"Horseplay" - October 18, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

Mike/Marie threw us a very clever construction this week that the muggles are getting at a slow but constant rate. Currently we have 18 on the ship keeping Isaac in business and 60 on the shore

And we have our two newest muggles: CallMeShane and Miki which brings our clan to 484

On the ship are
Mark L
Barry
Richard
JakeorJacob
Dr.Tom
Laura
Barbara K
Juliet
ann P
Heidi
MaineMarge
Deb F
Commodore
scooby
Julie O
Joe R
WBYonder and Gerry

Now for the shore party

The puzzle came out at 4:03 on Thursday. I opened the thread at 4:05. At 4:25 Leslie and Al both posted that they were on shore. About that time, I had printed out the grid and was working my way through it. Amazing.

Like most, I spent time in the wrong rabbit hole but more on that on Monday

So on the shore are
Leslie
Al
Steveb
Anita
Tom Wilson
spotter
LesY
Frankie
Beth T
Tina
Chris
Jazzvibist
docison
Meg
sharkicicles
Tmart
Cindy
Eric P
streroto
damefox
31 down
Bird Lives
Beth A
John B
Sean
OGuyDave
BrianM
Doug M
Fred
Toby
Tom S
Rita and George
Kay
Alan H
your humble cruise director
Janet P
Jim and Anita
Josh
ky-mike
Hector
Billkatz
Scott M
Jeanrosz
Darthdriessen
Inca
DBMille
oldjudge
Jimmyjam
Orsys
burd
Frank
Jeff S
Dave K
CallMeShane
Miki
Cynthia J
horsesense
janet
Paul D
and Domenic
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Troysail

Post by Troysail »

Good one. On shore.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Oof. Finally got it but had to start by backsolving a guess, or at least part of one. Once I did that, I realized that the technique I had been trying to use was unnecessarily limited. Brilliant construction, as everybody's saying, but this one wasn't my favorite. (Sorry, Mike, I love 99% of them!)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Issac I'm afraid you and I are going to be spending the week-end together. I know what the gimmick is I believe, and I know what I must do, but I have not got the foggiest idea of where to start doing it or how to proceed once I do because bunny trails are EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately I do not even have a guess at the character(s) name so I cannot backsolve.

I believe I'll have a cool pale ale and a slice of brisket Issac, no wait, make that a large plate of crow, or if you have any more of that humble pie left...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Solved the grid in about 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure that I know what to do but am just not sure where to start. I have even attempted to work backward from where my line of thinking takes me. For now, I shall remain on the ship drowning my sorrows. After reading all the comments, I can't wait to see how this was constructed. (If anyone feels like throwing me a bone and paying my shipborne bar tab, PM me.)
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

I usually just lurk here, read the comments, and refrain from posting—even when I come ashore.

But today, once arriving on the beach, I literally applauded IRL because I thought the meta was so clever.

Well done, Mike!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

diplomatt wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:47 pm I usually just lurk here, read the comments, and refrain from posting—even when I come ashore.

But today, once arriving on the beach, I literally applauded IRL because I thought the meta was so clever.

Well done, Mike!
We love lurkers.

We love commenters even more.

Welcome to the land of the muggles.

Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Very LAS. Going to try without the blinkers and leg wraps. Also, looks like CD Bob has me at the top of the list - so, next round is on me!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I’m afraid I’m going to have to vote this one a KAS-5. Other than the obvious rabbit hole, which others are saying goes nowhere (and after 48 hours of looking at it, I can agree), I have no clue what to do with this. A shame because it will break a very long streak.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MarkL wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 pm Very LAS. Going to try without the blinkers and leg wraps. Also, looks like CD Bob has me at the top of the list - so, next round is on me!
Being at the top of the list means only that you were early in those declaring you were on the ship. But you can still buy the next round.

This will be a KAS 4 when you see it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

This was a very hard one. Good luck to those still on the ship!
juliet

Post by juliet »

The rabbit I've been chasing finally slowed down enough for me to catch it. Once I get my breath back, I'll be heading for the beach.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

It seems obvious what the meta is. I can think of two logical places to start, but neither yields a fruitful path.

Hmmmm......
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

I'm at the same place
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Well, I finally found the channel that took me to the shore.

This was a mix of having an idea what the mechanism was and getting a bit of an answer, then getting an idea what the answer could be and seeing if that would work with the mechanism. And it did.

I can't imagine ever finding the answer if you haven't heard of the characters. Fortunately, I agree that everyone here will have heard of them, so if you're still stuck, don't give up on that basis. But it's kind of a different approach to solving and one I'm not sure I'm crazy about. Unless of course I'm missing something. Will discuss more on Monday.
alexis'mom

Post by alexis'mom »

Think it will be a nice weekend on the ship...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Hmm. I am most definitely with Isaac. I share the view of the others at the bar. So close yet so far.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made it to shore. How do Mike and Matt do it week after week?

I was stumped on both the WSJ and MGWCC. Then, within minutes, the light went on for both puzzles. Funny how that works.
Jack Sullivan
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 pm On the beach! 🏝 🍷
Mack says "Hooray & hello!"

:bear::cat:

Mack.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:48 pm
BethA wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 pm On the beach! 🏝 🍷
Mack says "Hooray & hello!"

:bear::cat:

Mack.gif
What about Mick?

I was in a media blackout for awhile. Just finished watching my recording of the game! Seems like they should have gotten a few more points! But we’ll take it!