MGWCC #791 — “Table Games”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Having seen the solution, never happier to have given up early. Congrats to all the successful solvers.
Jim
woozy

Post by woozy »

Did any one fall into the "ARGONNE? Could that be a word? Let's google... Ah, the first entry is for Argonne National Labs and it says
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists and engineers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment.
"Alrighty then! Arne => Argon + ne => Argonne National Labs which would be an alternative answer for EPA and the missing letter is E! That's a iron-lock-cinch" trap?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

woozy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:31 pm Did any one fall into the "ARGONNE? Could that be a word? Let's google... Ah, the first entry is for Argonne National Labs and it says
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists and engineers work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment.
"Alrighty then! Arne => Argon + ne => Argonne National Labs which would be an alternative answer for EPA and the missing letter is E! That's a iron-lock-cinch" trap?
I live about 25 miles from Argonne labs, and there is a fabulous 9-mile loop trail on the property that I've hiked many times. That's the ONLY Argonne that came to mind for me. Until I finally googled it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:34 pm

I live about 25 miles from Argonne labs, and there is a fabulous 9-mile loop trail on the property that I've hiked many times. That's the ONLY Argonne that came to mind for me. Until I finally googled it.
How did you get the french Argonne by googling? The entire first page of my google (which was just the word "Argonne") was the Labs. And why'd you google in the first place if you knew of the labs (as I hadn't)?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:53 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:34 pm

How did you get the french Argonne by googling? The entire first page of my google (which was just the word "Argonne") was the Labs. And why'd you google in the first place if you knew of the labs (as I hadn't)?
Because all I "knew" about Argnonne labs before now was its ATLAS accelerator - so "smog reducing org" didn't trip any bells for me. And I happened to have Wikipedia open when I looked, so this is what I pulled up. Another time when it was better to be lucky than smart.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20ish years ago I was fortunate to see the real-life Argonne with my wife & another couple. Our trip started in Paris, led to the Alps, north toward Belgium, west to Rheims, then back to Paris via rental car. @MattGaffney was correct about the natural beauty of the Argonne region.

GPS (Magellan?) was relatively new at reasonable pricing. However, it led us through several family wineries and iffy "roads" as it didn't distinguish between two tire ruts & paved highways.

This photo, borrowed from Wikipedia, could have been the start of our journey into the Argonne Forest. GPS led us deeper into woods and at steeper pitches to where we had our headlights on high beam, wondering if our mid-size rental would become stuck between trees. Driving, I finally called an audible & backed uphill a good eighth of a mile before being able to turn around to find the last decent crossroad, which worked out.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Joe, I initially read your last line as turning around to find the last decent crossword. :lol:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Claudia, I was more of a Cryptoquip & Jumble! guy back then. Not quite as nerdy, but nerdy enough.
MMe

Post by MMe »

oggy

Post by oggy »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:53 pmHow did you get the french Argonne by googling?
I think I got there by guessing that it might satisfy that clue (it sounds French), and then googling "argonne france."

I was definitely backsolving like that for Coppertone. Agreed with the "cheaty" descriptor, lol.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'm slightly annoyed with my Argonne labs rabbit hole as that was the only thing keeping me from a solo solve.