"Consider the Alternative" October 6, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
pipster

Post by pipster »

I submitted OTHERS on Thursday and never gave it a second thought. The additional play of the proper length didn’t sit right, but the fact that the first letters anagrammed to such a fitting word was evidence enough for me.

I’ve been stumped by a few metas recently, but this is the first time in a long time where I was just flat wrong.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:05 am Almost always the letters composing the answer will be found in grid order.
And when they're not in grid order, they're in clue order.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bonnibel wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:16 am
Note: In the Shakespeare category, there are actually 3 possible alternate answers: TEMPEST, OTHELLO, and HENRY IV. Of course one is a comedy, one a history, and one a tragedy, but all are considered plays. And it could be said that TEMPEST is actually THE TEMPEST.
Yes, THE Tempest -- sort of like Ohio State. But the title HENRY IV never ends there, not in staged productions, not in printed editions. There's always a "Part I" or "Part II" appended.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:04 am
oldjudge wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:05 am Almost always the letters composing the answer will be found in grid order.
Lesson: Beware anagramming unless clued or directed to do so.
chart

Post by chart »

MMe wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:31 am The "real" titles of especially Macbeth and Othello are iffy, but there is no doubt that the titles standard today are as needed for the meta to work.
Yes, I tend to follow the pattern set forth in the puzzle. ABELINCOLN or GERALDFORD or GEORGEBUSH are other US presidents, but the puzzle used just the last name WASHINGTON. The Tragedy of Macbeth used the common name MACBETH in the puzzle, so it made sense that the Tragedy of Othello would just be OTHELLO.

No one has pointed out that the official name of Rhode Island is "The State of Rhode Island." :lol:
chart

Post by chart »

Colin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:27 am Great meta! Being an engineer got me stuck on the sandbar again :roll: I went straight to the numbers: Eisenhower 34th president, Saturday 6th (or 7th) day of week, October 10th month, Othello 20-somethingth play, Connecticut 2nd NE state and Harvard 1st Ivy League school. The letters in those numbered squares spelt gobbledygook, but that didn’t stop me trying to make it work all weekend! If at first you don’t succeed; try, try, try, try, try, the same thing again! Right? :)
I had CT as the first NE state, which gave me a lot of "ones" (Washington, Connecticut, Harvard, January, and almost Henry VI).

The only states in the union before CT were DE PA NJ GA.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

whimsy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:20 am
escapeartist wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:03 am My first thought was to find alternates in the grid with one letter switched:
TRIAL - APRIL
ABLY - YALE
ASYET - HAYES
THURSDAY - SATURDAY

Me too!. But I had LAYSTO = TAYLOR.
And, of course, I so wanted to fudge ERODE ISLAM for Rhode Island! :lol:
Me three!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

boharr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:20 am
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:04 am
Lesson: Beware anagramming unless clued or directed to do so.
Except when you're required to anagram because the only rule of Club Team is that there are no rules of Meta Club.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My initial rabbit hole was to abbreviate the theme words as an "alternative," then matching them to grid entries. THUD would substitute for THUR and JON for JAN ... and then my grand scheme devolved into a big ol' pile of nada. Thankfully, I got my bearings after a long walk in fall's grandeur. Nothing like fresh air to prompt a fresh look!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Well, at least I was on the right path on Thursday night before we left to visit daughter, SIL and granddaughter. I even wanted to bring some of those three-letter words into the metanism, but I was using only the alternative words (RI + O = 64D RIO). It never occurred to me to use the first letter of the answer and its alternate. This photo shows my notes on the back of the completed puzzle that I printed out that evening. I'd like to believe that I would have figured it out eventually if I'd stuck with it, but it was may more fun to play with the birthday girl and her American Girl dolls!!
WSJCC 22.10.07.jpg
Sara
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

I ultimately made the correct submission, but an alternate answer that I came up with involved reviewing all of the six-letter grid answers and seeing if an alternative answer could be applied to one of those. The one that seemed obvious was 35D "Get Out" genre. The grid answer SATIRE was not my first instinct, I wanted to submit as HORROR, so this seemed like it could have worked as a puzzle answer.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

The high number of 3 letter answers was the first think that looked peculiar. The possibility of changing Thursday to Saturday was the first alternative i considered which led me to TSO. The first two meta answers i had considered at the onset were EITHER or OPTION, so the O from TSO looked wortwhile. When I switched January to October things looked good with the letter N. Mr Google helped with the rest. Finally a fully logical MS (at least to me) in a while
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

chart wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:25 am ...

No one has pointed out that the official name of Rhode Island is "The State of Rhode Island." :lol:
...Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, prior to November 2020.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rhode-isla ... -election/

The joke was always such a huge name for a tiny state --
Capturefavewelcometori.PNG
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

I was able to get it with Muggle Zoom call Nudges. Thank you friends! Now onto today's Monday puzzle...
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

While we're speaking of the various rabbit holes, many of which I spent time in over the weekend, I also gave thought to the other long grid answers that were not used and thought somehow those were in play as alternatives, since crosswords are always symmetrical. I even thought about turning the grid upside down!

I knew instinctively that a simple anagram was not going to cut it, but it was the only thing I could come up with without asking for help. Again, congrats to those who found the path to OPTION.
🌴🍹
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Egad! Not even close. I gave the other items of the same length that fit a try but all I could see was nonsense.

My very deep rabbit hole:

I tried to find logical next items in a series.
Washington—> Adams
Thursday—> Friday
January—> February
Macbeth—> Othello (next most recent tragedy)
Connecticut—> Rhode Island (next smallest state)
Cornell—> Dartmouth (next youngest Ivy)

Result was *afford* Admittedly, no relationship to the title, but at least it was a real word. And ESOORH wasn’t.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

I'm with the OTHERS.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

i had "others" initially. It was 95% for me. I didn't like (the) TEMPEST and i didn't like the anagrams. I felt i needed to go back to the grid. I was nudged out of the OTHERS hole, was easily persuaded that it was wrong, and that Tempest wasn't it. I consistently skipped OTHELLO as i counted 8 letters for some weird reason.

Once at OTHELLO, i should have quickly gotten it, but a Vertical nudge brought me home.

I see the controversy. I was there. But i am with MG and the OPTION traders on this one.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I had a meandering path to the shore this week. I first stopped at OTHER atoll, but the anagramming required really put me off that as a valid solution. Not to mention "(the)" TEMPEST. My second stop was CHOOSE sandbar, but that also seemed unlikely. I finally saw the beacon from the OPTION lighthouse and made my way to the beach.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nowhere even close. I'm going to blame smallscreenitis and French food as the culprits. I had considered for a moment the length of the word but there seemed to be nothing that pushed me to that. I spent a LOT of time trying to make the one clue that offered an "Alternative" work (1 or 11 in 21). I was soooo sure that, given WASHINGTON and JANUARY were both #1s, there was some way to finagle the others.

So this was definitely a KAS 5 for me - my admiration for, and congratulations to, those who cracked this. If I was rating it I think I'd say at lest 3.5 or higher, but that is just me and we know I cannot rate difficulty (try this week's MEOW and see what I mean!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!