MGWCC #779 — "Title Role"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed.
Attachments
download.jpg
woozy

Post by woozy »

There's one thing I'm not sure about whether I'm missing something or if I'm just being overly picky. (What do you guys think?) None the less I'm 100% sure I got it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed, #196, no badges there :-) I don't understand how it's even possible to submit a correct answer within the first 2 minutes!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Beamed up.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Laura M wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 pm Beamed, #196, no badges there :-) I don't understand how it's even possible to submit a correct answer within the first 2 minutes!
As a fellow guesser trying to earn that last badge, but who wasn't smart nor quick enough, this week, I had it explained to me. It's all Title & prompt/meta clue. Hesitating to verify any entry takes too long to best The Supernaturals, like e.a.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Except for Supernatural @docison, who spent his four minutes filling in the grid.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
rjy

Post by rjy »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:39 pm Beamed up. Downs only, no prompt. You don't get a badge for that, and forget about a low number on the board, but it's more interesting.
Same, tho awaiting beamage. Submitted without peeking at all, so a little nervous about my answer… no guts, no glory, right?!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:14 am
Laura M wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 pm Beamed, #196, no badges there :-) I don't understand how it's even possible to submit a correct answer within the first 2 minutes!
As a fellow guesser trying to earn that last badge, but who wasn't smart nor quick enough, this week, I had it explained to me. It's all Title & prompt/meta clue. Hesitating to verify any entry takes too long to best The Supernaturals, like e.a.
I hope this isn't a spoiler but I would think for this specific title, prompt/solution would make for such guessing to have a very high failure rate. This week, that is.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Expecting beamage shortly, the streak lives to see another week!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:50 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:14 am
I hope this isn't a spoiler but I would think for this specific title, prompt/solution would make for such guessing to have a very high failure rate. This week, that is.
I agree with my dismal chances every week. I don't expect to be successful. I liken my chances to a kid who didn't make the high school baseball team & couldn't hit a curve to save his life facing MLB starters' single pitches once a week, hoping to send one over the fence.

It ain't gonna happen. With this year's streaks & stats in tatters, I might as well try.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Awaiting confirmation that I've beamed up to the correct ship, but it's amazing what can happen when you set a meta aside and then take a fresh look.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Back from our trip and I have beamed up!
Heidi
Berto

Post by Berto »

I turned that week 1 into a week 5 by getting totally distracted by something I couldn’t take my attention away from. A lot of wasted time and mental energy - but finally saw the light!
Beamed…
docison

Post by docison »

One other tip to those trying to get that elusive 1-Across badge. Sometimes a bit of preplanning can be helpful. (And if my revealing this leads you to think less of me, so be it - we all have our issues!).

Matt sometimes posts the title and prompt on his website shortly before he releases the puzzle. A few weeks ago, he did this with the Oprah book club puzzle (776). So at 11:55 (or whatever) I saw that the prompt was an Oprah Book Club book. I immediately googled Oprah Book Club books, and found a list which I left as an open tab. I solved the puzzle (yes, I do always solve the whole thing), saw that I needed a book which represented 50 x 20000, then did a search on the Oprah book page for a million. Saw James Frey's "memoir" there and submitted. Since someone else submitted in the same minute I did, I wouldn't have had a shot if I had needed to do the search after solving. (And yeah, I probably could have submitted it anyway, but really better to check that it was in fact an Oprah selection).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, I'll be lucky to be in the top 500 on this one. Never got to it until tonight (5/7) around 11:30 or 12. Still, 500+ is as good as a higher number, as long as I can get it home. Tried to make it harder but luckily I spied something quickly in the midst of my mental calisthenics.

EDIT: Well my prediction was close, #441
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

docison wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:26 pm One other tip to those trying to get that elusive 1-Across badge. Sometimes a bit of preplanning can be helpful. (And if my revealing this leads you to think less of me, so be it - we all have our issues!).

Matt sometimes posts the title and prompt on his website shortly before he releases the puzzle. A few weeks ago, he did this with the Oprah book club puzzle (776). So at 11:55 (or whatever) I saw that the prompt was an Oprah Book Club book. I immediately googled Oprah Book Club books, and found a list which I left as an open tab. I solved the puzzle (yes, I do always solve the whole thing), saw that I needed a book which represented 50 x 20000, then did a search on the Oprah book page for a million. Saw James Frey's "memoir" there and submitted. Since someone else submitted in the same minute I did, I wouldn't have had a shot if I had needed to do the search after solving. (And yeah, I probably could have submitted it anyway, but really better to check that it was in fact an Oprah selection).
Bonus points for "memoir" being in quotes, haha.

If you're doing one of my metas and need to pre-plan, the answer is probably the CHICAGO CUBS.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230506-MGWCC 779-Title Role reveal.png
KayW

Post by KayW »

I hit a tiny detour while solving this one. I was keeping the puzzle title in mind and the first substring I noticed was

getsCARRIEdaway

and CARRIE certainly is a TITLE ROLE. But I couldn't find any others in the puzzle. Then I noticed NALA and SIMBA and got on the right track.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So why was the title of the puzzle "Title Role"? What does "title" have to do with anything (other than movies are identified by titles).

I saw CARRIE and thought Sissy Spacek but the rest made it obvious that we were going for The Lion King but it was somewhat confusing as only SIMBA was a title role. Why was the puzzle called "title role"?