"In A Comprehensive Manner" September 22, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:14 am It's Sunday morning here in the Cotswolds and I am up early sitting in the great hall of an old abbey:

abbots-great-hall-daytime.jpg

https://www.abbotsgrange.com/

Breakfast is not until 9 am so I have time to read and reflect before other guests rise. It is a beautiful part of the world!
Beautiful. Certainly appears to befit your stature! Enjoy it.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Only grid so far,
Lonely - with Isaac in bar!
Gonna be late one.
One world. One planet. One future.
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Got it thanks to the Zoom call.
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

I was going to join the zoom call but then saw 16 pages of solvers and thought I'm way over thinking this. Took off my thinking cap and a few minutes later got it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 3 on the ship and 258 on the shore. Good luck winning the mug and we will see you next week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

(Ooops -- Sneaking in.)
Ashore.
Untitledcalendarken.png
(Word has it that it was a success.)
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore- fun and nicely wrapped
ReB

Post by ReB »

Looks like I forgot to post my Thursday beach arrival. I suspect I found the less common route ashore, which made for an enjoyable and uneventful passage.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:59 pm After a late start, I am hauling ice for our friend Isaac once again on the cruiser.

Noticing some things, but not able to put it all together quite yet.

Eh, hauling ice for Isaac isn't so bad on this dreamboat. 8-)
Took another look this afternoon and was able to connect the dots - yay!

Man, this has been a tough meta year. :?
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
Colin

Post by Colin »

One last drink, Isaac?
Spent too much time,
On shove ha’penny and wine,
To see the common track.
One world. One planet. One future.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

My first guess was Amazon because it’s logo has an arrow going from A to Z, it’s comprehensive, and it seemed like more of a “brand.”
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

FrancesY wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:22 am My first guess was Amazon because it’s logo has an arrow going from A to Z, it’s comprehensive, and it seemed like more of a “brand.”
In my haste, that was my submission. I’ll bet I’m not alone in that thinking.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I didn't use 74A's clue; instead I used the entries 1A and 74A and DID (a thing) TO EIGHT (things).
woozy

Post by woozy »

I thought maybe 74 was meant to be misleading as the clue is for a phrase (maybe a slogan for the brand) but not the brand itself so I figured that there was utterly no reason whatsoever to assume the brand had eight letters.

But 74A did clue me into what the heck I was supposed to do with all the obvious Z's floating about (I hadn't noticed the A's-- just the Z's). That "From A to Z" meant comprehensive was a lead cincher for me so I was certain that metanism was to take the letters between the As and the Zs (although that there were eight such letters was very disconcerting to me) and that spelled.... Webster's and that a dictionary would go from A-to-Z made me feel that this a 98.25%er. The 1.75% was only off because I'd never in a million years use the cloying neologism "classic brand" to describe a dictionary.

I liked this one. I like how all the splinters fit together but only make sense as a complete whole.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Relic

Post by Relic »

woozy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:56 am I thought maybe 74 was meant to be misleading as the clue is for a phrase (maybe a slogan for the brand) but not the brand itself so I figured that there was utterly no reason whatsoever to assume the brand had eight letters.

But 74A did clue me into what the heck I was supposed to do with all the obvious Z's floating about (I hadn't noticed the A's-- just the Z's). That "From A to Z" meant comprehensive was a lead cincher for me so I was certain that metanism was to take the letters between the As and the Zs (although that there were eight such letters was very disconcerting to me) and that spelled.... Webster's and that a dictionary would go from A-to-Z made me feel that this a 98.25%er. The 1.75% was only off because I'd never in a million years use the cloying neologism "classic brand" to describe a dictionary.

I liked this one. I like how all the splinters fit together but only make sense as a complete whole.
" I like how all the splinters fit together but only make sense as a complete whole."

So well put! Exactly how I felt, but coudn't find the words.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Very unlikely I'd have found this one even putting more time into it. "From A to Z" was nowhere in my head.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
pjc

Post by pjc »

First clue to me were all the Zs. Second was the number of words I'd never seen in a crossword before. Then 'A to Z' came up because of the title. I didn't get the 74-across connection until the solve was complete.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

When I first saw all the Z’s and thought what brand uses Z’s in its slogan?? NyQuil because it “ helps you get your Z’s”! Luckily, I then went to think on 74a and came up with “from A to Z”! That put me on the right path. The hyphen in “comprehen-sive” puzzled me at first but ( after the solve) then I realized it was another hint because A-Z was a common way to express “A to Z”.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I just assUme-d the hyphens were due to a glitch in the puzzle generation, because there is a line-break at that point in both clues in the PDF version. But I like those interpretations.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.