"Two By Two" - August 23, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore with no doubt this week. Spent a brief amount of time in two silly rabbit holes but I wasn't in them long enough to get even one drink from Isaac. If this easy run continues I'll be singing "50 Ways to Love Your Liver."
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! 5 weeks running! (either they've been easier lately, or we're getting better!). Anyhow, sorry Isaac, but heading out to the beach!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

dgdelion wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am Isaac, Two fingers high please. On shore
Welcome to the land of the muggles. From your post I gather that you have been following us for a bit. Good luck winning the mug and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore!
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am
Inca wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:08 pm
Diana wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 pm I I checked my email Monday morning and thought, "Yep. No mug email. How many of these dang things do I have to get right before I win one?"
I know your point was to indicate how sure you were that your answer was correct.
But, I do have to tell you that when I check my emails Monday morning and there is no advise of a mug coming my way, I do think, "Again? No mug? When will I win it already so that I don't feel "compelled" to do the meta."
It seems so dumb. I do not need the mug. I do not need the mug to confirm that I have actually solved the meta; I've done it so many times by now. So why do I feel that I have to keep doing these metas until i have that solid mug in front of me??? It makes no sense....but it is a fact for me.
Anyone else?
Every week, my husband says, “you know we could just buy you a WSJ mug and you wouldn’t have to go through this...”. He just
does not understand! I must win the mug!
My husband gave me a custom made mug for my birthday last year! It says "Wall Street Journal Crossword Champion" on it! (Heidi)
Heidi
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am Every week, my husband says, “you know we could just buy you a WSJ mug and you wouldn’t have to go through this...”. He just
My husband doesn't understand, either. Yesterday I described the mug to him, and I told him I thought it was just a white mug that said "Crossword Champion" on it. He just rolled his eyes a little and said "That's stupid. Shouldn't it say Crossword Random Drawing Winner?" No respect...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

An early Friday report as the beach is getting more crowded by the minute. We have 3 muggles on the ship and 70 on the shore. Isaac is concerned that he is going to go out of business

And we welcome our two newest muggles

dgdelion from here
and Janet V's daughter from the WSJ comments page
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:24 am
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am Every week, my husband says, “you know we could just buy you a WSJ mug and you wouldn’t have to go through this...”. He just
My husband doesn't understand, either. Yesterday I described the mug to him, and I told him I thought it was just a white mug that said "Crossword Champion" on it. He just rolled his eyes a little and said "That's stupid. Shouldn't it say Crossword Random Drawing Winner?" No respect...
Mad me laugh. My kind of guy!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

done & done
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Nice and very clever gift from Mike made the light go on instantly. Had to check with Mr G as my (correct) entry had me confused. More to follow Monday. Have a great weekend all!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore. 🏖🍹
Konnie
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Solved.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am
Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am
Inca wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:08 pm

I know your point was to indicate how sure you were that your answer was correct.
But, I do have to tell you that when I check my emails Monday morning and there is no advise of a mug coming my way, I do think, "Again? No mug? When will I win it already so that I don't feel "compelled" to do the meta."
It seems so dumb. I do not need the mug. I do not need the mug to confirm that I have actually solved the meta; I've done it so many times by now. So why do I feel that I have to keep doing these metas until i have that solid mug in front of me??? It makes no sense....but it is a fact for me.
Anyone else?
Every week, my husband says, “you know we could just buy you a WSJ mug and you wouldn’t have to go through this...”. He just
My husband gave me a custom made mug for my birthday last year! It says "Wall Street Journal Crossword Champion" on it! (Heidi)
So sweet!
(Susan)
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m on shore! One more shot at the mug!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore! Geez, I stared at this for hours before it clicked.
jamescarter

Post by jamescarter »

On shore.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... perhaps as confident as I've ever been (faint praise, that) ... and ready for the blissful convergence of college football and the Little League final.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, after going down at least 3 wrong paths.
Cynthia
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Tamed!

The genius of our constructors is astounding as always but this richly-featured forum has allowed many astoundingly brilliant posts. A quickie inspired by our poet laureate du jour, Bird Lives:

He sailed upon the Crossword Sea
With a two by two menagerie
But not upon an ark was Noah
For that sea could only float a proa

Composed 3 am in a luxury room at MSK Hospital (there to support a friend) - never gnu they had luxury rooms.
Last edited by 31 Down on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore