MGWCC #799 — “And the Last Shall Be First”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Week 4 solo solve, but BOY was I on the wrong track initially.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed at #71. How did Matt do that??!! :shock: :shock: On another note, I had to get the puzzle from the Patreon website. It was never delivered to my email.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Haven't really had a chance to work on it but... did he actually include a grid key?... by mistake?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up at 101. Solo solve, but holy proper names, Batman - that grid was tough.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [tough grid, fun meta]

... and I'm beamed at #113. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:08 pm Beamed at #71. How did Matt do that??!! :shock: :shock: On another note, I had to get the puzzle from the Patreon website. It was never delivered to my email.
Strange things happened with my email accounts today. Mail showed up on IPhone but not on iPad. Gmail account may not be working at all. Matt’s email received at 11:34 am MST instead of 9:00 am.
Jack Sullivan
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

helped onto the transporter pad and in transit to the mothership.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Solved but awaiting updated board. Assuming one “thing” is acceptable I feel sure it’s correct.
(Update: beamed)

We are in the very center of the tropical storm cone (Beaufort NC) … crazy winds and horizontal rain today, but not much damage here. Ready for some good beach days! Have to go home Tuesday.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Solved
Awaiting confirmation in the morning - Confirmed on the board

Struggled for several hours
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Trish

Post by Trish »

Submitted but awaiting beam. Feeling sure but guess always a chance my track is in my mind!,😁
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Imageed.

Tried to tough out the grid but relented on 3 squares-worth/6 clues-worth of interwebbing.

Matt created quite a complex grid!

Noticed the mechanism as I solved mousing freehand lettering on the digital PDF.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:54 pm Imageed.

Tried to tough out the grid but relented on 3 squares-worth/6 clues-worth of interwebbing.

Matt created quite a complex grid!

Noticed the mechanism as I solved mousing freehand lettering on the digital PDF.
I have no idea what you’re talking about. “Mousing freehand”?

Heidi
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:15 am I have no idea what you’re talking about. “Mousing freehand”?

Heidi
I'm sure you are not alone in not comprehending my babble, Heidi!

1000003409.png

In marking up the PDF, I scrawled the blue lettering using a 🖱️ mouse (versus using a stylus on screen).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:48 am
hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:15 am I have no idea what you’re talking about. “Mousing freehand”?

Heidi
I'm sure you are not alone in not comprehending my babble, Heidi!

1000003409.png

In marking up the PDF, I scrawled the blue lettering using a 🖱️ mouse (versus using a stylus on screen).
Don't you believe him for a second...Mousing Freehand was the hero of the mystery novel "The Curious Case of the Scrawled Letters"
Mousing freehand.png
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles. I stared and stared and stared, certain I would NEVER solve this week 4, particularly after how badly the grid fill beat me up. Then this AM after my walk I looked again (perhaps with the inquiring eye of my hero Mousing Freehand?) and there it was. It wasn't EXACTLY there but I saw a foothold which eventually led to me climbing the mountain. Not verified but VERY sure. Too early for a drink, but maybe coffee and cold pizza?

EDIT: In the transporter room at #154
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

After hours of staring yesterday,this morning I finally had an AHA moment. Solved, but awaiting the update to be beamed up.
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

For me, the grid played like a week 5, and the meta more like a 3. So I guess that averages out to week 4 of 5 :)

My pre-google grid had two blank squares and several guesses to confirm. But I saw what was going on generally meta-wise while filling and the second thing I tried got me the secret beam up code.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up with lots of nudges. Very clever puzzle and loved the answer. happy weekend all. I am on my way to California for a get together with old tennis team mates from UC Davis. Can't wait. Dallas airport isn't bad for solving puzzles.
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

Whoa…to quote last week- “Nice!”

I know there was discussion in past weeks on this board about group and solo solving, and when it is apropos to ask for/bestow hints. To each his own, but it is so rewarding to sweat out a solo solve. I am in an email group of four who have similar solving stats, so it’s never a real-time groupthink. Our rule is that no one asks or gives hints until Sunday. FWIW.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got a subtle hint and saw the light almost immediately.

Waiting on next update.