MGWCC #783 — “Pressed for Time” by Erik Agard

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Sigh. Beaming up. Whatever.

Really lost my enthusiasm after last week’s fiasco… which I can now explain. I saw and circled all the homonyms in the themers:
TWO TOO
EWE YOU
OAR OR
SO SEW
but circled them sloppily, and when I circled EWE I didn’t catch the first E… so I saw “TWOS” by taking (what I thought was) the first letter of each pair. “Ah,” says I, “we have pairs of homonyms! They come in twos! Perfect!”

RIGHT after submitting it occurred to me that I had earlier noticed SOW elsewhere in the puzzle, and thought it interesting that it matched SEW in the themer. Then remembered the same for YEW. Uh-oh….

GAAAHHHHH!! There went my 100+ streak.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Beamed up

last week, I was in the shower and went "EWE, YOU, ... YEW!!! and knew the path to the answer.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:21 pm
MikeyG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:15 pm "Did you iron all your clothes?"
"No, I was pressed for time."

(Sorry if I board you.)
You mangled that one my friend!
I wonder how many know what a mangle is, er was, just as I wonder how many people know the origin of being "put through the wringer." In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see that one in print now as "ringer."
Last edited by Bird Lives on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I downloaded the .puz file and was mystified by that clue at 16D. What "brown blocks"?
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted.

EDIT: and beamed :flying_saucer: :alien:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed. Just as I hit submit I got a nagging feeling that maybe I was missing something. I thought of two other possible answers. So, either I guessed the correct one or they are all being accepted.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed at #255 after very long meeting delayed the start. Speedy solve once I finally had the time.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Now having all the other achievements, I'm dreaming of that 1-Across. Not thinking it's likely, but a girl can dream, right?

So today, since I was busy at noon when it came out, I didn't look at it at all until I was home and on my computer, and I noted the time when I opened the .puz file. 9 minutes later, I knew what the answer was. That would have put me at best at 8 on the leaderboard and a full 7 minutes behind #1 Lily. Ah, well.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This took me way too long to figure out, but on the board.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... and I'm beamed! Fun puzzle.
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Got home at 6.30(ish), finished the grid, came up with a rather short word that meant absolutely nothing (even in 5-down), then - click.
Figured the leaderboard would be full to the gills (completely 1-down?) - but wow, looking like I’ll post a decent bowling score…

EDIT beamed at 281. Missed those last frame 10 strikes..
Last edited by Berto on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I forgot about the puzzle this morning (got used to it coming out on the weekend, I guess). Saw what I needed to see, then nothing. Put it down and looked at it again and there it was. That took me way too long.
Heidi
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Haha, looked at this one late Friday and snuck in just under #300. Tempis fugits.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:07 pm Now having all the other achievements, I'm dreaming of that 1-Across. Not thinking it's likely, but a girl can dream, right?

So today, since I was busy at noon when it came out, I didn't look at it at all until I was home and on my computer, and I noted the time when I opened the .puz file. 9 minutes later, I knew what the answer was. That would have put me at best at 8 on the leaderboard and a full 7 minutes behind #1 Lily. Ah, well.
@BarbaraK

Waiting for the email will not get you to be #1 unless it is a very hard meta. I was at my computer and the email came in at 12:03 ET. I looked at the page and Lily was on at 12:02
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:18 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:07 pm Now having all the other achievements, I'm dreaming of that 1-Across. Not thinking it's likely, but a girl can dream, right?

@BarbaraK

Waiting for the email will not get you to be #1 unless it is a very hard meta. I was at my computer and the email came in at 12:03 ET. I looked at the page and Lily was on at 12:02
Pfft!

Waiting for email?

Not going to work.

Us mere mortals need to divine a best guess from the pre-posted title & meta clue - ON MATT'S SITE, then dump that WAG at 12:00:01 PM ET & pray for the best.

Forget the PDF

Forget the PUZ.

I had the answer, today at 11:48 AM ET, then allowed myself to be distracted from posting until, 12:03:&change, which was far too late.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Beamed up after a late start. Nice week one to start this special month.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:15 pm I download the .puz file and was mystified by that clue at 16D. What "brown blocks"?
You'll have to view the PDF file to see the brown blocks, as they're black in the .puz file.
woozy

Post by woozy »

ReB wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:01 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:15 pm I download the .puz file and was mystified by that clue at 16D. What "brown blocks"?
You'll have to view the PDF file to see the brown blocks, as they're black in the .puz file.
For more clarification: There are three sets of squares. The outside squares are black squares that you do not write in. The white squares that you do write in form a sort of figure eight. The inner squares that you do not write in are brown in color in the pdf. In the puz file as the puz file can only render standard squares, writable white or inalterable blank black, these brown squares had to render as black.

What the entire grid resembles should be obvious but I'll never tell. 16D refers to what the inner set of unwritable blank squares represent.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:14 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:21 pm
MikeyG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:15 pm "Did you iron all your clothes?"
"No, I was pressed for time."

(Sorry if I board you.)
You mangled that one my friend!
I wonder how many know what a mangle is, er was, just as I wonder how many people know the origin of being "put through the wringer." In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see that one in print now as "ringer."
I remember my grandmother had a mangle in her basement, which she used on all her linens and even on some trousers (nice, defined pleats). I have many times wished I had asked for that thing when she moved! I still use my iron the top third (including top hem) of my sheets, remembering how smooth and crisp hers were because of that mangle iron, and how lovely those sheets felt. (This is the grandmother that just died in February, at age 103). : (
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 am
I remember my grandmother had a mangle in her basement, which she used on all her linens and even on some trousers (nice, defined pleats). I have many times wished I had asked for that thing when she moved! I still use my iron the top third (including top hem) of my sheets, remembering how smooth and crisp hers were because of that mangle iron, and how lovely those sheets felt. (This is the grandmother that just died in February, at age 103). : (
Ever since I started living on my own at age 20, I concluded that ironed sheets were just not worth the effort, especially since for several years, I didn't own an iron. Even as a grown-up, I would see ads for "no-iron sheets" and think, "All sheets are no-iron sheets." Now you remind me of the pleasures of the bed that I missed. But there were others.
Jay