"Power Trips" - July 15, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

So sorry. I should not have said anything. Will keep my observations to myself in future. I agree we have a wonderful community and I am proud and happy to be a part of it. Would never deliberately do anything to damage that.

Stay well all
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Joe, I will apologize. My intent on including the quotes was not to cause a stir by any means. I was just presenting facts, not trying to make a personal attack.
Abide

Post by Abide »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:04 pm This was sent to my husband and he shared it with me. I thought that it probably sums up the attitude of most Muggles as well:

Sir Winston Churchill's vocabulary and command of the English language was unparalleled.(He won the Nobel prize in literature in 1953).

He was once asked about his position on whisky. Here's how he answered
Actually the famous “whiskey speech” was written and delivered by a Mississippi judge/legislator (Noah “Soggy” Sweat). Learned about it in law school.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_S._Sweat
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Abide wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:32 pm
SewYoung wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:04 pm This was sent to my husband and he shared it with me. I thought that it probably sums up the attitude of most Muggles as well:

Sir Winston Churchill's vocabulary and command of the English language was unparalleled.(He won the Nobel prize in literature in 1953).

Actually the famous “whiskey speech” was written and delivered by a Mississippi judge/legislator (Noah “Soggy” Sweat). Learned about it in law school.

Thanks for the correction. It came to me and I took his word for it. I apologize for spreading misinformation.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:31 pm
Abide wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:32 pm

Thanks for the correction. It came to me and I took his word for it. I apologize for spreading misinformation.
No worries Lisa! Still a great quote, no matter the source!
Heidi
hoover

Post by hoover »

Now that all the politics is/are out of the way, can someone explain all the chuckles of the early solvers as they posted their on-shore status? I didn't find the meta answer all that funny, but I'm probably missing some context. Either that, or people stopped at the across answers and submitted THE LICE, which is a more recent trio...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Probably due to songs like "don't stand so close to me" or "message in a bottle".

Or could be Roxanne, the best drinking song of all time.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

hoover wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:43 pm Now that all the politics is/are out of the way, can someone explain all the chuckles of the early solvers as they posted their on-shore status? I didn't find the meta answer all that funny, but I'm probably missing some context. Either that, or people stopped at the across answers and submitted THE LICE, which is a more recent trio...
Good point. I saw those comments, too, and subconsciously factored humor into my meta solving. It turned out to be a bit misleading, to be honest.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

hoover wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:43 pm Now that all the politics is/are out of the way, can someone explain all the chuckles of the early solvers as they posted their on-shore status? I didn't find the meta answer all that funny, but I'm probably missing some context. Either that, or people stopped at the across answers and submitted THE LICE, which is a more recent trio...
Did you solve the MMMM this month?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Schmeel wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am
Oh, is that all. That makes sense, I guess.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It’s the same answer as last week’s MMMM meta
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:54 am
Off-topic, but Hold 'em players should take a look at the NYT Sunday crossword. Great construction.
that thing was 90% of the way toward being a meta, right down to the use of the lower-right grid entry as a hint toward what was happening.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Yikes! I am sorry I (out of curiosity) wandered over...

Thank you SO much to all the mods here! Each and every one of you does a fabulous job maintaining the decorum of our community.

I am most appreciative of having a forum where my personal political opinion is irrelevant to the import of the discussion. And, actually, I think everyone on this board is amazing!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Janet P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:54 am Yikes! I am sorry I (out of curiosity) wandered over...

Thank you SO much to all the mods here! Each and every one of you does a fabulous job maintaining the decorum of our community.

I am most appreciative of having a forum where my personal political opinion is irrelevant to the import of the discussion. And, actually, I think everyone on this board is amazing!
Ditto!

It is so enjoyable to listen in or take part in conversations about Barred Owls and books, commas and cocktails, families and frolics, music and mishaps (could have said metas but that seems a given!), puns and poems, projects and perambulations. Okay--I'll stop before I go through an entire alphabet of topics ;)
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:59 pm Probably due to songs like "don't stand so close to me" or "message in a bottle".

Or could be Roxanne, the best drinking song of all time.
When I hear Roxanne now, Eddie Murphy singing it in 48 Hours always pops into my head.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

This is a cover of Sting, not The Police, but I love her version.

hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

flyingMoose wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:05 pm This is a cover of Sting, not The Police, but I love her version.

Beautiful!
Heidi
hoover

Post by hoover »

LadyBird wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:27 pm
Janet P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:54 am Yikes! I am sorry I (out of curiosity) wandered over...

Ditto!

It is so enjoyable to listen in or take part in conversations about Barred Owls and books, commas and cocktails, families and frolics, music and mishaps (could have said metas but that seems a given!), puns and poems, projects and perambulations. Okay--I'll stop before I go through an entire alphabet of topics ;)
Wait wait, now we're barring owls?! Whatever did they do to get themselves barred from the muggle forums????
hoover

Post by hoover »

Schmeel wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am
I did not. I stopped attempting the MMMM, the Muggle Monday, the MOAT, the Benchen Wednesday, and all the other non-WSJ metas when I started my new dream job in January. :D :D :D
Gman

Post by Gman »

hoover wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:18 am
LadyBird wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:27 pm

Ditto!

Wait wait, now we're barring owls?! Whatever did they do to get themselves barred from the muggle forums????
Do I need to change my Avatar?!?! :shock: :roll: :D