How many vocations do MGWCC solvers share?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
eckmania

How many vocations do MGWCC solvers share?

Post by eckmania »

I put this question in the MGWCC thread, but i shoulda put it here I think. I was immediately drawn to metas once I “discovered” Matt’s website 9 years ago. I’ve often wondered if there are certain “types” of people who gravitate towards metas. I sometimes get hints about what professions some fiend commenters are in, but I’m wondering if there has ever been a ”roll call/survey” of sorts to see how many vocational and/or avocational similarities are shared among the 500+ regular solvers.

I’ll start-
I’m a dentist and a music composer.

Joe
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I started college as a computer science major and ended with a Finance major. Retired CPA who worked in both public (5 yrs) and private (32 yrs) sectors. I think that the logic required to program computers and make balance sheets balance is a great fit for crossword solving, especially meta crosswords.

Mike
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I am a tutor of math, English, and test prep for close to 15 years. Math is like a puzzle to solve, which is why I enjoy it so much, and I do see some overlap in meta crosswords that use similar mathematical parts of the brain. It's the marriage of crossword and logic problems (outside of meta crosswords, my favorite puzzles are those classic logic-based ones with the grids or the tables; I have yet to figure out how to incorporate one into a meta puzzle, but never say never!).

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's a few vocations for you... I'm a maths/computer science/media secondary teacher with a side hustle in theology (MTh, and working on a PhD part-time). I also love music (I play piano/guitar/bass guitar). I have written two albums worth of songs (available to stream on Spotify!), a full-length musical, a play, and four novels (one in the comedy-sci-fi genre, the other three are historical fiction mashed up with biblical interpretation). I have a YouTube channel for music videos and short theological talks. And I construct meta crosswords! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

benchen71 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:32 am Here's a few vocations for you... I'm a maths/computer science/media secondary teacher with a side hustle in theology (MTh, and working on a PhD part-time). I also love music (I play piano/guitar/bass guitar). I have written two albums worth of songs (available to stream on Spotify!), a full-length musical, a play, and four novels (one in the comedy-sci-fi genre, the other three are historical fiction mashed up with biblical interpretation). I have a YouTube channel for music videos and short theological talks. And I construct meta crosswords! :D
Cool! I checked out and subbed to your YouTube. Here’s mine https://youtube.com/@eckmanians
I found your Acapella multitrack right away. I’ve got a few of those as well, and I know the planning that goes into them. Check out my doo-wop arrangement of Oh Darling
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Wow, there are some very talented people here! Not a big surprise though.

I have an electrical engineering degree and work as a hardware verification engineer. IIRC there are a few engineers here; as with math and computer science, the logic component goes well with metas.
Abide

Post by Abide »

meh, I'm just a lawyer
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I was a Systems Analyst and IT Project Manager for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Now that I'm retired, I'm a part-time commercial fisherman, Wild Birds Unlimited employee, and meta constructor. (It's a good thing I have my pension! :D )
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
boharr

Post by boharr »

I'm a retired editor. Last position was deputy editor of the New York Times Book Review, where I worked for 30 years. @Cap'n Rick is right. Pensions come in handy.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I started out as a seamstress( dressmaking and alterations) doing alterations in department stores. One year at a Lillie Rubin then ten years at Macy's.
Followed up as a front desk receptionist at a commercial construction company (all in Birmingham, AL). After a couple of moves with after settling in Mississippi and a few years of idleness, I am now the Senior Adult Ministries Coordinator at my church. I also sing in the church choir and Symphony Chorus and am on the Symphony board of directors.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

After studying accounting and working in the field for a few years here in Israel, I now work as a payroll manager at a local college. I also moonlight as a Hebrew teacher at a local high school a few hours a week.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

I'm and RF engineer, started out as digital and data, got told by my boss at Bell Labs, your and engineer, now go work on the front end of the cordless phone....so poof became an RF guy. I'm one of the folks that understand how your cell phone talks to the base station (at least through LTE) now I do certifications for our products at all the carriers.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

MikeyG wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:24 am I am a tutor of math, English, and test prep for close to 15 years. Math is like a puzzle to solve, which is why I enjoy it so much, and I do see some overlap in meta crosswords that use similar mathematical parts of the brain. It's the marriage of crossword and logic problems (outside of meta crosswords, my favorite puzzles are those classic logic-based ones with the grids or the tables; I have yet to figure out how to incorporate one into a meta puzzle, but never say never!).

Mikey G
@benchen71 did something along those lines with his Cluedo puzzle, which Ben, is still probably my favorite Meta I've done.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

jhseeman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:40 am
MikeyG wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:24 am I am a tutor of math, English, and test prep for close to 15 years. Math is like a puzzle to solve, which is why I enjoy it so much, and I do see some overlap in meta crosswords that use similar mathematical parts of the brain. It's the marriage of crossword and logic problems (outside of meta crosswords, my favorite puzzles are those classic logic-based ones with the grids or the tables; I have yet to figure out how to incorporate one into a meta puzzle, but never say never!).

Mikey G
@benchen71 did something along those lines with his Cluedo puzzle, which Ben, is still probably my favorite Meta I've done.
That was an amazing puzzle!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
TMart

Post by TMart »

Lots of engineers here. I have an electrical engineering degree and an MBA in finance. I was an investment banker for years, then built and ran a telecommunications company for about 15 years until we sold it five years ago. Which (not coincidentally) is about the time I started doing meta crosswords to keep my brain sharp. I tell people I'm not retired, I'm between opportunities :lol:, but I'm greatly enjoying the time I can spend with my two (very young) grandsons. And do more puzzles!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I have an applied math undergraduate degree. I went to grad school intending to get a PhD in Applied Mechanics but soon realized that I wasn’t enjoying what I was doing. I goofed off for a year while I was still on the university’s dime and then, hoping to avoid an actual job for as long as possible, enrolled in business school. There I was very lucky finding something that I enjoyed and was good at. Upon graduation I went to work as a financial planner in the oil industry. I rotated through various planning functions for about six years, ran an economics group for a year, and then, again through dumb luck, ended up being recruited to be a crude oil trader. This turned out to be something that I absolutely loved. I traded international oil for about two years, ran my own domestic oil trading group for another year, and then was recruited by a New York investment bank to help them start up a crude oil trading group. I stayed with the same basic group for the next 26 years, albeit through several name changes. I retired in 2012 and now live in SoCal.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 am
jhseeman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:40 am

Mikey G
That was an amazing puzzle!!
somebody post a link! sounds fun.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I have an M.Ed. in English/Education (U.Va) and taught college freshman English classes for years part time while the kids were little, have done some writing (for newspapers and an ad agency), and did one year of high school English teaching (oof! - no). Sick of grading papers, I went back for a design BFA (interior, but it was basically pre-architecture) and then —a bit too old and tired for full-on A-school— worked in arch. firms a few years to learn the trade. I now am co-owner with my husband of a residential contracting & design company, and I draw renovations, additions, and whole houses (hubby is a builder and former engineer, so I draw with his practical/structural voice in my head).
The other Wendy. :roll:
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I had a double major in college, studying both psychoogy and art. I went on to get a doctorate in psychology and became the Director of the Counseling Center at Loyola College (now University) in Baltimore, helping students find their way and solve various life problems on their journey towards growing up.

I've always enjoyed problem solving and fixing things. I developed a love of old sports cars after college and learned how to fix them to support my hobby. I also developed a strong love of antiques and took up the hobby of antiques restoration.

The president of John Carroll University, a close Jesuit friend of mine, brought me to Ohio to work for him.

About 25 years ago, Cynthia gave up her nursing career, I gave up working in the university and we decided to open a UPS Store a couple of miles from where we live in Shaker Heights. We did very well and I loved owning my own business. We specialized in shipping antiques and art (another form of "problem solving).
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ship4u wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:46 am I

I've always enjoyed problem solving and fixing things. I developed a love of old sports cars after college and learned how to fix them to support my hobby.
So, what old sports cars do you (have you) owned?

I had a couple of early 70s 240z cars. My current fun sports car is a 2008 Miata with the retractable hardtop. It is my fourth Miata and only one I bought new. If I found something I liked better, I would go for it, but nothing has popped up. I test drove a 2008 Boxster, but it didn’t drive any better than my Miata. I have always admired the Porsche cars, but can’t seem to find a way to make the cost-benefit work versus a Miata.