"Alternate Version" - June 24, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

I am ashore! I really liked this one; it was tricky but fun. Didn't really start working on it until today after going to see my eldest granddaughter in Dallas with her family. She's working this summer as a camp counselor for an organization that brings camp to the kids at various churches around Texas. It must be hard work. She had the look of the mom of a newborn that isn't sleeping. Thanks, Mr. Berry, for a clever and enjoyable puzzle!
Last edited by katnahat on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kathie
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:04 pm I'm counting myself on shore and have submitted, though I'm sure there's something that I'm missing.

Nice puzzle by Patrick!
Nice job on getting this by the second page, and getting it out of the way before we had to head to Aiken! Fun to find out you work these too.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Good heavens! My brain is mush and my notes and scribbles are voluminous, but I got it! Never any rabbit holes, but a couple of mistakes along the way. It is a nice one.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

OMG. I have finally reached the shore. I am quite proud of myself this week for not reaching out for a nudge (which I usually would have done by this time) I'm hot and sweaty, and ready for a cold libation and a glimpse of the cabana boy, if he hasn't already left for the day!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Count me ashore. Very tricky one if you approach it the way I did. Finally saw the correct approach and made quick work of it.
Great puzzle
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach.

A weirdly easy swim. Many weeks the meta involves a lot of dead ends, but every so often, each step just feels so intuitive.

:::shrug:::
pookie

Post by pookie »

ON SHORE! Finally.
I really thought I knew how to spell. Apparently not that word.
But I do now!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Finally ashore!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore!!
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

Finally on shore after making things way too complicated all weekend!
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore with a little help from a friend!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am ashore thanks to a quick and much-appreciated Zoom tow from Heidi and Wendy! As many others have said, I was 7/8 there and only gibberish. But all is clear now. No mug submittal this week.
femullen

Post by femullen »

We've got ashore and left a tip
For Isaac and the crew.
We might be still aboard the ship
If not for Ship-4-u.
~~~
I've had three days in Montréal.
The Smarter Half is great.
Not sure of getting home at all:
The aircraft's running late.

Smarter Half and I made a small error, achieved mental block, and got stuck 3/4 of the way through step 3. Ship4u buoyed the channel and got us past the bar.

It must be close to time to go,
Although we're running late,
And so adieu, Pierre Trudeau,
The plane is at the gate.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore! Mostly finished the grid on Thursday but didn’t have a chance to work on the meta until today. Thankfully my struggles with the grid helped me. Nice way to end a nice weekend!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening. Our final count for the week is 8 on the ship and 218 on the shore.

Good luck and I hope that a muggle wins the mug.

have a good week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

I just got home from a wedding and have dug myself a hole. I could really use a nudge to Help me get over the finish line. Please send help!
ZitaBriar

Post by ZitaBriar »

Same here: I'm past the submission deadline but I'm so close to shore that I'm gonna ask for a nudge anyway!
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:18 pm I am ashore thanks to a quick and much-appreciated Zoom tow from Heidi and Wendy! As many others have said, I was 7/8 there and only gibberish. But all is clear now. No mug submittal this week.
Also 7/8 until Wendy helped me! Similarly not submitting.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Just got home from a LOOOOOOOOOONG weekend (separate story) where everything broke. Thankfully, for the puzzle, I am finishing Doug Flutie-style. I am ashore.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I was sure I had it all figured it, but ended up with nonsense. Asked someone to look at what I had - oops, I had transposed one part of the steps for another - twice! That's what happens when you try and rush through things doing this last minute.

ASHORE!!!