"Heads and Tails " June 9, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I am probably going to have to wait for someone to burn badly enough to go in before I find a place at the beach, but ashore FINALLY. Actually that was a VERY nicely done puzzle (Mike Shenk, nicely done, yes I know, "quelle surprise") and I liked the Mx in the end. I was lost in the same holes I'll bet lots of folks were, my mind does not yet think like a MS or MG when it comes to mechanisms, but hey a few years ago I would not even have had a chance.

Interestingly enough it was a request for a nudge from someone that made me go back and look and try to make something out of what I was SURE was not a coincidence (it wasn't) and why my previous attempts had almost solved it if I had just listened to that little voice. No matter it finally clicked, and to the Muggle who offered me a nudge (we are a kind group) can I have a rain check? :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Ashore!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 pm if "metanism" wasn't yet a word, it is now.
Thank goodness. I've been pushing that one for over a year, at least.

Was always fascinated by how some words come about, and only sometimes intentionally. Richard Dawkins coined the word "Meme" in his landmark book "The Selfish Gene." He wanted to come up with a term for a unit of cultural transmission, similar to a gene. And in fact, he chose "Meme" because it rhymed with "Gene."

But I still use it in the Darwinian sense Dawkins intended, and my kids are only used to the concept of a meme as a reference to internet memes. I guess the term evolved....
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

During a very busy week, I filled in grid quickly, gave the meta two minutes to show itself, then put it aside for another day. On another day, I gave the meta another 15 minutes, or so, then put it aside. Opened it again, today, & the meta wrapped itself around my head and asked, "Where have you been?!?"

Ashore.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:33 pm
EVJ wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:48 pm Bob, count my still AT SEA.
@EVJ I have your still at sea. Are you with it? LOL
I’m still AT SEA! I just found step one but now the rabbit holes begin.
I think you were teasing me about my typo?
Hey, I got a new knee on Thursday so was still in a bit of a fog while posting my status. But hey I got the grid done by Friday morning in the hospital. Was that a difficult grid or was it just me coming out of anesthesia? Hahaha
I am definitely on the slow boat this week. How does anyone see what needs to be seen in 15 minutes?!?!
Gman

Post by Gman »

On shore with a nice shove of my surfboard by a fellow Muggle.
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:08 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 pm if "metanism" wasn't yet a word, it is now.
Thank goodness. I've been pushing that one for over a year, at least.

Was always fascinated by how some words come about, and only sometimes intentionally. Richard Dawkins coined the word "Meme" in his landmark book "The Selfish Gene." He wanted to come up with a term for a unit of cultural transmission, similar to a gene. And in fact, he chose "Meme" because it rhymed with "Gene."

But I still use it in the Darwinian sense Dawkins intended, and my kids are only used to the concept of a meme as a reference to internet memes. I guess the term evolved....
How are those two usages any different? An internet meme is unit of cultural transmission. Okay, many people refer to it incorrectly and think any graphic with a label on it is a meme regardless of how much or little it is transfered and then the meme is the graphic itself rather than the spreading of the graphic itself but... An internet meme is the meme as Dawins meant it I think.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

Satisfying grid and solve.
Dapperdan

Post by Dapperdan »

Ashore mate!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Ashore for sure, and heading to the Eastern Shore tomorrow.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:42 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:08 pm Was always fascinated by how some words come about, and only sometimes intentionally. Richard Dawkins coined the word "Meme" in his landmark book "The Selfish Gene." He wanted to come up with a term for a unit of cultural transmission, similar to a gene. And in fact, he chose "Meme" because it rhymed with "Gene."

How are those two usages any different? An internet meme is unit of cultural transmission. Okay, many people refer to it incorrectly and think any graphic with a label on it is a meme regardless of how much or little it is transfered and then the meme is the graphic itself rather than the spreading of the graphic itself but... An internet meme is the meme as Dawins meant it I think.
Oh it is. You are correct. An internet meme is one type of meme, but just one type. My kids were saying that "meme" is defined as a graphic image on the internet that is shared widely with many people using the same image but putting different labels on it. (Or something along those lines.) They thought that was the only usage.

Or at least that's what they argued. Maybe they knew I was correct, but were just trying to get me riled up. Kids...
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm
woozy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:42 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:08 pm Was always fascinated by how some words come about, and only sometimes intentionally. Richard Dawkins coined the word "Meme" in his landmark book "The Selfish Gene." He wanted to come up with a term for a unit of cultural transmission, similar to a gene. And in fact, he chose "Meme" because it rhymed with "Gene."

I insist on calling those "infographics" and refer circulated texts and stories as "memes" as well. Someone has to...

Oh it is. You are correct. An internet meme is one type of meme, but just one type. My kids were saying that "meme" is defined as a graphic image on the internet that is shared widely with many people using the same image but putting different labels on it. (Or something along those lines.) They thought that was the only usage.

Or at least that's what they argued. Maybe they knew I was correct, but were just trying to get me riled up. Kids...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
LizD

Post by LizD »

Ashore!

I missed my muggle friends last week! We went exploring in our backyard here in the Smokies and I had no signal to get the puzzle. Went through a little bit of meta withdrawal and complained to my family... Then promptly cracked a beer and sat by the fire. 😁

Here's a picture of my "backyard"; what we call God's country. 😊

IMG_1330.jpeg
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore!
I finished the grid yesterday morning, gave the meta a few minutes of casual thought with nothing clicking; so I moved on with my day.
This morning I picked up my iPad with the solved grid and immediately saw what had to be step one. From there it was a quick trip to the solution. A very fun one with fantastic construction!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore - nice diversion from a busy week; now with family members happily chatting and putting away on old Games and other puzzle magazines :-). Happy solving - good health and good cheer,
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm drowning but close to the beach.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

On the beach, good one Mike!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Been to the beach at Ocean View, near Rehoboth Beach, DE, that is, and back.
Worked out with improvised weights.
6 10 2023 Workout with Weights Indian River Bay.jpg
Also found a horseshoe crab.
6 10 2023 Horseshoe crab.jpg
Saw the band Shake the Room at the North Beach bar. (its just north of South Beach)
Their lead vocalist, Robyn Bingham, was great!
Last edited by FKelly on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Back from vacation in St. Thomas, where we swam with dolphins, and we are ashore!