"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore, after finally having a free moment this weekend to look at the meta.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Well, now it is midnight in Tadoussac.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC Think of a Number reveal.png
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

This was the first time since I started the Friday Contests that the meta helped me solve the grid! :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Just noted our newest esteemed member - crossword constructor par excellence Evan Birnholz. Rarified company! What am I doing here???
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

katnahat wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:42 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:37 am I'm in my favorite grocery store the other day and there was this lovely display of herbs; "Nothing beats herbs fresh cut for your cooking" the sign proclaimed. "Put in a sunny place and water every few days for a continual supply of cooking goodness"

So, I buy them, select a sunny place on the porch away from grazing cats, water and wait for the promised bounty.....5 days later:

thyme.JPG

A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
Um, was it like that when you bought it or did it take five days for you to kill it? I've had no luck with herbs inside or even on a porch. Mine like direct sun at least part of the day and enough water to stay damp. At least this experience gave you some good fodder for puns. Don't give up, Tom!
No, it was a slow and painful death over 5 days....is that herbicide?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

My tale of woe...

I figured that I had this one nailed:
My Grid.JPG
So "Think of a number" and "between"...

OK, five ONEs and four TENs = FIVE AND FORTY = 12 letters. I probably would have submitted but I have had such trouble with "inference" answers that I thought "better check". So I "phoned a friend" and they said "disregard the vertical ONE. Of course the minute I did that it became patently obvious (1) what the answer was (2) that I was again way too sure of my powers of deduction. I did not submit of course, but if I had I might have argued for FIVE AND FORTY :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Deb F wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:40 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 pm The first of the photos from today's amazing Muggle Meet-up at The Whip Tavern are trickling in ... more to come. Here are Cynthia, Don, and Chris!
Oh wow. A very favorite spot of mine. Hope someone had the Welsh Rarebit!!! 🐰 Sorry I missed it!
@cbarbee002 recommended the Welsh Rarebit, which we never had prior to then(despite our many trips to the UK). He ordered some for all of us to share. It was fantastic! A great time was had by all!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

5 "one's", 4 "ten's" so I figured TEN TO ONE ODDS (odd number of 'one's"). Oh well.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I saw "think of a number" and immediately saw the "one's and "ten's. And I thought "from one to ten" was 12 letters and made sense but that just didn't sit right with me. So I kept looking and it jumped out at me. What a relief after last week's swim to the wrong shore. So bummed Whip Tavern isn't closer to me. Sounded amazing!
Richard

Post by Richard »

The ONE in 15 down threw me off for a minute or so, but when everything else fell into place I just ignored it.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I had to put "ashore" on my earlier reply as I was tempted to put in something like "done as intended" instead of my usual "done and done".
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

DBMiller wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:08 am I had to put "ashore" on my earlier reply as I was tempted to put in something like "done as intended" instead of my usual "done and done".
bravo DB, very subtle and dry!
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:46 am
Deb F wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:40 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 pm The first of the photos from today's amazing Muggle Meet-up at The Whip Tavern are trickling in ... more to come. Here are Cynthia, Don, and Chris!
Oh wow. A very favorite spot of mine. Hope someone had the Welsh Rarebit!!! 🐰 Sorry I missed it!
@cbarbee002 recommended the Welsh Rarebit, which we never had prior to then(despite our many trips to the UK). He ordered some for all of us to share. It was fantastic! A great time was had by all!
Now you're making me mad. Not to mention envious and hungry!!! Delighted you enjoyed.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

This is the comic I wanted to attach to my post yesterday, but I think we can all agree that since the puzzle was still active, the censors would have nixed it in a heartbeat. Would you rather win the mug, or the lottery?

PieComic5E.jpg
mconte.wsj

Post by mconte.wsj »

The contest answer is STATE LOTTERY. The clue for BETWEEN (“Word that often follows ‘Think of a number...’”) suggests thinking between ONE and TEN; there are four places in the grid where you can find ONE and TEN sandwiching three-letter strings, and those strings spell the contest answer.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Mike Gurley from Braintree, MA, whose correct solution was selected randomly from 2,689 entries.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Braintree...so close! Congratulations, Mike (if you are out there).
Colin

Post by Colin »

Didn’t get to it over the weekend because it was my son’s and his lovely wife’s wedding celebration (delayed by COVID from last year) on their 1st anniversary. Friends and fam from far and near in Chicago. Fab weekend with a ton of free blues courtesy of The Chicago Blues Festival in Millennium Park, plus the obligatory trip to Kingston Mines. Pity that the trip home involved tornados, lost driving licenses and long delays, arriving in NJ as the sun came up today! Anyway, after a lazy day to recover, my wife and I decided to give the contest a go over dinner tonight and solved in about 90 mins. So we got to the beach but all we could see was a few abandoned towels, couple of empty cans (we put them in recycling) and a lottery ticket with several numbers between one and ten. Guess I’ll keep the ticket and if it comes up, will definitely buy an apartment in Chicago… what a great city!
One world. One planet. One future.