"Alternate Version" - June 24, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Berto

Post by Berto »

JRS51 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:54 pm
mikeB wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:35 pm
DBMiller wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:57 am I always have to remember from school days that the ones coming from the Ceiling are stalaCtites while.the one coming from the Ground are stalaGmites. C for ceiling, g for ground.
Around 60 years ago, we visited the Oregon Caves, where a docent explained how to remember which is which:

A stalactite has to hold on tight or it might become a stalagmite.
A stalagmite would have been a stalactite if it had held on a might tighter.
Our guide in Carlsbad Caverns quite a few years ago used a similar, more succinct phrase:
Stalactites stick tight (ie, to the ceiling)
Stalagmites might (reach the ceiling some day)
Not sure where I heard this (an episode of Are You Being Served? Or maybe I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue…) but did anyone else learn “mites go up, tites come down”?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Berto wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:39 pm

Around 60 years ago, we visited the Oregon Caves, where a docent explained how to remember which is which:

Our guide in Carlsbad Caverns quite a few years ago used a similar, more succinct phrase:
Not sure where I heard this (an episode of Are You Being Served? Or maybe I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue…) but did anyone else learn “mites go up, tites come down”?
I heard that stalactites look like tights hanging from the clothesline. I, too was misspelling it and that caused consternation until I was guided to the correct spelling on the Friday group solve zoom.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Ceiling >> C >> Stala_c_tites
Ground >> G >> Stala_g_mites
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

I had the first half but whoa....that second part is still a stretch even after reading how it works. Congrats to the solvers.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Berto wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:39 pm

Well I head it...but I am fairly sure the context was VERY different. In mine it had to do with lice.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

MajordomoTom wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:22 am Ceiling >> C >> Stala_c_tites
Better than the mnemonic I heard: A Stalagmite might fall.

You know, I should start a collection of useless mnemonics... those that are just wrong, those that are for things that don't need mnemonics (Never Eat Soggy Waffles... um, what's wrong with .... North East South West?) Mnemonics that are ambiguous (Beer before liquor never been sicker... or is it Beer after liquor), or mnemonics that are harder to remember than what they represent (Camels often sit down mighty painfully. Perhaps their joints creak. Perhaps early oiling might prevent permanently hazardous aging. Well Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist— and I really believe he is Antichrist—I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my 'faithful slave', as you call yourself! But how are you? I see I have frightened you—sit down and tell me all the news..etc. etc. etc.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:34 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:22 am Ceiling >> C >> Stala_c_tites
Better than the mnemonic I heard: A Stalagmite might fall.

You know, I should start a collection of useless mnemonics... those that are just wrong, those that are for things that don't need mnemonics (Never Eat Soggy Waffles... um, what's wrong with .... North East South West?) Mnemonics that are ambiguous (Beer before liquor never been sicker... or is it Beer after liquor), or mnemonics that are harder to remember than what they represent (Camels often sit down mighty painfully. Perhaps their joints creak. Perhaps early oiling might prevent permanently hazardous aging. Well Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist— and I really believe he is Antichrist—I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my 'faithful slave', as you call yourself! But how are you? I see I have frightened you—sit down and tell me all the news..etc. etc. etc.)
Don't forget "Starve a cold feed a fever" (not a mnemonic per se but a useless adage) and "Scared lovers try positions they cannot handle". (@DrTom may know and or correct those.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:10 am

Don't forget ...and "Scared lovers try positions they cannot handle". (@DrTom may know and or correct those.)
Timid virgins make dull company. Add whiskey.

and

Even red nuns drink from odd green cans.

(And "Big Chief Sahcahtoa".... just exactly *why* is "Sahcahtoa" supposed to be an easy to remember name to say and to spell "correctly"?... still it's exceedingly popular even though it never worked for me.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DBMiller wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:57 am I always have to remember from school days that the ones coming from the Ceiling are stalaCtites while.the one coming from the Ground are stalaGmites. C for ceiling, g for ground.

I spent a few minutes this morning trying to chase down one of my favorite Far Side cartoons. We see a caveman holding his head, saying "Ow, dang! Thag hit head on... what you call those ones that hang down?" Couldn't find it, but I think I got the words pretty much right.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Quick, stress-free swim for once. On the beach this week (literally and figuratively!). Have a great Fourth everyone! Happy birthday, America!