MGWCC #784 — “They Turn Into Superheroes”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Snuck into the first 100 with some helpful confirms. Fun conclusion: kind of no, no, no, no... wait, that last one is a yes!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Waiting for beamage. Finally found the heroic group.

Edit - Beamed up.
Last edited by ky-mike on Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

:::Groan::: Finally saw it. Awaiting beamage.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

For them what wants, I've created a spreadsheet for this puzzle & PMed its link to those who've requested it previously.

If you'd like to be added to this list for future MGWCC spreadsheets or if you'd like the spreadsheet for this puzzle, alone, send a PM with your posting name (for subscription verification).

NOTE: The spreadsheet is merely a tool with 15 grids on which to work out various strategies, once the top grid is fully filled. Use the varied & powerful spreadsheet tools to highlight, copy & paste, draw shapes, & format text to work on your solution.

THIS TOOL DOES NOT OFFER HINTS OF ANY TYPE & USING IT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH YOUR SOLO SOLVE.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I have submitted and am sure of my answer. I had it from about minute one after solving a very tough grid for me. However, to get to the end (i.e. verify) took some real stretching. I cannot say I have ever seen that mechanism before, nor really want to see it again - though if I did I'd know exactly what to do :D

EDIT: On the Enterprise at #119. I am sorry I needed a nudge, because I had it early on from an intuit though did not know why, but I did and I'm happy it is done.
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

okay - I finally saw it (yes, agree this was clever and SAD). My “out of my wheelhouse” sentiment not a big factor.

Also, since I’m in the car, I was typing in my answer on Matt’s board and mistyped the last letter. When I was deleting that bad letter the car hit a bump and made me hit the button below delete also (which is ENTER) - so…. my fingers submitted the answer minus one letter. (I emailed Matt to explain.. we shall see whether I get on the board this week).

UPDATE - quick reply,and generous. ( :

Happy lovely weekend, all! MIGHT be able to get on the Tuesday night soon this week, IF we have good WiFi at the beach.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:37 am I hated this one until I loved it.
I was ambivalent on this one until I hated it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Well, I just saw something, kind of by accident, that I guess is it. Submitted but won't claim actual beamed-up status until I see it on the leaderboard.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I have submitted an answer - if I'm right, it's a solo solve and if I'm wrong, it's a solo fail.

Edit: Beamed up! A slog all around, but I got my 50 badge. Feel like I earned it with this one :)
Last edited by MarkWoychick on Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Out of my misery thanks to a kind nudge. KAS5. Short streak ends.

Stay well all.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :alien: :flying_saucer: Assisted into the tractor beam.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I came up with an answer I can defend but it was wrong. Curious if anyone did the same thing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:37 am I hated this one until I loved it.
You know, I believe Al is right. I cannot say this is a favorite mechanism BUT it is kind of a cilantro thing. If you don't like it you don't like it and if you do you eventually find yourself liking it more and more. I have ruminated on this and even think I have found a "push clue" that gives a nod to the actual mechanism. Now it may just be the old thing of being able to "back associate" in the brain when you know an outcome, and there are as many instances (particularly in medicine and pharmacology) where that is pure drivel, but it would be interesting to see if that was the intent of the creator. So, I am not at "I love it" yet, but it is really clever in its departure from the usual.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Toby wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:01 am I came up with an answer I can defend but it was wrong. Curious if anyone did the same thing.
Well there are 9 more people in the "Overall" tab than in "This Week"...
I did have an answer that seemed *okay* but not *good* before getting the actual answer.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

Finally got this one! I had the right answer for the wrong reasons for a long time before I saw the right reasons. Will have to elucidate after the reveal...
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, finally got step 1.... still suffering through this one
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I was the first to submit an incorrect WAG, but now have solved solo. VERY clever!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I have been beamed aboard. Yes, this was one where too much knowledge could be dangerous, and I've been going to Comic-Con for the last 20 years... But it was a fun solve when I got there.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I don't know whether the nudge I got would be considered gentle or strong, but it allowed me to see the solution immediately and just as immediately feel dim-witted for not having seen it myself. As for the grid. . . .
Venn.jpg
Jay
Abide

Post by Abide »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:35 am but it would be interesting to see if that was the intent of the creator.
I feel pretty sure it was. Great grid, cluing, and meta.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald