"In Formation, Please" - December 9, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Wasn't going to get this one. I got distracted by the three formations I saw: VEE, WING, WEDGE. And then by the clue for 32A: FORMAl allegaTIONS, which sent me looking for other clues containing FORMATION.
KayW

Post by KayW »

This has been my ear worm most of the weekend
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That term was unfamiliar to me, so I almost submitted “runways” as a third step. But then reconsidered. Glad I did.
Heidi
Relic

Post by Relic »

Maybe I'm wrong but I took 8D Cartesian plane divider - axis as a nudge from Mike to consider the letters between the V points. Without that I might have not known what to do with the three formations.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

Don't think I've seen anyone mention the following:
In additon to 64A THREE and 33D VEE, I took 1A CARET as a clue as to what to do with the VEES. In proofreading, text (or punctuation) that is to be inserted is indicated by a CARET. So the text in the VEEs in the puzzle are the text we are looking for.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

This took me too long because I filled the grid from upper left to lower right, and when I did 64A as the final clue, I said "Oh, and here's the reference to 'formation'." I had totally missed the 'formation' in 33D! So I spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what formation I was looking for.

At one point, I decided that 'in formation' meant they wanted me to form new words by using the word IN. TWA, RIC, and RON, can become TWAIN, RICIN, and RONIN by adding -IN, so it was only when I went scanning the clues for some sort of tie to those words that I saw 33D, and then it all fell into place.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

PXL_20221212_001759566.jpg
In addition to the presence of three instances of 'IN' and the three small V arrangements, didja happen to notice that the names of three now-closed AIR BASES appear in the grid?

AppPEASE, MOORE, and avermENTs.
Last edited by Mister Squawk on Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

I never thought to look for"geese". What a great meta....
Gman

Post by Gman »

Hey all, apologies for posting a spoiler. I flew P-3s in the Navy and was so excited to see a term that reminded me of those days that I didn't think much about what I was posting with my ashore message. Thank you Joe and Bob for keeping watch and just taking care of it. As I've said before, this forum is a great source of connection for me away from work, and I definitely don't mean to break its norms.

Too bad Navy lost this weekend, but it was an exciting game to watch. Fly Navy! Beat Army.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

The deep rabbit hole I went down was dug by CARET, VEE and WEDGE. Turns out there are groups of three letters in the grid in all three of these shapes. I could get FEE SITE out of it and fortunately came to my senses yesterday and did not submit that. Saw these later in the day.
Attachments
E75B17A1-591B-4511-90E5-1D6B8D235C3B.jpeg
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Maybe 7D BILGE (the V-shape formed by a ship's hull) pointed to 33D VEE. I couldn't see the relevance of its clue (Twaddle) to that answer, but then I didn't consult the OED for its take.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I went down pretty much the same rabbit hole as Steroto. I know that the last and first Across clues and entries are often part of the meta, as are the centrally located ones. The last Across told us that to look for three formations. The first Across entry was CARET. The central Down entry was VEE. These are similar, except that a caret points up while a vee points down. I looked for a third and found WEDGE, which points horizontally.

I speant a long time scanning the diagonals word-search style looking for words in these three shapes but oriented up, down, and sideways.
I found GEESE soon enough, but where were the wedge and caret? Nowhere. Eventually, I found the other two geese and what they were carrying inside their vee-formations.

I thought it especially fitting that CARET turned out to be what you found in a rabbit hole.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Diagonals...why'd it have to be diagonals..
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

Chased Wedge and Caret too, never saw those damn geese right on the front lawn.

Got to say though, even if I had spotted the birds, "flight strips" is kind of obscure. Air strip, yes, but the only use of flight strip Google could find was an obscure air traffic controller term.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Didn’t think of looking for GEESE-type VEEs. Spent too long on the three small VEEs formed by three Is, Es and As and the letters (T,D and L) contained within. Tried to force fit but could only come up with Touchdown Locations which also took me down footballing terms, but it all seemed too far-fetched. Then I noticed two more 3-letter vees (Ss and Ts) pointing horizontally, so that broke the guidance of 64A. After a short but fruitless search for other formation shapes, I carefully folded the crossword into a combo of THREE VEES and gracefully glided my beautiful, yet incomplete, flying crossword into its final landing place. If it had landed with a noisy and somewhat inelegant splash on water, the link to GEESE might have ignited my dulled brain. But alas, it just fell gracefully, narrowly missing my Sunday nightcap glass by an inch, indicating it was time to throw in the towel.
Well done solvers and good luck with the mug!
One world. One planet. One future.
John77

Post by John77 »

FatJack wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 am Chased Wedge and Caret too, never saw those damn geese right on the front lawn.

Got to say though, even if I had spotted the birds, "flight strips" is kind of obscure. Air strip, yes, but the only use of flight strip Google could find was an obscure air traffic controller term.
You are quite correct.

Flight strips were printed slips of paper that air traffic controllers used to keep track of their assigned aircraft. Paper flight strips are being converted to electronic versions (see https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/tfdm/efs ). Either way, I don't think I'd want to land an airplane there.
Control tower.png
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Yeah, that's my quibble. These are flight strips:
flight strips.jpg
I did see some dictionaries show the other meaning for flight strip, so I guess someone some time must have used it that way.

But not in the real world. Airplanes land at airports, airstrips, airfields, aerodromes. I've never heard flight strip as anything other than the little strips of paper used by air traffic controllers.

Still a fun and clever puzzle.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

John77 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:29 am
FatJack wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 am Chased Wedge and Caret too, never saw those damn geese right on the front lawn.

You are quite correct.

Flight strips were printed slips of paper that air traffic controllers used to keep track of their assigned aircraft. Paper flight strips are being converted to electronic versions (see https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/tfdm/efs ). Either way, I don't think I'd want to land an airplane there.
My husband (retired USN pilot) happened to be sitting beside me when I found the metanism and asked him if he had ever heard of a flight strip. He referred to the air traffic control meaning and then went on to talk about how emergency air strips can be found alongside highways in Europe. By that time I had found this as the first definition for flight strip in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "an auxiliary or emergency landing field alongside a highway".
Sara
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

To check if “flight strips” was “a thing”,
I consulted Mr Google. This came up:: Merriam-Webster says. ”flight strip
noun: an auxiliary or emergency landing field “.

I found the three “GEE” right away but didn’t see the rest of the word to form a “vee” for quite a while. Thought it was a rabbit hole because why would Mike give such a literal hint “geese in a vee formation” in 33d?? So I was looking for other words in formation. Finally came back to the “GEE” on diagonals and spotted the “SE” to complete a vee! But still took a bit to figure which letters “IN formation” made a word for landings!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I focused on Three and Vee from the start, but I was looking for same- letter Vees formed in the grid. Thought they might spell out something, but what could be spelled out in only three letters? Then I saw the first geese and knew I was on the right track.