Loop-the-Loop by Patrick Berry 9/30/23 WSJ

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Nino

Loop-the-Loop by Patrick Berry 9/30/23 WSJ

Post by Nino »

I’m done, except for the last 3 letters of the first word in Row 11.

Has this been the last to fall for others?

Have others solved that word?
KayW

Post by KayW »

Always enjoy a Patrick Berry! At least I've been able to solve ONE puzzle this weekend.
I solved, and yes that row and the 10-character loop at the end of that row were the last to fall for me.
cheater
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Nino wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:34 pm I’m done, except for the last 3 letters of the first word in Row 11.

Has this been the last to fall for others?

Have others solved that word?
Yes & yes. Last to fall and solved

I don’t know how to link a hidden “spoiler”
Barney

Post by Barney »

KayW wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:55 pm Always enjoy a Patrick Berry! At least I've been able to solve ONE puzzle this weekend.
I solved, and yes that row and the 10-character loop at the end of that row were the last to fall for me.
cheater
He was asking for last three of the first word.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Barney wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:38 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:55 pm Always enjoy a Patrick Berry! At least I've been able to solve ONE puzzle this weekend.
cheater
He was asking for last three of the first word.
Oops! How about this one:
fishy

And instructions to create a spoiler tag
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

That's funny, because those last three letters were the last to fall for me as well, but they did and it was done and satisfying. Not too hard overall; I had quite a few loops figured out before starting on the rows, which made it a little easier.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Good level of challenge this week, so an enjoyable solve.

For me, row 11 was an early solve. A few wrong early guesses set me back for a while - always a challenge to recognize when you're wrong and that you need to erase and recalibrate. The last to solve was the 10-letter loop starting on the left edge of row 4.
Nino

Post by Nino »

Thanks, Kay and Barney.

The overlapping Loop had sent me in the wrong direction.

I was thinking of the watch as a time-keeper, treating the clue as the same as “What watching a clock might induce”, while Patrick was referring to an old-time pocket watch, on the end of a string, being used simply as a pendulum.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Enjoyed this one! Felix liked the NW corner.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got to this one late. Fun!