"Stuck In The Middle" April 28, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

JerryF wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:07 pm
pookie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:31 pm Ashore, Bob.
For once I started right after the puzzle was posted.
An hour and twenty minutes later I finally got it.
#2 Post by MMe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm, would you please tell me how in the world you downloaded, solved the grid and got the answer in 5 minutes?
Holy smokes, I'll never, ever, ever be able to type in the grid answers, let alone solve the meta that fast!
You and all of the page one solvers are amazing!
I've wondered the same thing. How do they finish almost before the puzzle goes out>?
Don't know if any of our super speedy muggles do this, but in the crossword world in general, people post videos of their speed solves, either recorded or live streamed. It is pretty amazing to watch.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles.

Our final count is one muggle keeping Isaac company this week getting the ship's bar ready for the oncoming Gaffney next week. And there are 254 on the shore. A good mob but short of the record of 290 on the shore set last summer.

Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:00 pm Good Sunday morning muggles

@LadyBird has good news that her grandson should be coming home from the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully with that smile that we have seen in her pictures

Our little man is back home and looking good! We dropped by their house a bit ago (dropping off DQ blizzards for mama and dada) and it was nice to see him smiling and laughing. Thanks for thinking of our little grandson, all.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Finally had some time to sit down and finish the grid. Surprisingly, I was also able to come up with the answer! Happy to say I am on shore!
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Ashore. Late but safe!
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore after a late start.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Great construction on this one - should be made into a case study / tutorial! :geek:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

I didn't even notice the matching leading/trailing fragments until after I'd solved. Multiple but straightforward steps make for an "easy" solve.
Attachments
PXL_20230428_092332171~2.jpg
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

I submitted the correct answer but I have a quibble with one of the steps...

Hey Isaac!

Q: Is Julie ok? I don't like the looks of the guy she who is talking to her.
A: Yes. He is a bit of a rogue, but she can handle herself.

Q: Do you have anything good behind the bar for me tonight?
A: How about 2 fingers of this old scotch I have been saving for you?

Q: When do you think we will get into port?
A: Not sure, I will query the captain.

Q: What is the weather like on shore?
A: Nice for the moment but they are expecting some heavy mud later this afternoon.
docison

Post by docison »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:23 pm
#2 Post by MMe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm, would you please tell me how in the world you downloaded, solved the grid and got the answer in 5 minutes?
Holy smokes, I'll never, ever, ever be able to type in the grid answers, let alone solve the meta that fast!
I've wondered the same thing. How do they finish almost before the puzzle goes out>?
Don't know if any of our super speedy muggles do this, but in the crossword world in general, people post videos of their speed solves, either recorded or live streamed. It is pretty amazing to watch.
I have never live streamed or recorded a solve - partially because I am lousy at technology, partially because it is super-hard for me to imagine that anyone would ever want to watch, and partially because I just "know" that would be the puzzle I would botch. There are a few recordings of me solving at tournaments - those tend to be somewhat harder puzzles, so I don't seem as speedy as I might on a week 1 MGWCC puzzle or an early-week NYT. I find the WSJ in-app solving interface to be really painful - I still use it because that's the only option right at 4 pm, but it definitely slows me down. I understand the "that seems fishy" reactions but will say that I always fill out every square of a puzzle before submitting a meta or posting on the board. Answering WSJ at 4:05 is super-impressive!

Adam
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

KscX wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:35 pm I had to stop browsing the forum to go check Dawes tour dates! Hope you ❤️’d it.
It was a great show! It was billed as "An Evening with Dawes", so they didn't have an opening act, but just took a short intermission break between sets. Thursday was the first of back-to-back nights at the 600-person capacity club, and they said they would be changing up the set list for people who attended both nights.
Last edited by ZooAnimalsOnWheels on Mon May 01, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Thursday; and done, Friday after just a couple of wrong turns. Enjoyed this one.

PieComic12Mod.png

TFTXWD
KscX

Post by KscX »

I kind of wanted the matching beginning and ending (ing, abra, etc) to have to be used in solving the meta. I didn’t notice it at first, but wouldn’t that have been cool to HAVE to notice it to solve the meta?!
Not a bad puzzle to use to (hopefully) get back in a groove.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

docison wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:41 pm

I have never live streamed or recorded a solve - partially because I am lousy at technology, partially because it is super-hard for me to imagine that anyone would ever want to watch, and partially because I just "know" that would be the puzzle I would botch. There are a few recordings of me solving at tournaments - those tend to be somewhat harder puzzles, so I don't seem as speedy as I might on a week 1 MGWCC puzzle or an early-week NYT. I find the WSJ in-app solving interface to be really painful - I still use it because that's the only option right at 4 pm, but it definitely slows me down. I understand the "that seems fishy" reactions but will say that I always fill out every square of a puzzle before submitting a meta or posting on the board. Answering WSJ at 4:05 is super-impressive!

Adam
The random mug awarder is apparently not super-impressed however! :lol:

The mug in our house came from the "Trick or Treat" Halloween weekend of 2021.
I personally slogged at that meta until about 10 pm Sunday night and finally gave up. I still don't get it. :roll:
However, I texted my son at college and let him know he might want to give it a shot as it looked like there would be a very low number of entrants.
He solved it by midnight, submitted at the last minute, and by early Monday morning was notified by Mike Miller!
I love that mug and some day we will fight for its custody unless I win my own!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_1bunnyspot_headinhand.png
Well, it's apparent that the XWord Rabbit has nothing to work with yet again.
Mr. Shenk's "Stuck in the Middle" puzzle wasn't enough to befuddle you Muggles
so rather than rehash the methodology needed, your Rabbit will use this space
for something different entirely: A trivia test! Ready?

MV5BOTMyOWFjNjMtODMzOC00M2UyLTg3NmItZjA2OTU4ZmExNjBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
This is your Rabbit's favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon. What is the last word spoken in it?

download.jpg
Your Rabbit's favorite comic strip character of all time was once featured in an episode of M*A*S*H. Name it.

1200x0.jpg
What is this object? Approximately when was it made and why?

service-pnp-cph-3b30000-3b38000-3b38600-3b38671r.jpg
Finally, what was built at the top of the Empire State Building but never used? Why not?

No prizes, but answers on Wednesday. Until next week, then --
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

For the record, I doubt that I could even hit the thumbs-up "like" button within 5 minutes of the opening of the contest.
JustAQuickThought
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

This is your Rabbit's favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon. What is the last word spoken in it?

More than likely "Stinker"

Your Rabbit's favorite comic strip character of all time was once featured in an episode of M*A*S*H. Name it.

Shmoo

What is this object? Approximately when was it made and why?

No idea. Going for 3 out of 4

Finally, what was built at the top of the Empire State Building but never used? Why not?

Mooring for dirigibles. Turned out to be way too windy for it to be safe.
Last edited by DBMiller on Mon May 01, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
KayW

Post by KayW »

michaelm wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:53 pm
docison wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:41 pm

Adam
The random mug awarder is apparently not super-impressed however! :lol:

The mug in our house came from the "Trick or Treat" Halloween weekend of 2021.
I personally slogged at that meta until about 10 pm Sunday night and finally gave up. I still don't get it. :roll:
However, I texted my son at college and let him know he might want to give it a shot as it looked like there would be a very low number of entrants.
He solved it by midnight, submitted at the last minute, and by early Monday morning was notified by Mike Miller!
I love that mug and some day we will fight for its custody unless I win my own!
Nice!

and hmmm.... now I'm tempted to set my alarm for 22:55 (CDT) this Sunday to submit to see if they routinely pick from the "top of the stack".
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

In response to The Xword Rabbit:

From “The Rabbit of Seville,” not to be confused with “What’s Opera,Doc,”— “Next”

Yes, that is the shmoo.

No idea, thank goodness.

Yes, the top level of the Empire State Building was built to be an airport for zeppelins. It remains one of the most beautiful buildings ever built.