MGWCC #788 — “Mix Six”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MarkWoychick wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:14 pm I've submitted and am waiting (hopefully) to be beamed up.

We hosted a coding club sponsored by 45D this summer, so I knew that name but didn't know 45A. Also had to guess at 55D.
A supermodel coding camp? That sounds unique. Would love to hear how that happened. (Not familiar with the supermodel in question, or really any supermodels, but do code for a living.)
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up. Fun puzzle
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:46 pm
ajk wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:10 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm Surprised to have two naticks in a week 1 grid - square 45 and the cross of 64A and 55D.
Also didn't know either of these, though I guessed the second one correctly.
Same. Not on the board yet, hopefully awaiting.
I'll reply by DM now and can share more broadly when it won't be a grid spoiler
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I've beamed albeit with a helpful confirmation. There was one piece of this that I didn't like that caused my doubt. Can't say more to avoid a spoiler.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... still waiting...

... and I'm aboard!
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed aboard at #254. It seemed like a sure thing but the four hour wait between updates was still nerve-wracking.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up quickly. More time to stare at MMMM!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the transporter pad, Scotty, hit it!

99.99% certain, would be nice to have something in the grid to make it 100%, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

EDIT: of course, it's 100%, my bad.
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So I tried Downs only and got the bottom half of the grid but not the top, and and got the core for the meta. Then looked and the full puzzle but I needed every across clue from 1 to 17 to get the top half. But with the grid completed but no prompt I couldn't get anything further other than the core of the meta. So I read the prompt. Then felt gobsmacked for four minutes. But then figured the meta but... I must be missing something essential. I'm pretty sure (87%) of the answer but... I don't get it. I mean, why that mechanism? What does any of it mean?

I think I'll sleep on it before submitting. It'd be really embarrassing to whiff on a week one but... seriously, I don't get it.

EDIT: Oh, what the heck. Submitted. I mean it is a week one. It shouldn't be possible to underthink it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up at #251. Fun for a week 1.
Here’s another 6 mix to enjoy
IMG_9353.jpeg
New Millennium iToh peony
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I tried hard mode, quickly gave up. I'm beamed up at #199. Is there a badge for top 200?
Jay
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Requested beam up early this morning. Doesn't seem the board's been updated, so I can't say yet with 100% certainty that I got it. But I feel pretty confident.

Oddly, I don't see my name on any of the tabs. I know I had a streak of at least 10. Oh well. After the next update I'll see what happens, and email if I'm still AWOL.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:42 pm Requested beam up early this morning. Doesn't seem the board's been updated, so I can't say yet with 100% certainty that I got it. But I feel pretty confident.

Oddly, I don't see my name on any of the tabs. I know I had a streak of at least 10. Oh well. After the next update I'll see what happens, and email if I'm still AWOL.
All of the tabs reset every week. You’ll be back on the streaks and this year tabs after Matt marks your answer correct.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Couldn't get to the puzzle until late yesterday, on the board somewhere in the 300s :-)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:53 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:42 pm Requested beam up early this morning. Doesn't seem the board's been updated, so I can't say yet with 100% certainty that I got it. But I feel pretty confident.

All of the tabs reset every week. You’ll be back on the streaks and this year tabs after Matt marks your answer correct.
Indeed. I'm back on the boards. And beamed up.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:24 pm
MarkWoychick wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:14 pm I've submitted and am waiting (hopefully) to be beamed up.

We hosted a coding club sponsored by 45D this summer, so I knew that name but didn't know 45A. Also had to guess at 55D.
A supermodel coding camp? That sounds unique. Would love to hear how that happened. (Not familiar with the supermodel in question, or really any supermodels, but do code for a living.)
Now that the grid and answer have been revealed, I'll share how I knew 45D. I direct a program at Boise State that is funded by Apple, where we bring coding experiences to groups who are underrepresented in the tech industry. Apple connected us to Kode with Klossy, which has coding camps in the summer for middle and high school students. As you might guess, the KwK is run by model Karlie Kloss, which is how I came to know who she is. KwK was looking to expand to Boise, and we offered to recruit and provide space on campus for them. I'm happy to say that the camp was very successful and concluded recently on June 30. We're hoping to host the camp again next summer.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Thank you for the fun puzzle to work while at cancer treatment. I couldn’t decide between “Levi” and “Motel 6” so didn’t submit an answer. Each of the 4 letter themes included an “el” and that with “ autos” made me think of Motel 6. But, without “mot” that couldn’t be. For Levi, I couldn’t find “Strauss” and thinking that was needed for “a company name”. i didn’t think that was right either. Nevertheless, it was a nice diversion.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Am I the only one who has trouble with the mechanism (anagram the first word) being totally arbitrary and without motivation or with the title, "mix six", not really referring to anything except to anagram the words (no reference the company)? Or does Levi Strauss have some product named "mix something" or something?

Am I the only person who came away with this with a feeling "I don't get it"? Am I missing something?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:36 pm Am I the only one who has trouble with the mechanism (anagram the first word) being totally arbitrary and without motivation or with the title, "mix six", not really referring to anything except to anagram the words (no reference the company)? Or does Levi Strauss have some product named "mix something" or something?

Am I the only person who came away with this with a feeling "I don't get it"? Am I missing something?
I assumed mixing VI (as in "6" in roman numerals) was being implied?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: