isaac.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

At sea on this Sunday afternoon.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Drinking at the literal shore while puzzling over the spreadsheet version (no printer at our rental house) proved fruitless. Soberly poring over a printed version at home doesn't appear to be getting me anywhere either. Looks like Week 3 of my streak of frustration.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Last Call with Isaac Zoom session tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern. Come one, come all!
Heidi
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

With Isaac and no time to even check the boarding times for the launch.

Good luck all.
Rufus T. Firefly
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore! Tried my technique in several ways and finally found the correct procedure.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm still pondering which "digits" are significant and which "numbers" are significant ... might join the call this evening
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Literally dragged to shore by a very, very patient muggle. Will not be submitting but happy to be done!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sunday Evening Report

Let's just say it was a VERY prosperous weekend for Isaac and his staff. Reporting in from the ship are BigPear, Colin, Alloybodied, JustMareBear, Yoda66, Martimre Yard, Relic, C=64, Joey Avocado, CollegeTownGirl, Harbo, LadyBird, Commodore, CopperRiver, JRS51, Bonnibel, ZooAnimalsonWheels, Mattythewsjpuzzler, WSJosh, Scott M, and Tom Shea.

Making their way to shore: Bird Lives, NDStegs, lxpeterson, Woozy, Phantom Phan, Hunter X, Gman, Cruise Director Bob, Maine Marge, Sleepy, RJY, Darth, Beth Tyrpin, Kay W, Team Double Tow, Drabble, Kas, Berto, Les Y, Wes Covington, Single Malt, Davy Gravy, Joe Ross, and Kris Zacharias.

New to the Forum is Alloybodied, whose first post appeared this weekend. And new to the Earth is Davy Gravy's granddaughter. What wonderful news! Photos, please, Davy!

After his leaf-peeping adventure in New England, Bob will be returning to his customary Cruise Director duties this coming Thursday.
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Pretty sure I have step one. Need a nudge I think.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore! Finally!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the late zoom >> BEACH
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
moron

Post by moron »

Ashore thanks to the last call zoom. After the rabbit holes I tripped into, I'm going to need some alcohol that is "High-proof" (60a).
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

I was all around the solution- needed the zoom to get ashore. Thanks!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Towed to shore by shalmanezer. Thanks again. Was on the right track with step one but not submitting.

Good luck on this one!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh my gosh.... I finally realized (by an inadvertent post that has a spoiler) *how* one was supposed to do this. It's the *only* way really but still....

In hindsight it's amazing that this was so hard.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Finally on shore. Getting out a clean sheet of paper and writing out what was known was a big help.
BisbeeTam

Post by BisbeeTam »

Well, after a great streak, this has been three weeks now of endless rabbit holes. I’ve cleaned out poor Isaac. I’m expecting another giant face palm I’ll be giving myself when I see the answer. Each time I’ve been so close…yet so far.
“Wherever you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai