MGWCC #782 — “Hear, Here!”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
oldjudge

MGWCC #782 — “Hear, Here!”

Post by oldjudge »

1AD

According to the Gaffneian Calendar this should be Week 1 AD (after delays) 🤞.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #782 — Saturday, May 27th, 2023 — “Hear, Here!” by Patrick Berry

GUEST META:

Today’s meta is a guest spot from longtime FOMGWCC (Friend of MGWCC) Patrick Berry. Good luck!

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a four-letter word.

Note on MGWCC #782
Dear Solver,

Due to a strange font issue, some apostrophes and commas are being left out of clues on some solvers' .puz file. Does not seem to be happening with everyone, but it's happening for some.

The PDF appears to be fine for everyone, so if you see a comma or apostrophe missing where there should be one, please check it against the PDF and know that it's not meta-related at all.

Thanks and sorry for the hassle!

--Matt

NOTE: Due to the late post, the deadline for submitting entries to this meta is Wednesday, May 31st, at noon ET.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page
A subscription costs $3/month.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

LOL, roll back the calendar
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

My teenage son has become addicted to metas and wanted to do our first co-solve. Confidently submitted thanks to his eagle eyes!

Edit: on the board at #6. 😊
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

beaming up!

EDIT: #11, nice
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Sat May 27, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
jbird

Post by jbird »

beamed...I was saying a few four letter words after going down a few rabbit holes :lol:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed after a fun Discord group solve
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

On the board at 13 - my earliest appearance ever I think, and likely the closest I'll ever be to achieving the 1-across badge!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Joe

Post by Joe »

Well, thank God for that update because that was literally ALL I was focused on. Moving along...
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Waiting to be beamed up.

Or incinerate in the transporter. My answer seems like it works. And I have logic behind a metanism. It just seems odd that I would have a week 4 solo solve.

Edit: On the board at #26. Okay, it's definitely a holiday weekend if I'm that high on the list. Everyone must be out having fun.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

OH SNAP!! I submitted an answer that made perfect sense and was gotten directly from the right places in the right order. Then I thought of a further step that could be taken, which ALSO would yield a good answer.. and THAT is probably the right one. How do we email Matt directly? I’ve done that before and he’s accepted my alternate answer as valid. (I’m betting some others will step in this trap… hope it’s unintended!)

UPDATE: I NEED ALL YOUR SYMPATHY, Muggles. What I had thought was a perfect alternate answer (which I found and submitted first) was OFF by a letter because of my sloppy circling. I just busted my 100+ streak.

I need a drink… can we do that in THIS thread too? Isaaaaac???
The other Wendy. :roll:
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Pair solve by mr./ms. mkmf submitted for beaming.

Edit: Beamed at #30. Very satisfying solve. It didn't come easy.
Last edited by mkmf on Sat May 27, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Beamed! Love Patrick Berry! I guess the month of guest constructors started early.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Awaiting beamage (is that a word?). Fun Patrick Berry puzzle as always!

Beam me up!
Last edited by hcbirker on Sat May 27, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm OH SNAP!! I submitted an answer that made perfect sense and was gotten directly from the right places in the right order. Then I thought of a further step that could be taken, which ALSO would yield a good answer.. and THAT is probably the right one. How do we email Matt directly? I’ve done that before and he’s accepted my alternate answer as valid. (I’m betting some others will step in this trap… hope it’s unintended!)

UPDATE: I NEED ALL YOUR SYMPATHY, Muggles. What I had thought was a perfect alternate answer (which I found and submitted first) was OFF by a letter because of my sloppy circling. I just busted my 100+ streak.

Ouch! Condolences. I think I need a drink just hearing that. (Cuz I won't ever have my own 100+ streak?)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board at #44. I actually had the answer earlier during the Discord group effort, but had to run out for a few hours and did not have time to submit. Looks like it may be shaping up to be a true week 4.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm OH SNAP!! I submitted an answer that made perfect sense and was gotten directly from the right places in the right order. Then I thought of a further step that could be taken, which ALSO would yield a good answer.. and THAT is probably the right one. How do we email Matt directly? I’ve done that before and he’s accepted my alternate answer as valid. (I’m betting some others will step in this trap… hope it’s unintended!)

Sending condolences! I think Isaac will give you this one on the house.

Not even close to being beamed up yet, but I did make some progress. I have figured out the answer is a 4-letter word.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome's tale of whoa (Whoa! Don't be hasty!) makes me dubious about submitting mine. It works but doesn't fit entirely (but then again several puzzles -- "title role" had nothing to do with titles) but mechanism it fits pretty well (but....)

Can I run mine by someone?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay. So has anyone ever read Robert Forward's "Dragon's Egg"?

At the very end an alien race gives scientific advances to humans but only with nudges and hints. Thye tell humans that they can find the principals of faster than light travel in a capsule orbiting some distant star. In other words ... humans will find the answer to faster than light travel but only after they travel faster than light.

This meta is like that. You can solve it... but only if you know the answer.

But wow.... the confirmation works three ways to sunday!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

Boom! #57
Fun puzzle!