"Scale Back" - April 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JJD

Post by JJD »

I was busy this weekend so I just tried this puzzle for fun at lunch and got almost everything except that I took the Theme too literally and used the “back” letters of the subsequent grid entries (CENT ACHES etc), which anagrams to TETRADS, which are 4-note chords!!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.38.22 PM.png
-Tamara
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is CANTATA. Each of the starred answers has a synonym that can be made by putting a note of the scale before another grid answer (GUIDE/DOCENT, ARRIVES AT/REACHES, TRIVIAL/MINOR, BEGAT/FATHERED, COMFORT/ SOLACE, CONCEALED/LATENT, CROWN/TIARA). The first letters of those grid answers spell the contest answer.

We sound like a broken record (speaking of musical terms) but this one was brilliant, elegant, challenging, a true choral masterpiece. We had 875 entries, fewer than usual, with about 82% correct, higher than usual. (Evidently, stumped solvers just gave up instead of taking wild guesses.).

Incorrect submissions included SOLFEGE (21), ALLEGRO (6), ANDANTE (6), CADENCE (4) and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner: John Hayes of Davenport, Iowa!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

According to my calculations, if you submitted the correct answer for every WSJ meta since April 29, 2016, the odds that you won a mug just reached 40%.

If you prefer the micromug approach, you'd now have 508,354 µM - over half a virtual mug. Cheers!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)