"Part Two" - November 22, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

One rabbit hole, then on to shore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Meg wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 am
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm
As I get older I strive to be odder!
But do you wear purple, with a red hat which doesn’t go...
I wear a LOT of purple. No red hats. If I wear a red hat, will that help my brain solve the meta?
A tin foil hat turns the trick, here.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

I am walking down the Wal-Mart dairy aisle at the crack of dawn.

I stop dead in my tracks, get a thousand yard stare. After being motionless for 10 seconds, my wife, perhaps wondering if I have had a stroke, says "what is it?".

"I've just solved the meta!"

And so I had. Most satisfactory. On shore.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm
DBMiller wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 pm I think I said iambic pentameter would cause a problem...

We find ourselves in need of prose in form.
I will report that I have tried my best,
It looks as though I might have done this right.
The shoreline slowly creeps into my view.
I did get a kick out of 6D...
Yeah. That and the clue at 46D. Was trying to figure out how to squeeze "iambic pentameter" into that answer.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DrTom wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:49 am And almost like magic - got it! Focused on the title and it all became clear. As always masterful construction, where do they keep getting these ideas? So, ashore and now will be able to enjoy the weekend without feeling like a failure, or at least not a failure as fa as the puzzle goes. Oh, and I have to believe that 6D was a nod to the Muggles. Too late for wine, too early for hard liquor, I'll just go to bed.
I posted a strategy back a few months ago that went something like...

1) Make a solid effort to solve the meta but just can't make any headway.
2) Get frustrated to the point that you decide to announce your failure to the world by posting to this forum all your trials and tribulations.
3) Take a fresh look and...voila!

It's certainly not guaranteed, but I've seen it happen enough since then that I think it has some value. I'm not a psychologist (and I don't play one on TV) but I think it has some sort of therapeutic value in that it clears your mind of the mental blocks that are impeding your ability to see a clear pathway to the solution. Anyway...food for thought.
Last edited by tim1217 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

grwinski wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 pm Ashore! Looks like a 'medium' difficulty (3 stars?). Rita and I (George) are finally getting the hang of these. It's really nice that when you 'get it', you feel that there was no doubt about it!

Thanks Matt (and Mike!)
Getting the hang of these generally means that your mind has become warped like the rest of us
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

CallMeShane wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:35 am I am walking down the Wal-Mart dairy aisle at the crack of dawn.

I stop dead in my tracks, get a thousand yard stare. After being motionless for 10 seconds, my wife, perhaps wondering if I have had a stroke, says "what is it?".

My wife gives your wife her condolences
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 pm In many of these puzzles, there is a theme, hinted at in the title, that links the answer and the mechanism for getting to that answer. Maybe that’s what Wendy had in mind when she thought that things might be getting “risque.”

I got the mechanism and the meta, but if there is a common theme, I missed it.
I will follow up on Monday! My still-in-junior-high mind spotted something early on in the solving process.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

CallMeShane wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:35 am I am walking down the Wal-Mart dairy aisle at the crack of dawn.

Grateful for our long-suffering family members!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got it!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

after a reasonable night's sleep, I'm still on the boat ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore, or not on shore - that is the question.
The answer: shore!

I solved the grid last night (once again using the helpful excel template Joe Ross provided here - thanks Joe!) and saw the first toehold (quick check to make sure that's no spoiler ;) ). This morning I reworked the grid in the print edition and - boom! the solution popped out. I should keep some personal stats on how often that helps - it usually does the trick for me!

Agreed, this puzzle is a bit tougher than the last few. But as always, clever and fun!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 pm That was a fun trip to shore! Yes, a bit trickier than the last couple. I think novices will have a hard time with this one. There are answers that seem reasonable if you haven't been doing these long enough to have a feel for how they work.

So I wonder what the lead time is on these puzzles. Did Matt work in 6D after reading this blog last week? Or was this written so long ago he didn't even remember it til he saw it?

Poetry is very much not my thing, and I don't even really know what iambic pentameter is, but I'll enjoy reading everyone's offerings.
I am with you on the poetry comment, Barbara. I looked up iambic pentameter, and I still don’t think I could create it. Maybe I need to look up examples.
Cynthia
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore. 🏖

Fun one!
Konnie
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 am
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 pm That was a fun trip to shore! Yes, a bit trickier than the last couple. I think novices will have a hard time with this one. There are answers that seem reasonable if you haven't been doing these long enough to have a feel for how they work.

So I wonder what the lead time is on these puzzles. Did Matt work in 6D after reading this blog last week? Or was this written so long ago he didn't even remember it til he saw it?

Poetry is very much not my thing, and I don't even really know what iambic pentameter is, but I'll enjoy reading everyone's offerings.
I am with you on the poetry comment, Barbara. I looked up iambic pentameter, and I still don’t think I could create it. Maybe I need to look up examples.
From Wiki...

An iambic foot is an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable. The rhythm can be written as:

da DUM
The da-DUM of a human heartbeat is the most common example of this rhythm.

A standard line of iambic pentameter is five [penta] iambic feet in a row:

da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM
Straightforward examples of this rhythm can be heard in the opening line of William Shakespeare's Sonnet 12:

When I do count the clock that tells the time
and in John Keats' Ode To Autumn:[1]

To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
It is possible to notate this with a "/" marking ictic syllables (experienced as beats) and a "×" marking nonictic syllables (experienced as offbeats). In this notation a standard line of iambic pentameter would look like this:

× / × / × / × / × /
The scansion of the examples above can be notated as follows:

× / × / × / × / × /

× / × / × / × / × /

So mine posted yesterday looks like this...

x / x / x / x / x /
A quest like that of the ho ly gr ail
x / x / x / x / x /
To my great dis may I week ly fa il
x / x / x / x / x /
It haunts me like a vic ious vi ral bug
x / x / x / x / x /
Oh to solve the me ta and win the mug

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to space the x's and the /'s out so they line up but the text editor on the forum won't cooperate.
Last edited by tim1217 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Onshore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Friday morning fellow muggles

A bit more challenging contest from Mr. Gaffney but an amazing number of us were up to it. Currently we have three keeping Isaac company and 71 on the shore. This one is tricky but when you have the methodology you know it. And some of us backed into the solution and then had to fill in the blanks

Good luck to all in getting the correct "certain parts of the body"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Hanging with Isaac and enjoying a Bloody Mary.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

tim1217 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 am
CPJohnson wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 am

From Wiki...

An iambic foot is an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable. The rhythm can be written as:

da DUM
The da-DUM of a human heartbeat is the most common example of this rhythm.

A standard line of iambic pentameter is five [penta] iambic feet in a row:

da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM
Straightforward examples of this rhythm can be heard in the opening line of William Shakespeare's Sonnet 12:

and in John Keats' Ode To Autumn:[1]

It is possible to notate this with a "/" marking ictic syllables (experienced as beats) and a "×" marking nonictic syllables (experienced as offbeats). In this notation a standard line of iambic pentameter would look like this:

× / × / × / × / × /
The scansion of the examples above can be notated as follows:

× / × / × / × / × /

× / × / × / × / × /

So mine posted yesterday looks like this...

x / x / x / x / x /
A quest like that of the ho ly gra il
x / x / x / x / x /
To my great dis may I week ly fa il
x / x / x / x / x /
It haunts me like a vic ious vir al bug
x / x / x / x / x /
Oh to solve the me ta and win the mug

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to space the x's and the /'s out so they line up but the text editor on the forum won't cooperate.
Thanks! Are you a teacher?
Cynthia
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

I am anatomically correct.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)