Watch It! - May 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
KayW

Watch It! - May 2022

Post by KayW »

May 2022 MMMM Puzzle 5: "Watch It!"

Here’s contest puzzle #5.

Solve using the Crossword Compiler applet, download a PDF, or use Across Lite (PUZ).

There are two valid answers to this puzzle’s meta – a hit song from 1970 and a different hit song from 1999. Each gets you partial credit – send in both (separated by a ‘/’) for full credit.

Send in your answer to the meta before 11pm ET Sunday, May 8, at pmxwords.com.
Thanks and enjoy,

Pete

MMMM - Watch It! spreadsheet
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

So, how will partial credit look in the leaderboard? On the board with one additional point, so I guess I got full credit.

Still need to look for the red herring and mega meta
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Whoops! Late start, didn't see the puzzle until noon CST, lost an hour. Argh. But, I'm in with the correct answer. Good puzzle. Meta was much easier for me this month than last. The big clues popped out at me right away- then it took me maybe 10 minutes to make the jump from there to the actual answer.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

ky-mike wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:45 pm So, how will partial credit look in the leaderboard? On the board with one additional point, so I guess I got full credit.

Still need to look for the red herring and mega meta
If the full answer was 1 point, I'm assuming partial credit will be 1/2? I will be somewhat surprised if many people get partial credit, though- once you figure out either one of the answers, figuring out the other is pretty trivial with just a minute or two of Googling.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On the board -- and I'm not even trying to figure out if I got full credit. Though I think I should have.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board! Full credit.
Heidi
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

Dang it, I have two songs that seem to fit, but I think only one of them is a "hit"
boharr

Post by boharr »

On the board.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

m5rammy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:16 pm Dang it, I have two songs that seem to fit, but I think only one of them is a "hit"
Google the one you're unsure of. I did, as one of the 2 I knew but had no idea it was a hit.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board! No idea if I got full credit or not, I should have checked my score before I submitted. I was sure of one of the songs, not so sure of the other although it seemed the best answer. Anybody know how many points the other puzzles have been worth so far?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Laura M wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm On the board! No idea if I got full credit or not, I should have checked my score before I submitted. I was sure of one of the songs, not so sure of the other although it seemed the best answer. Anybody know how many points the other puzzles have been worth so far?
His site says he scores each month on level of difficulty. I have five points, so they must be all one point including this month.
Heidi
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board!
Cindy Heisler
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

hcbirker wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:31 pm
Laura M wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm On the board! No idea if I got full credit or not, I should have checked my score before I submitted. I was sure of one of the songs, not so sure of the other although it seemed the best answer. Anybody know how many points the other puzzles have been worth so far?
His site says he scores each month on level of difficulty. I have five points, so they must be all one point including this month.
I think you might be looking at the # correct column? I also have 5 correct, but 7 points. I haven't submitted the red herring yet (although I'm 100% sure what it is and should probably do that) but I did submit an incorrect guess for the mega (it was stupid but I thought it would be really cool if I happened to get it in March!) so I think that's a point off.

Update: Submitted the red herring and it was correct, yay. Also it really doesn't look like I've had a point taken off, so maybe it will just get subtracted from whatever points I'll get when I (hopefully) eventually do submit the right answer for the mega?
Last edited by Laura M on Tue May 03, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

From the leaderboard it looks as if boharr, heidi (assume this is hcbirker), kurtalert, and Laura M got full credit: 2 points. They all have 5 correct solves and 7 points. ky-mike appears to have received half-credit: 1 point (unless he had half-credit last month- another 2 pointer).

I haven't submitted this month's yet, so I'm starting with 4 correct solves and 5 points. If I have both parts correct, I expect to have 5 correct and 7 points (April and May appear to be 2 pointers).

Submitted and confirmed! I must have both parts right because I now have 5 correct and 7 points.
Last edited by FKelly on Tue May 03, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On the board, but I only accrued 1 point. It will be interesting to see where I went wrong with one of my songs.

Edit: A point had been added! Good to know I had the right (or acceptable alternative) answer, after all.
Last edited by benchen71 on Wed May 04, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

FKelly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:27 pm
From the leaderboard it looks as if boharr, heidi (assume this is hcbirker), kurtalert, and Laura M got full credit: 2 points. They all have 5 correct solves and 7 points. ky-mike appears to have received half-credit: 1 point (unless he had half-credit last week- another 2 pointer).

I haven't submitted this month's yet, so I'm starting with 4 correct solves and 5 points. If I have both parts correct, I expect to have 5 correct and 7 points (April and May appear to be 2 pointers).
I had 4 correct and five points prior to this month. Anyone who got two points want to DM me to help me understand where I went wrong?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Okay. I'm on a "dumb" streak. Does COVID, my souvenir from my European trip, cause the kind of brain fog that keeps you from seeing metanisms? While I see the "obvious," in the puzzle, and even can go a step further with it, I get nothing after that. Dead end. my brain says, "That's enough for me, you're on your own now." For either song.

Maybe when I fully recover I'll be able to do meta puzzles again.

Or I can just switch the water I've been chugging for something more alcoholic, then I'd have a much better excuse!

And not care either!!
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

I submitted, but I don't seem to have gotten full credit. Oh well, now I wait and see.
gpj73

Post by gpj73 »

I too submitted and got only one point - which is confusing because I’m 99.99% certain I have both answers right … maybe a glitch in the scoring??
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Working together, Mark -- yes, my Mark -- and I solved.
WLW: What a team!!
MRD: We won't need to bring our clipboards to lunch. How weird will THAT be?!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!