"Squeeze Play" - September 6, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BethA wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:48 am On the beach!!! Had a "doh" rather than "aha" moment this morning, after switching to a totally different approach.

Dredged up a 7-year-old pic for my avatar to support the team for tomorrow night's game, (Bob) !! :-)
A win over the Pats would be a great way to start the season.(BTW, the resemblance to Polamolu is uncanny. All you need to do is let your hair grow out a little.)
Jay
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

I'm on shore, but probably on the wrong island. Which brings me to the expression of having a 'wild hare' (aka. 'wild hair' or in some circles, even 'wild Herr') roaming around; I will not finish the phrase in the usual way. You see, I had this idea and it sort of worked and it yielded a 4-letter verb that has nothing to do with either 'wild' or '(insert one of three nouns here),' both of which have four letters but neither of which is a verb. I am babbling, but it's a nice puzzle (non sequitur alert).
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 am
BethA wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:48 am On the beach!!! Had a "doh" rather than "aha" moment this morning, after switching to a totally different approach.

Dredged up a 7-year-old pic for my avatar to support the team for tomorrow night's game, (Bob) !! :-)
Beth
Where did you go astray? I am crushed beyond belief. LOL

Hopefully it will be a good game.
Yes, hoping for a good game! “Going astray” must go way back to Terry Bradshaw!
ericharrison1969

Post by ericharrison1969 »

Yeah, just got it ..... that is NOT a 100%er, but it is a 99%er. In my humble opinion, the answer could have been a little more solid ......
ericharrison1969

Post by ericharrison1969 »

Instead of “solid,” I should have said “satisfying.”
KayW

Post by KayW »

Natalie wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 am I'm on shore, but probably on the wrong island. Which brings me to the expression of having a 'wild hare' (aka. 'wild hair' or in some circles, even 'wild Herr') roaming around; I will not finish the phrase in the usual way. You see, I had this idea and it sort of worked and it yielded a 4-letter verb that has nothing to do with either 'wild' or '(insert one of three nouns here),' both of which have four letters but neither of which is a verb. I am babbling, but it's a nice puzzle (non sequitur alert).
I never heard of that expression and had to google to learn the rest. Thank you for expanding my repertoire of idioms ;) It is quite appropriate for some of the rabbit holes I find myself stubbornly digging.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning Muggle. I hope everyone survived Dorian in good shape.

And we welcome our two newest muggles: slurmin8or on the blog and Ryan Landers on the WSJ web site.

We have 12 on the ship and 53 on the shore with this challenging puzzle from Mike Shenk

Our shipboard crew includes
Joe R
Frankie
Tom S
MaineMarge
slurmin8or
Joah
Kay
Peter L
Jim and Anita
Inca
Deb F
and Susan G

On the shore, hopefully, are
Leslie
Les Y
Hector
Al
Heidi
darthdriessen
Mike H
Chris
Bird Lives
Tmart
Fred
Wendy
Gerry
joequavis
Anita
Laura M
Beth T
docison
steveb
BrianMac
31 Down
damefox
jimmyjam
streroto
Julie O
Andrew B
Jean Rosz
oldjudge
Bill K
Moi
Eric P
tim1217
Juliet
Ryan L
scooby
Mark L
Cynthia J
Glenn G
Tina
Darryl
Meg
Cindy
DBMiller
martimeryard
Barbara K
ky-mike
Jeff S
Janet P
Beth A
Eric H
Bill T
and Paul

It will be interesting to see if we (or how many of us) are pageanted
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Also batting .500 looking for a fastball across the middle..
Noneedforaname

Post by Noneedforaname »

I think I’m ashore!? 90+% sure 😃
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I just whiffed at this curve ball from Mike Shenk.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

FrankH wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:21 pm I just whiffed at this curve ball from Mike Shenk.
perhaps he has applied a foreign substance to the ball?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SueJ

Post by SueJ »

On the ship... been down a couple of rabbit holes, one answer I have seems way too easy so will take another look later. Go Blue. Go Sox. Go Pats.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Went down a few empty rabbit holes before finding the right one. I wouldn't double down or bet the farm on this one, but I think I'm done and done.
Heading to Punta Mita soon for some much needed R&R, so I'm not sure I'll have an opportunity to do next week's puzzle. Best of luck to all the Muggles out there.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

When this puzzle came out on Thursday, I was too high (no, no ... in the mountains, silly 😜) to download it. That night, I did pick it up and work it, but I didn’t get much time to think about the meta. Yesterday, I did look at the meta and immediately wandered down a series of rabbit holes (that I think have to be intentional), so I put it aside until today and ... tada! ... instantly saw what I needed to see. So I’ve washed away all the sweat from my mountain climb by swimming ashore. Nice one ... 😜.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:55 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 am Heading into town to see Bob's baseball team lose to the Yankees.

Hope to see Isaac at Eastern Standard, as I am no where near the beach and donning rain gear for the game.

Hoping for the best to those suffering from gray Dorian.
Tom
Make sure you wear your Yankee jersey so you can get it washed in beer

Games like this are great as you get all the students from the surrounding colleges that come from Boston and NY at the games. I hope you do not have sensitive ears as the crowds can get pretty rowdy.
No beer rinse, but the outcome was not as hoped for. Note that your fair weather Carmine Hose fans seem to have moved on from this season. The paaahk (sic) was crawling with intertwined NY's. Going again on Sunday. Got cheap tickets due to some football team playing that night also. You may have heard of them. If you have a chance between commercials (I assume you are not going to be at foxboro), look for the guy in the Hawaiian shirt in the second row behind the Yankees dugout.

Neighbor's wedding is in an hour, so doubt I'll get off of Isaac's barstool, but it is moving around New England this weekend.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:02 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:55 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 am Heading into town to see Bob's baseball team lose to the Yankees.

Hope to see Isaac at Eastern Standard, as I am no where near the beach and donning rain gear for the game.

Hoping for the best to those suffering from gray Dorian.
Tom
Make sure you wear your Yankee jersey so you can get it washed in beer

Games like this are great as you get all the students from the surrounding colleges that come from Boston and NY at the games. I hope you do not have sensitive ears as the crowds can get pretty rowdy.
No beer rinse, but the outcome was not as hoped for. Note that your fair weather Carmine Hose fans seem to have moved on from this season. The paaahk (sic) was crawling with intertwined NY's. Going again on Sunday. Got cheap tickets due to some football team playing that night also. You may have heard of them. If you have a chance between commercials (I assume you are not going to be at foxboro), look for the guy in the Hawaiian shirt in the second row behind the Yankees dugout.

Neighbor's wedding is in an hour, so doubt I'll get off of Isaac's barstool, but it is moving around New England this weekend.
I will have the remote at the ready to flip back and forth.

The Pats have had priority over the Sox for the last 20 years
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

There were enough red herrings, rabbit holes, and hidden ball tricks (straining to work a baseball metaphor in there) to keep my overworked brain busy and distracted. Throw in a taxing work week and I thought I’d never get there.

While napping with the Clemson-A&M game playing on the TV, my phone blew up with texts from Dom. He didn’t have any answers, just a few stray thoughts, so I awoke from my slumber and looked at it. Half of step 2 just popped out; I shared that with Dom. He responded with the answer (although I had to correct his method - no spoilers, so not going to say much more, other than that he got the right answer while taking the wrong route).

We are now both on shore, feeling 100% certain that we have the correct answer. Not sure our baseball teams (Phillies and Indians) have the answer this year though. Football (Clemson, Browns, and Eagles) is looking more promising.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

pddigi wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:09 pm There were enough red herrings, rabbit holes, and hidden ball tricks (straining to work a baseball metaphor in there) to keep my overworked brain busy and distracted. Throw in a taxing work week and I thought I’d never get there.

While napping with the Clemson-A&M game playing on the TV, my phone blew up with texts from Dom. He didn’t have any answers, just a few stray thoughts, so I awoke from my slumber and looked at it. Half of step 2 just popped out; I shared that with Dom. He responded with the answer (although I had to correct his method - no spoilers, so not going to say much more, other than that he got the right answer while taking the wrong route).

We are now both on shore, feeling 100% certain that we have the correct answer. Not sure our baseball teams (Phillies and Indians) have the answer this year though. Football (Clemson, Browns, and Eagles) is looking more promising.
Are your Browns going to be a boom or a bust this year. Between Mayfield and OBJ, it looks like they have potential but.....
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:43 pm
perhaps he has applied a foreign substance to the ball?
One of my favorite lines from Tim McCarver when the other announcer used that phrase. " 'Foreign substance'?? He doesn't get it from China."
Jay
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:45 pm Are your Browns going to be a boom or a bust this year. Between Mayfield and OBJ, it looks like they have potential but.....
I’m a Browns’ fan through marriage but an Eagles fan by DNA. So while my emotional investment in the Eagles runs deeper, I sure hope the Browns have a good season. They won’t be going to the Super Bowl (Chiefs, Pats, and Chargers are the top 3, I think), but a division title isn’t out of the question. An Eagles-Browns Super Bowl would be epic, although my wife and I would have to watch from separate states!