"I Really Don't Need This!" - September 13, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On shore. I had to google the unknown (to me) "celebrity". :D
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore. Another very clever puzzle
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

Some here, and I'd heard of Margaret Cho and Yma Sumac, even if spellcheck never has.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore, but I have to believe that there is a more elegant solution method than the one I used.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I've deduced what the answer must be based on general knowledge, but am now working backwards to see what the solve mechanism is supposed to be...
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Actual HH at Six Ten Brewery interrupted the usual Thursday afternoon ritual but enlightenment occurred with the dawn! Ashore enjoying the sunrise.

Here's to a safe weekend to all on the East Coast as Humberto looks to follow Dorian's adventure.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Thanks Matt- I really did need this early morning solve. The answer is a 100%er. Unless Gibberish is a new rap celebrity. Loved both grid and meta. Off to shore now- looks like there’s some some landscaping needed there too. Would someone else host the stern garden Bingo! Game tonight please? Isaac will cater as usual.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍹 With a pomegranate margarita!

Was in such a rush that I tried to over complicate it at first, but then saw that I really didn’t need to...

Chuckled that “crammed” was squeezed into the 27A clue! Squeeze Play! 😀
I still like the "bumblebee" jersey
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

For those of you who enjoyed the mechanism involved in this week's puzzle, I highly recommend the "variety" puzzles that often appear in the Review section of the Saturday WSJ.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore 100% - amazing meta as always! And like many others, zipping my lip til Monday to avoid spoilers :|
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore after a few rabbit holes. Had to confirm w Mr G. Fun and incredibly clever puzzle and meta.
Miki

Post by Miki »

b_burd@yahoo.com wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 am On shore. I had to google the unknown (to me) "celebrity". :D

Following this group for years, the first thing I said when I solved the Meta is "Oh-uh". MG will not hear the end of this one.
My husband only learned about this celebrity this summer, with the rest of the comment a potential spoiler... :lol:
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Isaac,

Save me a stool. We have to stop meeting like this.
Rufus T. Firefly
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On the shore!

I'll have a Smiling Irish Bastard, please.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Solved the grid, not seeing the Meta... Been doing these for a few months and finally made the jump to make the account here!
ALS

Post by ALS »

Loved this one.

Ashore.

ALS
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 am
BethA wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍹 With a pomegranate margarita!

Was in such a rush that I tried to over complicate it at first, but then saw that I really didn’t need to...

Chuckled that “crammed” was squeezed into the 27A clue! Squeeze Play! 😀
I still like the "bumblebee" jersey
Thanks! Maybe they’ll do better this week!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 am For those of you who enjoyed the mechanism involved in this week's puzzle, I highly recommend the "variety" puzzles that often appear in the Review section of the Saturday WSJ.
Ever since the Mexican train one a couple of months ago, I’ve been trying the Saturday variety puzzles. It’s great that you can solve an acrostic online, eliminating the tedious transcription part of doing those! And I seem to be able to manage the rose garden and similar types OK. But after several Cox/Rathvon puzzles remained mostly blank, and there was one where I finally decided to look at the solution, and the few words I had were wrong, well those have me stymied! But I really do enjoy the variety of having different types of puzzles to work on!

Once I started doing meta crosswords, regular crosswords seemed a little humdrum. Adding the variety puzzles spices things up!
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

Onshore! Another clever and fun meta. Thank you, Mr. Gaffney!

Enjoy the weekend, all!