What's in the Box - December 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am H. C. Birker?

More like E. F. Hutton.

Muggles 10 years younger than me might scratch their heads.
So funny, Joe! And apt.

For any head scratchers, here's one of many variations on the theme.

rjy

Post by rjy »

Fortunately (?) an injury has had me on the couch most of the day, so I could devote stupid time to this. Got a nudge that confirmed some vague thing I noticed, and was able to work it from there. Wow, just wow! Destination was worth the journey… very, very cool construction. Reminded me of a brilliant Evan Birnholz puzzle from a few years back, will discuss further after this closes.
Ray
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Wow! Just saw the whole thing, and am standing back to appreciate the beauty of all the parts. Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe it. Definitely the best meta I’ve seen in a while. (And thanks to Wendy for the small nudge in the right direction!)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I am in awe, as are many other solvers. Thanks to WW for just the right hint to get me out of the unproductive rabbit holes I was in.
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

I and my kin are banging our heads against the wall on this one. I still don't even have a thread to grasp.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Someguy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:58 pm I and my kin are banging our heads against the wall on this one. I still don't even have a thread to grasp.
Preach, brother! We'll get there.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

As is typical with Pete's puzzle, I found the grid very challenging. As is also typical, with patience and perseverance, I was able to complete it. Google even confirmed that my educated guesses and assumptions were right. I think the extra time spent with the grid may have helped me see the meta without too much fuss. I tried to over-complicate the second step but not for too long.

The meta is clever and clean and elegant, but that's just what I've come to expect from MMMM.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Incredible. Thanks Pete!

And thanks to the Wendy/Heidi combo for the nudge.
Kevin
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm
Someguy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:58 pm [b]I and my kin[/b] are banging our heads against the wall on this one. I still don't even have a thread to grasp.
Wait... is this metaphorical brother, or have you been recruiting your family?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:56 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm
Someguy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:58 pm [b]I and my kin[/b] are banging our heads against the wall on this one. I still don't even have a thread to grasp.
Wait... is this metaphorical brother, or have you been recruiting your family?
Mugglephorical... Well, wait, METAphorical, yes.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

I am #45 on the board, so I don't need a hint, but I am curious as to what hints and nudges are being given.
I can't think of any "nudges" just things that I would give way ... too much (IMO)

So after the submission form is closed, please share what you considered a nudge.
Last edited by m5rammy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runart

Post by runart »

I have everything I need (at least I think I do) but can't seem to close on the answer. Could someone review what I have? Thanks!
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on the board at #15 (posting late). I also had some trouble filling in the grid. And then for a couple of hours I couldn't see anything at all. But then a loose end caught my attention, and then another, and I was off to the races. I agree that this is an exceedingly impressive construction.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am H. C. Birker?

More like E. F. Hutton.

Muggles 10 years younger than me might scratch their heads.
Mid 40s, got the reference. Still haven’t gotten the meta :)
jbird

Post by jbird »

Grid complete. 3-4 rabbit holes traversed. Taking a break and coming back after the WC games.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I've got nothing so far. I'm going to start over on paper and see if that gives me any ideas.

Update: I found out that I had made an error, an interesting one, but I'm still stuck. I'll ask someone for a tiny nudge.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Katiedid wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:55 pm I've got nothing so far. I'm going to start over on paper and see if that gives me any ideas.

Update: I found out that I had made an error, an interesting one, but I'm still stuck. I'll ask someone for a tiny nudge.
This is a very good idea and what I'd suggest to anyone else still stuck.

lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I also owe Wendy for the perfect nudge. I still had a lot of work to do. I actually am embarrassed that it took me so many hours to find this artist since I was a fan and actually painted a mural of one of his works on my dorm wall in college.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

This was an amazing meta. Thanks @Cinny for a perfect nudge.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WOW!

Possibly my favorite solve, ever. Whoa! I hated this, until I solved it.