"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Been working so much I have missed the past few weeks' puzzles. This week, the grid took me a couple of hours and the meta only a few minutes. Happy to be ashore!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 am
A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
I have the same issue trying to grow a rose, merry friend. I blame it on the urb-an air quality.

(let the groans com-mints)
Cannot bay leaf we haven’t run out of spice puns yet.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Ashore after a long streak of losses. My wife got it first and later, after doing some prep work for tonight's dinner of Mussels Provencal, I picked up the puzzle and saw the correct second step. As a number have commented, and the same could be said of almost all these, amazing construction.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:58 pm
A complete waste of thyme! There was also a dillemma that soured me, but there was not even anything to photograph. I'm obviously going to have to talk to my gardener, Basil although it is parsley my fault for not adjusting for Florida sun.

Now I feel like Scarlet O'Hara who, when she learned finally that her ancestral home was sold, said TARA GONE?
I have the same issue trying to grow a rose, merry friend. I blame it on the urb-an air quality.

Don't be a nut meg... I mean... Michael. There are lots more, as I was telling my friend Eric the other day. (He's a sage when it comes to puns.) After I zinged him with a particularly good one, I said, "It's your turmeric."

(Am I just being a jerk seasoning all my posts with puns?)
vandono

Post by vandono »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:25 pm

Don't be a nut meg... I mean... Michael. There are lots more, as I was telling my friend Eric the other day. (He's a sage when it comes to puns.) After I zinged him with a particularly good one, I said, "It's your turmeric."

Nah, it keeps the thread from being too vanilla. That's my op-onion anyway. I say keep going, but hyssop to you. Either way, DrTom will cumin later and gingerly curry us across the finish lime. If he can't do it, no one cayenne.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Done and done.
Wonderful construction!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Hunter wanted to run off to get married but his fiancée said no. She said "We canteloupe, if we did our families wouldn't have bean there."
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:19 pm Hunter wanted to run off to get married but his fiancée said no. She said "We canteloupe, if we did our families wouldn't have bean there."
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:19 pm Hunter wanted to run off to get married but his fiancée said no. She said "We canteloupe, if we did our families wouldn't have bean there."
And I would have been in quite a pickle there!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

They weren’t joking that it takes a month to get the glorious WSJ Contest Mug - here was the unboxing yesterday:
D363A28D-48D0-4F00-8D39-54B646E33836.jpeg
E7610FA1-F7C8-4580-BF06-E5ED1E5D002D.jpeg
09CB328E-A34D-4A21-B03E-3685464617C0.jpeg
My puzzle solving skills went up a few notches after the first cup of coffee - no joke! :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:13 pm Ashore after a long streak of losses. My wife got it first and later, after doing some prep work for tonight's dinner of Mussels Provencal, I picked up the puzzle and saw the correct second step. As a number have commented, and the same could be said of almost all these, amazing construction.
Second step??? 😳
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

escapeartist wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:59 pm They weren’t joking that it takes a month to get the glorious WSJ Contest Mug - here was the unboxing yesterday:

D363A28D-48D0-4F00-8D39-54B646E33836.jpeg

E7610FA1-F7C8-4580-BF06-E5ED1E5D002D.jpeg

09CB328E-A34D-4A21-B03E-3685464617C0.jpeg

My puzzle solving skills went up a few notches after the first cup of coffee - no joke! :D
Congratulations!! Impressive…..
and one day I hope to have one
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Saw where this one was going right away.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

vandono wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:03 pm

Nah, it keeps the thread from being too vanilla. That's my op-onion anyway. I say keep going, but hyssop to you. Either way, DrTom will cumin later and gingerly curry us across the finish lime. If he can't do it, no one cayenne.
It's amazing how you can pepper your posts with puns.
iblinked

Post by iblinked »

On shore
Inca

Post by Inca »

@escapeartist I love your tagline and look forward to being able to use the same one soon
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well you will curry favor with me! Bet you didn't see that cumin... Look anything is acceptable in puns unless you anger any Athenians, I don't want to offen you Greeks cause you'll pepper me with salty comments and all I'll be able to say is thanks shallots.

EDIT: Wow I guess I should have read all of the other posts first, most of my puns were used already. I'll just sit in the corner and strum my Za'atar.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:21 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am Was your comment something along the lines of what Michael Scott from "The Office" might say, perchance?

... Her work is so crazy that she got up a 5am the other day not to go to paddling practice (the usual reason)...
Well, that's what you said.....

Paddling practice, my you do have an interesting - but potentially painful - relationship!
I'd whip up a pun or two here, but I don't want to get chained to a stereotype. And as for my wife, I'll leather speak for herself. And while there are a few years between us, we can bond age notwithstanding.
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am And today she is at time trials for the US Dragon Boat team...
I had to Google US Dragon Boat...impressive! Do you get to go to Hong Kong too?
Had I not been working, I would have. She's competed in Hong Kong, China, Thailand, Hungary... Heck, I'm getting Hungary just thinking about the cuisines she's tried! Though sometimes they compete in a smaller cities/towns, not the popular tourist destinations. I was going to go with her to France in 2020, but that competition was cancelled. I've been wining about it ever since.

Given your last two comments, I'd say my wife is the Girl with the Dragon Boat tattoo, but she has none. Though that gives me an idea for a birthday present... Think of the comments I could make at parties!
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:51 am We have an African safari (photo safari) planned for November...
African safari, well that makes my Italy trip pale in comparison. I'd be lion if I said I wasn't a little jealous.
I do take pride in having bagged a spot on that trip.
Well you've shown considerable restraint there.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

escapeartist wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:59 pm They weren’t joking that it takes a month to get the glorious WSJ Contest Mug - here was the unboxing yesterday:
Oh how I've longed for that day....

I think I was crying a little at those photos. :(
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Given your last two comments, I'd say my wife is the Girl with the Dragon Boat tattoo, but she has none. Though that gives me an idea for a birthday present... Think of the comments I could make at parties!
I've seen both the US and the Swedish version of that film, I would not piss her off if she gets one!!!