"Leftovers" - November 29, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore. This one took some work, but is classic Mike...
elan

Post by elan »

on shore yesterday afternoon. Alas, I had to solve it on my phone & didn't have a way to check in here... but now I'm back home. I'm a bit tired of leftovers but looking forward to other past times this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving all!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore after a lot of swimming and staring blindly into the sunset. Chalk this one up to perseverance and a lot of trial and error. Very nice puzzle.
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

Ashore, hoping to be thankful for a mug on Monday!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ashore and quite proud of how my CC skills are improving because a year ago I would have NEVER gotten this puzzle. It truth it was the highlight of the Thanksgiving week-end.

I tried something new this year, brining a turkey. Everyone raves about it, extolling the juiciness of the finished product. What they do not mention is that there is enough salt in the meat to make you emulate Lot's wife, that the skin will not crisp and that the pan drippings are unsuitable for gravy since they resemble leavings on the beach at the Great Salt Lake. So, hours of searching for the various ingredients, making the brine, trying desperately to keep this turkey submerged in a large pot, then more hours of cooking and waiting for this supposedly delicious beast to emerge were rewarded with a resounding EEW after the first bite! Top that off with an oven malfunction that created a lovely pumpkin soup pie (the probe came out clean but the pie was distinctly not done) and the two stars of what should be a four star meal did not shine. It's enough to make a guy cry FOWL.

Thankfully the wine room was fully loaded with good Oregon and Burgundy Pinot, as well as some festive bubbles. Today I am going to soak the remaining meat in a large pot with some potatoes in hopes of drawing out some of the salt, I mean no LEFTOVERS, oh the humanity....

One note about the puzzle, did anyone get messed up and think they got an answer that was a possible but, REALLY Mike? I found something that I could defend righteously, and I think should be a second answer to the puzzle (Oh, and I'll gladly accept a mug for the correct, second, or pointing out there was a second answer). It is not perhaps as elegant, but it is certainly apropos.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 pm After dinner, I printed out three copies, gave one to my niece and one to my son. We all finished at about the same time.
(I was surprised that neither of them got 46D immediately but had to get help from crossing letters. And they call themselves puzzlers.)
Interesting statement Bird, my buddy and I (I am trying to get him interested in the META part but he thinks they are all rather Machiavellian) when we ran across 46D. Those of a certain age will remember all of the family, but I wonder how long before they are relegated only to crossword history? I wonder if that is Sumacian fame?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

In the vein of the last few weeks of poetic license I offer one in each format and then offer one additional style:

My Turkey this year, it stank
And the pie did not make the ranks
But for a puzzle delightful
And fellow Muggles insightful
I offer my sincerest thanks

A meal lasts too short
For anyone to take notice
Metas are infinite

Many a long hour
Undertaking the solution
Gritting my teeth over rabbit holes
Grinning when the AHA arrives
Leads me to a type of peace
Eluding me outside this welcoming community
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Finally got to shore after suffering from turkey-numbed somnolence.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Took a quick break from family and feasting for this nice holiday puzzle. On (a very cold) shore!
BethA

Post by BethA »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 am
I tried something new this year, brining a turkey. Everyone raves about it, extolling the juiciness of the finished product. What they do not mention is that there is enough salt in the meat to make you emulate Lot's wife, that the skin will not crisp and that the pan drippings are unsuitable for gravy since they resemble leavings on the beach at the Great Salt Lake. So, hours of searching for the various ingredients, making the brine, trying desperately to keep this turkey submerged in a large pot, then more hours of cooking and waiting for this supposedly delicious beast to emerge were rewarded with a resounding EEW after the first bite! Top that off with an oven malfunction that created a lovely pumpkin soup pie (the probe came out clean but the pie was distinctly not done) and the two stars of what should be a four star meal did not shine. It's enough to make a guy cry FOWL.
So sorry to hear about your turkey troubles, DrTom! I've made a lot of turkeys over the years. I used to be a Butterball + Roasting Bag type, but the last several years have converted to locally-raised pastured turkeys, and have been really happy with them. They cost more, but are actually easier to make! I just put a few vegetables under and inside (onion, celery, carrot, garlic), butter and herbs on the outside. No bag. No basting. They are so naturally juicy, they don't need all the extra treatments. Makes great-tasting gravy, too. OK. Just wanted to get my plug in! Maybe something to try next year?

Just printed this weekend's variety puzzle -- a cryptic! Oh no! At first glance, it looks more challenging than the last witchy one that I was able to solve. We'll see. Sharpening my pencil...
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 am
Bird Lives wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 pm After dinner, I printed out three copies, gave one to my niece and one to my son. We all finished at about the same time.
(I was surprised that neither of them got 46D immediately but had to get help from crossing letters. And they call themselves puzzlers.)
Interesting statement Bird, my buddy and I (I am trying to get him interested in the META part but he thinks they are all rather Machiavellian) when we ran across 46D. Those of a certain age will remember all of the family, but I wonder how long before they are relegated only to crossword history? I wonder if that is Sumacian fame?
I know very little about sports, so this name was already only familiar to me because of crossword puzzles. Same with Orr and Ott (if 46D had been three letters, I would not have posted this for fear of an "elimination" spoiler).
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Just woke up from a 48 hour food coma. Finished the grid relatively quickly but just stared at the grid trying to think about the meta (while I was also thinking; "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"). Then the AHA woke me up and and can now watch my HS alma mater (St. Rita) compete in the IL Class 5A State Championship!
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Got the grid easily enough but I'm stuck on the meta. No breakthrough yet; however, I'm hopeful. Looks like most are solving without much difficulty.
Maybe it'll come to me soon.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmm - something bothered me about my answer because I know it is correct but to get to it I had to violate a big convention and one that I never had to before. I went back and looked and see that there are TWO ways to get to the correct answer (and using that convention TWO possible answers). Its what I get for thinking I know something that I filled in only with crossing letters. When I went back and corrected my mistake the answer is the same but a lot more elegantly achieved. I knew that Mike would not be that random, but it all fit before...

OK, so now I am not as strident about the correctness of the second answer (though as previously stated I'd still accept a mug for it :lol: ) but I certainly will look for others who suffered my temporary delusion.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BethA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 am
So sorry to hear about your turkey troubles, DrTom! I've made a lot of turkeys over the years. I used to be a Butterball + Roasting Bag type, but the last several years have converted to locally-raised pastured turkeys, and have been really happy with them. They cost more, but are actually easier to make! I just put a few vegetables under and inside (onion, celery, carrot, garlic), butter and herbs on the outside. No bag. No basting. They are so naturally juicy, they don't need all the extra treatments. Makes great-tasting gravy, too. OK. Just wanted to get my plug in! Maybe something to try next year?

Just printed this weekend's variety puzzle -- a cryptic! Oh no! At first glance, it looks more challenging than the last witchy one that I was able to solve. We'll see. Sharpening my pencil...
Absolutely Beth, I don't know that there are any local turkeys (well I do, but they are not the roasting kind, or at least not the oven roasting kind) but next year it will be at least a Kosher turkey from Trader Joe's or, perhaps if I can convince my wife that a whole turkey is not necessary for the to of us and our close friend I can get just a breast. Although I do like the veggies in the cavity idea - do you discard them or use them in soup/casseroles/etc. after?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 am Ashore and quite proud of how my CC skills are improving because a year ago I would have NEVER gotten this puzzle. It truth it was the highlight of the Thanksgiving week-end.

Thankfully the wine room was fully loaded with good Oregon and Burgundy Pinot, as well as some festive bubbles. Today I am going to soak the remaining meat in a large pot with some potatoes in hopes of drawing out some of the salt, I mean no LEFTOVERS, oh the humanity....

One note about the puzzle, did anyone get messed up and think they got an answer that was a possible but, REALLY Mike? I found something that I could defend righteously, and I think should be a second answer to the puzzle (Oh, and I'll gladly accept a mug for the correct, second, or pointing out there was a second answer). It is not perhaps as elegant, but it is certainly apropos.
I brined a turkey one time. Exactly once. Had the same experience you had. Why do the food magazines keep publishing these recipes, I have no idea.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

if you are brining a turkey, you need a fresh, never-frozen bird. The frozen ones are never completely thawed and it won't work.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
juliet

Post by juliet »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:10 am Ashore and quite proud of how my CC skills are improving because a year ago I would have NEVER gotten this puzzle. It truth it was the highlight of the Thanksgiving week-end.

I tried something new this year, brining a turkey. Everyone raves about it, extolling the juiciness of the finished product. What they do not mention is that there is enough salt in the meat to make you emulate Lot's wife, that the skin will not crisp and that the pan drippings are unsuitable for gravy since they resemble leavings on the beach at the Great Salt Lake.
I brined a turkey one time. Exactly once. Had the same experience you had. Why do the food magazines keep publishing these recipes, I have no idea.
After years of hearing (and believing) that brining produced a superior roasted turkey--but never undertaking it--I appreciate hearing that I have been spared the disappointment. Over the years, I've flipped the bird midway during the roast (awkward, but good results) and used the bags (great for saving time), however the best turkey I have ever had was the one prepared by someone else!
BethA

Post by BethA »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:35 am
BethA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 am

Absolutely Beth, I don't know that there are any local turkeys (well I do, but they are not the roasting kind, or at least not the oven roasting kind) but next year it will be at least a Kosher turkey from Trader Joe's or, perhaps if I can convince my wife that a whole turkey is not necessary for the to of us and our close friend I can get just a breast. Although I do like the veggies in the cavity idea - do you discard them or use them in soup/casseroles/etc. after?
The few veggies are there just to flavor the turkey and juices for the gravy. I discard them. Good luck next time!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Ashore. Well done, Mike.
Jack Sullivan