"Dirty Pool" - May 27, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My mind is still BLanking--will there be an isaAC's last call tonight? I need some help before the sharKS get me, since I am taKIng so long to figure this out. I've had a gliMMER or two, but nothing that pans out.

**Everglades National Park, FL, March 2004
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

ship4u wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:07 pm Besides gardening (and metas), my wife and I enjoy doing leaded glass together. The solid chestnut front door on our 1925 Tudor revival home had been painted many years back and the original leaded glass gone.
That's gorgeous, Don! Such a craftsman.
Kathie
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

LadyBird wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:48 pm My mind is still BLanking--will there be an isaAC's last call tonight? I need some help before the sharKS get me, since I am taKIng so long to figure this out. I've had a gliMMER or two, but nothing that pans out.

**Everglades National Park, FL, March 2004
If there is one, I'll be there. This one is over my head.
Kathie
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I've solved and can do Isaac's Last Call at 8 pm Eastern. That sound okay?
Heidi
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

mindle wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm Ashore.

Beautiful door, @ship4u!

I will check out "The Repair Shop" too :) I'm into sewing, and just getting into woodworking.
They have two ladies who do all the teddy bear work, and as for woodworking... Will is everyone's darling (mine too, I've gotta say). It really is a great show. Not only do people have old stuff they don't want to throw out (they are, like millennia older than the US), but they bring in stuff that was destroyed during the London bombings.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:16 pm Wow, beautiful work! Do you ever watch "The Repair Shop"? It's set in England, in an old barn, and people bring in all sorts of antiques, toys, clocks, teddy bears, etc., to be repaired, and they have an excellent craftsman for each necessary repair. You'd like the the stained glass artisan. I have the hots for -- I mean I respect the artistic talents of -- the leather expert. Awesome show...
Thank you Al and thank you for the show suggestion! We have looked at every episode of "Escape to the Country" at least 5 times, and "Restoration Man", so we appreciate the tip!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
vandono

Post by vandono »

ashore! it's where i thought it should be and - with a little back-solving - i'm pretty confident in the answer. it's been a while. i haven't even had any time to work much on the weekly metas in 2-3 weeks so it feels good to finally finish one.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We apparently needed to starte our celebratory beverage before we could see the answer. Ashore 🏝️ and now can finish off our "Lunar Sunrise" New England IPA.

Maybe another beer will help us with the MG week 4?
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

I’m ashore. Grey Goose Martini with a lemon twist please.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 pm Maybe another beer will help us with the MG week 4?
IMHO, you'll need more than a beer for the MG!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

katnahat wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:01 pm
If there is one, I'll be there. This one is over my head.
Check your PM's
Don & Cynthia

John77

Post by John77 »

On the ship, and likely to remain there.

Look for me at the Apophenia Bar.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am ashore thanks to Heidi and Barbara's help at Isaac's Last Call! No mug this week (not that I've won it any other week when I DID solve!). I'll save my drink for tomorrow's barbecue--a cold beer will taste good in the 90 degree heat (especially after spending four hours out in that heat cleaning animal cages at the wildlife hospital).
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea. Think I’ve found something but can’t make it work yet.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Just remembered I had never posted my status this weekend! I'm still AT SEA, mostly because I've been too busy with a double birthday (our eldest daughter was born on my Mr. Hidden's 30th birthday). He still says it was the best birthday present ever. Since he is a former naval aviator, we had to go to the AMC multiplex on Saturday for the opening weekend of a certain movie. I'm betting most of my fellow MUGgles can figure out the predicted blockbuster of which I speak...
Sara
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

I am ashore, carried there by @ship4u and then Heidi and Barbara on the Last Call. Otherwise, I would never have gotten it. Never! Not submitting. It was an elegant solution, but I thought very difficult. And let me say that I am in awe of the people who had this meta solved before I even finished the grid and also those who solved it without any help.

Believe it or not, we grow Hostas in Texas!
Attachments
IMG_3734.JPG
Kathie
qvart

Post by qvart »

I download the puzzle a couple days ago and nearly forgot about it, but I'm on shore now.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Hopelessly LAS. I see two or three things here, but nothing is leading me to the solution.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 18 on the ship and 160 on the shore

Have a good week and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jbird

Post by jbird »

Uhhhh - nothing's clicking