MGWCC #798 — “That’s Touching”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up. Almost got tripped up.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I submitted the right answer but somehow reversed my user name and the answer. Matt graciously pointed this out to me and is having the webmaster give me credit for the solve. Thank you, Matt!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Should be on the board soon. 10pm in France, so off to bed. Visiting Monaco tomorrow. Bet it all on black?

Edit #70.
Last edited by ky-mike on Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:44 pm I submitted the right answer but somehow reversed my user name and the answer. Matt graciously pointed this out to me and is having the webmaster give me credit for the solve. Thank you, Matt!
Think that happens fairly often. When Matt doesn't catch it right away, the answer shows up on the leaderboard until someone points it out and he can fix it. Haven't seen that lately, so either he's getting more observant or I'm getting less:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:05 pm Should be on the board soon. 10pm in France, so off to bed. Visiting Monaco tomorrow. Bet it all on black?
bet on 00 to win, better payoff

thanks to Eckless, beaming up.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Good one!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... and I'm beamed at #90. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
markhr

Post by markhr »

On the board, though I submitted with some trepidation.
Can't say more about that until Tuesday. Guinness, please.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Laura M wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:03 pm Swung and missed, sigh. Should have waited to see if I could get to 100% certainty, but I didn't want to be second-guessing myself all weekend...
It looks like Matt accepted your answer. You're on the board now.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed at #80!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:35 pm
Laura M wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:03 pm Swung and missed, sigh. Should have waited to see if I could get to 100% certainty, but I didn't want to be second-guessing myself all weekend...
It looks like Matt accepted your answer. You're on the board now.
Wow, I guess my answer was popular enough, or made enough sense, to be accepted as an alternate? I definitely wasn't on the board before, I checked very carefully :-) Thanks very much for letting me know! I look forward to finding out the actual intended answer.

Edit: Not asking for anyone to send me the intended answer, thanks though! I'm pretty sure I've figured it out now. I felt like there were two, I guess inelegances? with the answer I sent in, and the real answer only has one minor (different) one, so it's definitely better. Still not my favorite puzzle, but I'm grateful for the leeway from Matt!
Last edited by Laura M on Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Awaiting beam, after a key comment made me realize I was doing the right thing the wrong way. Fun stuff indeed.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Awaiting the beam with trepidation... I see two possible solutions but decided I'd take the gamble and risk my streak for the solo solve. Fingers crossed!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:32 pm
ky-mike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:05 pm Should be on the board soon. 10pm in France, so off to bed. Visiting Monaco tomorrow. Bet it all on black?
bet on 00 to win, better payoff
Yes, but much worse odds
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on the board at #88. I like this kind of meta, where there's a fairly clear Step 1 to give you some idea how to get started (though that didn't help me with this month's MMMM). The really frustrating ones are where I can't see anything at all and so have no idea where to start.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:44 pm I submitted the right answer but somehow reversed my user name and the answer. Matt graciously pointed this out to me and is having the webmaster give me credit for the solve. Thank you, Matt!
I once left out a space in my user name, which messed me up big time, but Matt and his webmaster were kind enough to make the correction.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I think I have it with what was a gentlest of nudges but got into a teeny bite.

On of these days I'm going to make a meta where the prompt is "What you might say after solving this meta" and the answer would be "Oh, bull####".

... but that is certainly not this meta.

EDIT: And there I am at #148 with my streak of .... one.
Last edited by woozy on Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I once misspelled my username as HunterX, and accidentally messed up a 25 week streak.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: submitted, and think I can justify if it's not the intended answer :crossed_fingers:

EDIT: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board. Too much grinding, Googling, and confirmation-seeking for me to join the FUN! group but I am still impressed with the genius of the idea and the construction.
Also saw the alternative answer and I nearly chose it - I look forward to the 'splaining.
Last edited by DCBilly on Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.