Episode #395: I Can't Hear You

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
BarbaraK

Episode #395: I Can't Hear You

Post by BarbaraK »

There's a new contest crossword from Fill Me In, and I'm just too excited/impatient to wait for @bcimmet to make the first post:) (Plus since he's just opening a new show, he's probably busy.)

Title: I Can't Hear You
Author: Brian Gubin
Prompt: The solution to this puzzle is the title of a song

My podcast app didn't include a link to the puzzle, but with a bit of detective work I found it at

https://bit.ly/fmi395con

As always, to submit the answer for a chance to win the prize, you have to listen to the podcast to get the secret password. The deadline is Sunday, June 18th.

For me, this was pretty E-word, 1 banana, but of course YMMV.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Banana's peeled.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved! Nice aha moment.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, much easier than the WSJ contest, that's for sure.

But didn't someone already do this?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 pm Well, much easier than the WSJ contest, that's for sure.

I did have a sense of dejavu. Maybe that was because of this: viewtopic.php?t=1358 (spoilers for the current puzzle ahead!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yep. That's the one. Didn't go back far enough.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Yes, I have no banana!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:banana: Just got a chance to do this one now. Solved.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:54 pm
woozy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 pm Well, much easier than the WSJ contest, that's for sure.

I did have a sense of dejavu. Maybe that was because of this: viewtopic.php?t=1358 (spoilers for the current puzzle ahead!)
I was just going to post that. After I got the first two letters it hit me that I had done it already. I think they should have changed it up by including a few more examples and eventually getting:
SOUND OF _____ (SILENCE)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!