MGWCC #777 — Sunday, April 23rd, 2023 “It’s Integral to the Clue”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

I got it. That discord server is a magical place.
bflock

Post by bflock »

Update: finally got there thanks to a lot of helpful nudges! Thanks for the help.

So, have a potential foot hold on the puzzle, but unsure if we're on the right track or how we extract the answer if we are. Anyone willing to give a nudge or validate if we're even on the right track? Trying to keep a multi-week streak alive on this one.
Last edited by bflock on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

I'd love a gentle nudge if anyone can help? I am truly clueless this week, nothing I have chased leads anywhere interesting.
firefly

Post by firefly »

I could also use a nudge. I've stared at the puzzle for hours now, but have made no progress.
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

Thanks for the nudges!
That was hard.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up at #99, thanks to a nudge. With a Wednesday submittal, I believe I've earned my Wednesday Warrior badge, too.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
photosurrealism

Post by photosurrealism »

I could use a nudge too. I've tried a couple of things that seemed promising, but I think I'm up the wrong tree. (Got it now, I think. Turns out I was closer than I thought! Don't give up.)
Last edited by photosurrealism on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Awaiting beamage, but confident. Required a nudge, but still not without the requisite blood, sweat and tears. Fun and clever with a nice payoff

777 of these (I missed the first 500 or so...) and Matt is still creating such varied and diabolical metanisms!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With more help that I would have thought I needed (but obviously did) I am pretty sure I have beamed up. It took three nudges and a thunderbolt. but hey at least there was the thunderbolt.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I have been beamed aboard. I also needed a nudge but was closer to the right idea than I thought. Good but tricky!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The oldest trick in the book, so as a sometime constructor I'm embarrassed to have needed a nudge on this one.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DrTom wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:59 pm With more help that I would have thought I needed (but obviously did) I am pretty sure I have beamed up. It took three nudges and a thunderbolt. but hey at least there was the thunderbolt.
Beamed up at #113

Jay your book must be a better reference than mine cause I certainly don't have this trick.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

In at #108 thanks to a fellow muggle's nudge(s). Definitely not a week 5!
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

UPDATE: thanks to all for the nudges … we would never have done it alone!

Joining the chorus of those in need of a nudge … and I’m reluctant to keep asking the same few (wonderful and generous!) people for help in DMs. Is anyone out there willing to help us along?
Last edited by gpj73 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Like many others nudge required. I did get step one (or maybe .5?) though.....was fun at the end of the day. Kinds of like finishing a grueling exercise class.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

gpj73 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 pm UPDATE: thanks to all for the nudges … we would never have done it alone!

Joining the chorus of those in need of a nudge … and I’m reluctant to keep asking the same few (wonderful and generous!) people for help in DMs. Is anyone out there willing to help us along?
There are any number of folks on the board who state they are happy to give nudges. PM them and ask. Most folks will not offer "blind" nudges because they do not know how many others have responded and they do not want to either confuse the issue or spoil the AHA moment.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Thanks to a small nudge, I kept my streak going, and had some fun ahas along the way.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:21 am
gpj73 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 pm UPDATE: thanks to all for the nudges … we would never have done it alone!

There are any number of folks on the board who state they are happy to give nudges. PM them and ask. Most folks will not offer "blind" nudges because they do not know how many others have responded and they do not want to either confuse the issue or spoil the AHA moment.
Further to the good doctor's timely reminder, I will reaffirm my membership in the club of those willing to offer nudges. However, and I suspect that many of my fellow always-happy-to-help cohorts will agree, I have become somewhat jaded in my general willingness.

If, despite all earnest and determined efforts, you have absolutely no idea how to solve the puzzle, "please give me everything but the actual answer so I can retain my streak" is kinda-sorta poor form. Given a sufficient number of accommodating nudgers, we could all have streaks well into the triple digits. The growth in streak holders seems somewhat tied to the increased tolerance for "I've got nothing, but I'm on a streak" requests.

I remain delighted to sharpen a fellow puzzle lover's focus, and willing to help save the pain of the continued pursuit of a fruitless path, but I'm definitely more circumspect about whether someone is asking for a nudge, or acknowledging that the puzzle has beaten them, so could I please give them all-but-the-answer. I can't read your mind, and I prefer to presume that requests are well-intentioned. But if you're utterly, utterly stumped...

There is no shame in getting beaten by the clever Matt Gaffney, at least once in a while.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Look, if solvers are too dumb to realize you can get on the "Leaderboard" of this "Contest" by just asking someone for the answer, that's on them.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I need a nudge ASAP. Happy to share what I have
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST