MGWCC #784 — “They Turn Into Superheroes”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #784 — “They Turn Into Superheroes”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #784 — Friday, June 9th, 2023

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR MONTH, PUZZLE #2

“They Turn Into Superheroes” by Quiara Vasquez

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR MONTH, PUZZLE #2:

Batting second this month is Quiara Vasquez. Quiara is an artist and writer whose work as a puzzlemaker you’ve seen in all the regular places (NYT, USA Today, blah blah blah) and some of the weirder ones, including as an editor for AVCX (which is open for submissions now until the end of the month) and Crucinova (which is coming off a job-hunt-induced hiatus and going back to regular weekly puzzles later this month). If you liked this grid, there’s more like it on her blog QVXwordz.

Thanks, Quiara! On to the meta…

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a heroic group.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page
A subscription costs $3/month.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Swing and a miss!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Hmmm… I think I see what may be going on, but I fear I do not know enough about this topic to get the pieces. Might have to give this one a pass, since my record is wrecked anyway.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I think I see something, but that's all I see. (I'll check my glasses.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:18 pm Swing and a miss!
Can't hit a home run without taking a big swing once in a while.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I was a comic book nerd (no disrespect intended with that word) when I was younger, so I feel like I should get this one. And there are a lot of shiny things. But I can't land it yet. I think it might be one of those where too much knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

If the cluing is any indication, I'm not getting this one. I'm in the wrong demographic. (Was barely able to do the grid...)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Cool! Thanks, Quiara!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Is this a week 2 or have I been hibernating and it is a week 5? The grid is working on being a bear.

I have thrown in the towel for this week's MGWCC. Too many clues/answer that I would have to google (maybe 60% of all answers) and that makes the contest no fun.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I guess I'm old. Even though I manage to do the New Yorker everyday, this grid was tough!
I had a guess, but can't make it work. Now I see something that can't be a coincidence, but what to do with that?
Joe

Post by Joe »

I figured it out! It's a good one. And 100%. But harder than a week 2, in my very humble opinion.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Trish

Post by Trish »

We finally got it but also think it was a hard one! Ooh-la-la, glad it is over!
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Got it! But I think it was a little bit SAD.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

it's a solid grid - I didn't have the troubles that some had (and I'm not a spring chicken, I can now take distributions from my IRA w/o a penalty as of last month) ... but no visibility to the "metanism" (to steal from the WSJ thread)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Leslie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:57 pm Got it! But I think it was a little bit SAD.
Seasonal Affective Disorder?!
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Solved with a nudge. Don’t know if I’d have gotten there without it!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Joe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 pm I figured it out! It's a good one. And 100%. But harder than a week 2, in my very humble opinion.
Last month's Week 2 (the MGWCC whose answer was, well, "MGWCC") was pretty crunchy as well. These pesky Week 2s!

Yeah, something is clearly escaping me. Probably need to move from PUZ to PDF at this point (usually do that around sundown of night 1 if nothing emerges).

littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

was hoping for a nice, smooth solve with this one after not immediately seeing the paths in either this week's WSJ or this month's MMMM.....

but i literally know nothing about superheroes or the genre or the movies or anything, again, literally whatsoever... have never even seen one of the superhero films other than one of the older batman installments once...

so if any of that is necessary knowledge for figuring out the meta, i'm screwed, hooray so cool
KayW

Post by KayW »

PuzNewbie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:04 pm
Leslie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:57 pm Got it! But I think it was a little bit SAD.
Seasonal Affective Disorder?!
Simple And Difficult. I think the term was coined by Matt Gaffney: the metanism is straightforward but can be difficult to spot.

And so far it sure has been difficult for this geezer who's feeling even older after fumbling and googling my way through this grid. But I'm not giving up just yet...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Ohhhh, okay. That has to be it.

Submitted and awaiting the beam. Brilliant.

Edit: Beamed up at #31! In honor of 31, I'll celebrate with some ice cream.