"How Romantic!" - November 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
User avatar
BrianMac
Site Admin
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Location: Connecticut

"How Romantic!" - November 2019

#1

Post by BrianMac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:56 pm

November already!

The meta for this puzzle is a song from the '70s.

Enjoy and good luck!

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm

#2

Post by hcbirker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Oddly quiet in here. But I can confirm I got the Mega Meta! (Heidi)
Heidi

Jacksull
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:23 pm
Location: Scottsdale AZ

#3

Post by Jacksull » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Submitted an answer I was sure of, but I’m not on the board. Hmmm.
Jack Sullivan

User avatar
Toby
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
Location: New York City

#4

Post by Toby » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 pm

The MMMM and PGWCC both came out this afternoon, so for the first time I'm multi-mega-tasking and my head will probably explode. I should just try to do one at a time, but as I'm not seeing anything yet for either one, I keep going and forth.

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#5

Post by FrankieHeck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 pm
The MMMM and PGWCC both came out this afternoon, so for the first time I'm multi-mega-tasking and my head will probably explode. I should just try to do one at a time, but as I'm not seeing anything yet for either one, I keep going and forth.
I'm doing that, too, and I am also thinking it's a bad idea. I keep thinking that oh, I saw such-and-such a word...but it's in the other puzzle. So I think I'm going to try to focus on the MMMM for now.

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm

#6

Post by spotter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm on shore for this one. Fun Meta!

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#7

Post by KayW » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:53 pm

I got it! Clever meta, and an early solve gives me a little more time to work at the mega meta...

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#8

Post by Cindy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Solved. Now for pgwcc.

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#9

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am

Got it. Good one.

Now, finally, I believe I need to know how to get the mega meta. Surprised in a way it took me this long.

damefox
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 pm

#10

Post by damefox » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 pm

Got it! An odd combination of reasoning and Googling went into this puzzle, and in the end it turned out Google knew the answer even though I didn't. It's always a toss up if I've never heard of the answer before. (Not having been alive in the 70s may be holding me back...)

User avatar
Hector
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

#11

Post by Hector » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:35 pm

This one is really nice.

Thurman8er
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

#12

Post by Thurman8er » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm

I am exactly nowhere on this one.

damefox
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 pm

#13

Post by damefox » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I got the Mega Meta... accidentally? Literally my comment was "I suspect this is not right, but this guess is stuck in my head and I'm not going to be able to move past it until I definitively hear that it is wrong." What's it called when you backsolve but don't actually solve and submit something you don't understand? Dumb luck? If someone else who's gotten it wants to message me and explain what I missed please do.

Edit: a few people explained the mechanism to me. I get it, but it's a little underwhelming IMHO. Not the most satisfying 54A.
Last edited by damefox on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Wilson
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 pm
Location: South Williamsport, PA

#14

Post by Tom Wilson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 pm

A defensible answer - or so I thought! - but, alas, an incorrect one. I was very much "of age" in that decade, so I should know this one. Good ol' "should."

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#15

Post by Al Sisti » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Finally got the correct solution to the Mega-Meta, after yet another wrong submission, losing yet another point. I was starting to wonder if anyone's ever had a negative score for the year. This is my worst MMMM year, with misses in June, July and September. Before this, I was clean in 2017 and 2018, with my last miss being "Prime Directive" in 2016. Now the pressure's on: I need to solve the December puzzle to be eligible for the final drawing. Time for a brain adjustment...

User avatar
TMart
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:13 am

#16

Post by TMart » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Finally got the correct solution to the Mega-Meta, after yet another wrong submission, losing yet another point. I was starting to wonder if anyone's ever had a negative score for the year. This is my worst MMMM year, with misses in June, July and September. Before this, I was clean in 2017 and 2018, with my last miss being "Prime Directive" in 2016. Now the pressure's on: I need to solve the December puzzle to be eligible for the final drawing. Time for a brain adjustment...
I’m surprised I’m not negative- after a late start and two bad guesses, I said what the heck and fired a volley of 6 more guesses one night, and finally got the right answer as well as a big fat -8 to go with it. This is my first year of MMMM, so I think I may need to revise that strategy for next year.

Totally lost this week here and on the PGWCC. It’s gonna be a long week....

Laura M
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#17

Post by Laura M » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm

I think I finally got this, I was actually on the right track originally but I got to the wrong conclusion and discarded that approach for a while. Not the first time (or last, I'm sure).

I was alive in the 70s and definitely know the song, but I still needed Google because I forget stuff, or at least don't have it in easily-accessible parts of my memory...

(Checking MMMM site) Beam me up, I'm on the leaderboard! One down.

Edit: Oops, wrong puzzle for beaming up! Not sure what to say here. That's a wrap?

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm

#18

Post by hcbirker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Laura M wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm
I think I finally got this, I was actually on the right track originally but I got to the wrong conclusion and discarded that approach for a while. Not the first time (or last, I'm sure).

I was alive in the 70s and definitely know the song, but I still needed Google because I forget stuff, or at least don't have it in easily-accessible parts of my memory...

(Checking MMMM site) Beam me up, I'm on the leaderboard! One down.

Edit: Oops, wrong puzzle for beaming up! Not sure what to say here. That's a wrap?
Sounds good to me! (Heidi)
Heidi

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm

#19

Post by hcbirker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Still floundering around with this one. (Heidi)
Heidi

sharkicicles
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Location: Chicago

#20

Post by sharkicicles » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 am

damefox wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Got it! An odd combination of reasoning and Googling went into this puzzle, and in the end it turned out Google knew the answer even though I didn't. It's always a toss up if I've never heard of the answer before. (Not having been alive in the 70s may be holding me back...)
Oh crap I’m old.

Still haven’t got this one yet.

Post Reply