Every Dog Has Its Day - June 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Got it. Nice one.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

I usually don't have any trouble with the MMMMs, but I submitted what I really really really thought HAD to be the answer and must have been incorrect since I'm not on the leaderboard. Very frustrating. On to (hopefully have better luck with) the WSJ, I suppose...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

littlepigeon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:59 pm I usually don't have any trouble with the MMMMs, but I submitted what I really really really thought HAD to be the answer and must have been incorrect since I'm not on the leaderboard. Very frustrating. On to (hopefully have better luck with) the WSJ, I suppose...
The MMMM leaderboard usually updates within a few minutes, but not always. Sometimes it’s hours. So if no one is on there after you submitted, it may still be pending. 🤞
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 pm
littlepigeon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:59 pm I usually don't have any trouble with the MMMMs, but I submitted what I really really really thought HAD to be the answer and must have been incorrect since I'm not on the leaderboard. Very frustrating. On to (hopefully have better luck with) the WSJ, I suppose...
The MMMM leaderboard usually updates within a few minutes, but not always. Sometimes it’s hours. So if no one is on there after you submitted, it may still be pending. 🤞
I wish! There's a number of people whose submission times would've been after mine (which was around 11 pm CDT yesterday).
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Got it, but I had to ask the internet whether my answer was a pop hit from the 10’s. Yup.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:19 am
HunterX wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:23 am
had to ask my 26 year old son, who was visiting, "Have you heard of a song named ThusAndSuch?" And he said, "Haven't you?"
At this point I've gotten to the point that I just respond with a point to myself and say "Um... I'm woozy, remember".

It's no longer even degrading.
I usually say, "Dude, I'm in my 60's now..." But I used to be considered something of an authority on (mostly modern) music, at least to many of my friends (or in my own mind). Probably went to 100 or so concerts a year, plus 2 or 3 festivals. Hung out at a radio station/concert venue/restaurant a lot. Ended up marrying the long-time Senior Producer of a 30-year old, nationally syndicated radio music performance and interview show (produced at the station where I hung out, and thus met my wife). Have traveled to 10 countries with the show. Nowadays though.... my music is either "old," "not hip," or in some genre my kids scoff at. I actually stunned my kids recently by telling them I actually like a song by Kanye West (who I dislike for many reasons), because it samples (a feature I normally dislike) a great song by King Crimson.

The real joy has been watching my son's taste in music evolve, from heavy metal to math rock and even jazz.
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:23 am
The real joy has been watching my son's taste in music evolve, from heavy metal to math rock and even jazz.

My 16-year old son is a fan of rap. I don't get it even in the slightest. There's really no music (just a beat track) and definitely no singing. I can't understand what the "artists" are saying but I figure that's probably for the best. I will look forward to watching his taste in music evolve, at least I HOPE it does, it can certainly only go up from here!
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

I had the first part of the solution right away but then stared at it for a few days. I can't believe how quickly it solved for me this afternoon when I decided to take one more look. Duh!!! Fun puzzle!!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

From Pete's results write-up:
This month’s randomly chosen winner of an MMMM coffee mug hasn’t responded to my email yet.
Whoa! Everybody check your spam folder. (Sadly, mine is empty.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 6.57.12 PM.png
-Tamara
woozy

Post by woozy »

Kind of funny. I made this joke a few pages ago but... it's not really a joke.

Last night I was sitting on my bed watching television and my dog came in and wanted up but I don't like to pick her up so I have a side of doggy steps toward the end of the bed for her but she doesn't always want to think the process through and is often impatient and tries to figure a way pacing the foot of the bed hoping to stumble on an invisible elevator so I snap my fingers and point to the stairs on the other side of the bed and I say "OVER THERE! OVER THERE". Likewise when we eat dinner she always begs even though we put her food down right at my feet so every night I'm point at her food dish and saying "It's OVER THERE! It's OVER THERE".

So, yes, I made the joke that A Popular Song of the (19)10s that is also a thing you'd say to a dog ought to be "OVER THERE".

Anyhow, the whole thing occurred yet again last night, and I could help but think... yeah, I really wasn't joking; I say it to her *every* day.

[I occasionally say "OUTSIDE" to her but that's not really our communication style. I say "OVER THERE" far more often.]
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.