I've Got The Music In Me - May 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board! Grid took longer than the meta.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

hcbirker wrote: โ†‘Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 pm I am SO mad at myself! I submitted before checking the prompt. I blame my daughter for being here distracting me. Oh well.
I think I know exactly what you did, Heidi!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Doy.

Submitted.

Yeesh.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Blew through this one. Called it easy and gave it a four.

Unfortunately I was wrong.

Back to work.
Last edited by lbray53 on Wed May 03, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My ignorance of the relevant music is vast so I had to use the Internet. A lot. Still managed to get the right answer
Last edited by Bird Lives on Wed May 03, 2023 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

The red herring guess I've been sitting on is still in the game, but I remain worried that it doesn't fit. My guess for the first mega song has been disproved, and I don't have a backup. Still no idea on the second song. Until next month...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: โ†‘Wed May 03, 2023 12:51 am The red herring guess I've been sitting on is still in the game, but I remain worried that it doesn't fit. My guess for the first mega song has been disproved, and I don't have a backup. Still no idea on the second song. Until next month...
I did have a question about the "two songs from the 70s" for the megameta; specifically are we allowed to send one in at a time, or do we need to send in both? And if the latter, what happens if one of them is wrong? Will we at least be told which one?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Count me among those who went down with the ship. Moral/Earworm: Walk Don't Run.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

interesting puzzle...fun meta.

now need to get on the mega meta.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Didnโ€™t like my initial answer, and for good reason. It was wrong. Thankfully, @Cap'n Rick helped me relive my 80โ€™s UK childhoodโ€ฆ
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Berto wrote: โ†‘Wed May 03, 2023 12:44 pm Didnโ€™t like my initial answer, and for good reason. It was wrong. Thankfully, @Cap'n Rick helped me relive my 80โ€™s UK childhoodโ€ฆ
Too bad Cap'n Rick didn't help himself by carefully reading the prompt...
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Wed May 03, 2023 8:17 am
Laura M wrote: โ†‘Wed May 03, 2023 12:51 am My guess for the first mega song has been disproved, and I don't have a backup. Still no idea on the second song.
I did have a question about the "two songs from the 70s" for the megameta; specifically are we allowed to send one in at a time, or do we need to send in both? And if the latter, what happens if one of them is wrong? Will we at least be told which one?
From https://pmxwords.com/2023-metas-mega-metas/ :
The mega-meta for 2023 consists of two songs from the โ€˜70s.

Only correct answers including both will earn credit. Separate them with a โ€œ/โ€ when submitting. Ordering doesnโ€™t matter.
I should clarify that when I said my guess was disproved, I meant that my guess at the metanism for one of the songs turned out not to be compatible with my guess for that song. For all I know, the song is right but I'm wrong in how to get it. Also, I don't know that there are separate metanisms for each song, it's possible one metanism might produce both. Basically I just came here to say that I know nothing :-)
sactonortherncal

Post by sactonortherncal »

hcbirker wrote: โ†‘Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 pm I am SO mad at myself! I submitted before checking the prompt. I blame my daughter for being here distracting me. Oh well.
Me too. Heโ€™s weeding out the ADHD crowd with this one.
pjc

Post by pjc »

This is one of those ones where I clearly had a wrong answer (according to the prompt), but couldn't figure out for the life of me what the right answer was. And then it hit me.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have been staring at the grid for a couple of days, so I was very, very happy when it suddenly opened up! Loved it!!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

Hi! Newb here. I found what I thought was relevant stuff in the grid right away, but either I'm way off or just don't know what to do with it. Staring and waiting/hoping for that aha moment.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the leaderboard thanks to a fellow muggle showing me the error of my ways. I almost submitted before taking the second step.
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Very sneaky, Pete! I wonder how many fell for his trap.

I really enjoyed this one. Grid was challenging but doable with much of the challenge coming from cleverness rather than trivia. Saw what to do for the meta quickly but needed google to finish.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, Iโ€™ll be especially delighted.)
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Done and done. Really enjoyed this one. I enjoy all of Peteโ€™s metas as I am a big music fan but for some reason this one made me smile. Great weekend everyone!
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

Finally! I was waaaay overthinking this one.