"Couples Only" June 2, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
curtremarks

Post by curtremarks »

On shore, found it easy this time after a long week with Isaac playing gin with tarot cards.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Came ashore with my head on the pilow at 67A. It tok me awhile to get the first letter, good one Matt!
What I thought would be a quick swim Thursday went otherwise as I got caught in some rabbit-shaped seaweed that blocked my sight-line to shore. Once disentangled I was able to see the path.

Sticking with hibiscus tea for now until family arrives to celebrate my wife's birthday (65 today).
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
BetterMonday

Post by BetterMonday »

Sometimes I am too literal for my own good. Onshore!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore quickly, which was nice after last week’s challenge.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore. A good one for a late start.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:35 am Would love to win a mug for solving. Chances of that are so slim I’d rather save luck like that for a lottery ticket.
So for my birthday in August (or the 42nd wedding anniversary this month), does anybody know where I can ask hubby to get a mug made that says something like “Muggle meta solver” or words to that effect?
I think @Kas's wife could tell you where to get a mug with "WSJ Crossword Champion Wannabe" or something like that:) Unless I'm totally mis-remembering, which is always possible
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:35 am Would love to win a mug for solving. Chances of that are so slim I’d rather save luck like that for a lottery ticket.
So for my birthday in August (or the 42nd wedding anniversary this month), does anybody know where I can ask hubby to get a mug made that says something like “Muggle meta solver” or words to that effect?
Probably Etsy -- Give them some business after all the times we've used them in crosswords. :P
Oh, and might as well get "Queen of the Universe" on the other side while you're at it.
Happy celebrations to come.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Many thanks to those with suggestions on where to get a “wanna be” mug. Hubby took the not so subtle hint and the mug should arrive next Monday via Amazon.
No unauthorized use of the WSJ logo will appear on it.
Queen of the Universe…hmmm….
But then I couldn’t have just a mug. It would need to be a chalice or something. 😁
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Ashore! After taking a break for a few weeks, it’s good to be back solving!
iblinked

Post by iblinked »

On shore!!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles.

Our final count is 235 on shore. Fun meta but long odds of winning the mug

And welcome to our newest muggle - @BetterMonday and someone will have a better Monday if they get the right email from the WSJ.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore
ColeTrain

Post by ColeTrain »

Anyone up this wee hour (67 A hah) to give me a nudge? I think it's just me and Isaac at this point.

Edit: believe to be on shore now with help from a slight nudge.
Last edited by ColeTrain on Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usually found struggling with the meta late Saturday and Sunday night.
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Made it to shore late this week after traveling all weekend. Glad it was a quick swim!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
KayW

Post by KayW »

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Helped that on the first pass through the grid I tried NAT for 44A and LOL for 58D, so when those came up in the double letters the mechanism was obvious. But luck still counts!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

My husband ordered one for me several years ago (I’ve been doing the contest for seven years and have never won a mug). He thinks he ordered it on Snapfish. But there are several sites that will do it. Cafe Press comes to mind.
Heidi