MGWCC #795 — “These Actions Are Highly Irregular”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Submitted after Hint #2, waiting for beam-up.

Hard but fair puzzle, very enjoyable. I hope the hints will be something offered for future Week 4/5 puzzles.

Happy puzzling!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Went ahead and peeked at the hints. #1 was not useful, but #2 was. Shouldn't have needed it, but apparently I did:)

Beam up requested.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamup hopefully pending! I managed to resist looking at the hints.

Edit: Ooh, just made it into the top 200 at #199 :-) I wonder if having these hints will change the Week 1/2/3/4/(5) distributions of correct answers?
Last edited by Laura M on Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

Awaiting the beam
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beam me up. The second hint helped me focus on the right thing. Fun!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Think I got it, couldn't think it's anything else from what I have. Thanks to the Sunday night crew for the acknowledgement I was on the right path.

Edit: on the board.
Last edited by sharkicicles on Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Similar to others, was on a solid trail for which Hint 1 was already known, but due to a deep rabbit hole facilitated by a couldn’t-have-been-unintentional red herring, I had to reach for Hint 2 which reoriented my brain to an earlier path. Clever concept, will be interested in the follow-up…
Ray
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Still not there yet. Hoping the third hint will pull me out of this rabbit hole loop I am in.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Monday, noon ET, release: MGWCC #795 -- Hint #3 Check your email or the MGWCC Patreon site.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed up last night. Mad that I didn't immediately see step 2 on my own without a nudge.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:54 pm Using the shortcut gave me a reasonable answer that I was 80% sure of. It felt like a week 2 1/2 and I confirmed with someone before submitting. (So not a solo solve.)

The real path took more observation and work but gave a 100% answer. And I would say a week 4 rating was just about right.
So curious to hear what the shortcut was!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Finally think I am beamed thanks to hints, discord and ship4U.... this one has left me once again in awe of those who saw this so quickly. Thanks to all for help....
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally submitted an answer and waiting for the beam up.

I almost never think of an answer from the title and prompt of a puzzle. I did this time but I'm glad I didn't submit it!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

mgwcc795_reveal.png
MGWCC795)reveal_words.png
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Irregular795mgwcc.png
IrregTable795mgwcc.png
-Tamara
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Leslie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:54 pm Using the shortcut gave me a reasonable answer that I was 80% sure of. It felt like a week 2 1/2 and I confirmed with someone before submitting. (So not a solo solve.)

The real path took more observation and work but gave a 100% answer. And I would say a week 4 rating was just about right.
When I noticed that A, I or U worked interchangeably in the six themers I found a list of six-letter words with those three letters in any position. QUAINT was the only one that made sense and the three letters were together.

It had to be the answer.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:05 pm
Leslie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm

When I noticed that A, I or U worked interchangeably in the six themers I found a list of six-letter words with those three letters in any position. QUAINT was the only one that made sense and the three letters were together.

It had to be the answer.
Until I read this I didn’t even realize UAI was also in QUAINT.

I did look at the hints but they didn’t tell me anything I hadn’t figured out. Still counted it was a group solve after asking “is 15A clue relevant?” On the zoom and after getting ayes, it was off to the races.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

At first I went looking for other verb forms that were hidden in the clues when I saw SING in "Passing..." (46D) and SANG in "... Charlie's Angels" (15A). But when that came up empty I just wrote out IAU under the present tense verbs.

Then I got excited for just a second because IAU is the International Astronomical union, and I thought we might be dealing with star and exoplanet names. And then I quickly realized Matt would not do that!

I think "I authorize..." was the first one I saw just because the clue was long and weird and the IAU was in that order.