MGWCC #779 — "Title Role"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
dlonoff

Post by dlonoff »

woozy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:08 pm So why was the title of the puzzle "Title Role"? What does "title" have to do with anything (other than movies are identified by titles).

I saw CARRIE and thought Sissy Spacek but the rest made it obvious that we were going for The Lion King but it was somewhat confusing as only SIMBA was a title role. Why was the puzzle called "title role"?
"Title" can refer to royal title, e.g. King, Queen, Prince. So KING being a royal title, it works on that level. Also ties in with the coronation happening that weekend, I.e. Prince Charles getting his new title.
woozy

Post by woozy »

dlonoff wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:40 am
woozy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:08 pm So why was the title of the puzzle "Title Role"? What does "title" have to do with anything (other than movies are identified by titles).

I saw CARRIE and thought Sissy Spacek but the rest made it obvious that we were going for The Lion King but it was somewhat confusing as only SIMBA was a title role. Why was the puzzle called "title role"?
"Title" can refer to royal title, e.g. King, Queen, Prince. So KING being a royal title, it works on that level. Also ties in with the coronation happening that weekend, I.e. Prince Charles getting his new title.
Ah! Now that is fair and reasonable. Thank you.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.